Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Thread: FAU vs Louisiana-Monroe

Add topic

Re: Game Thread: FAU vs Louisiana-Monroe

Jab979 said

The rain is coming down in buckets, I'm sure it was not easy for Rusty to see in front of him and so he makes a terrible pass and it's picked off… Why not keep it on the ground especially if you can barely see in front of you.

Because when you run the football on a sopping wet and muddy field it's easy to slip and fall in the backfield when your tailback or quarterback draw is trying to cut through the line to beat a defender.  The passing game was working well for FAU.  I think you did the right thing in continuing to go through the air with what was working best for you.  The ball was slick too so that didn't helped.  Really and truely, you just play your game and hope for the best.  In conditions like that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Back to the top

One important thing I forgot about:

ULM decided on THIRD down to kick that field goal.  When it was blocked and recovered by FAU, the refs didn't know what to do. If they had missed the field goal, left, right, too short, they would have one more down. But the ball was blocked and recovered by the opposing team, FAU. Luckily ULM missed on 4th down also.

But for those that didn't know it, the first attempt was on 3rd down.

Is there an expert on the rules out there that knows how it should have been called? What if the FAU player had picked the ball up and ran for the touchdown.

I personally don't think the refs knew what to do. This needs to be reviewed by the SBC.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

ULM decided on THIRD down to kick that field goal.  When it was blocked and recovered by FAU, the refs didn't know what to do. If they had missed the field goal, left, right, too short, they would have one more down. But the ball was blocked and recovered by the opposing team, FAU. Luckily ULM missed on 4th down also.

Is there an expert on the rules out there that knows how it should have been called? What if the FAU player had picked the ball up and ran for the touchdown.

I personally don't think the refs knew what to do. This needs to be reviewed by the SBC.

If FAU would've picked it up and ran it for a TD it would've been an FAU touchdown and the game would end there because the ball wasn't blown dead.

Now the way I understand overtime is this.  Anytime your team loses possession of the ball and it is not returned by the other team for a TD and the ball is blown dead, then that ends your possession in overtime.  Depending on who had the ball first in OT, the other team would either get a shot win or tie or it would go to the next overtime.

There is no time kept in the overtime period (except for the play clock).
Back to the top

RaiderInTheZone said

illinoisowl said

If FAU would've picked it up and ran it for a TD it would've been an FAU touchdown and the game would end there because the ball wasn't blown dead.

Now the way I understand overtime is this.  Anytime your team loses possession of the ball and it is not returned by the other team for a TD and the ball is blown dead, then that ends your possession in overtime.  Depending on who had the ball first in OT, the other team would either get a shot win or tie or it would go to the next overtime.

So then why was ULM allowed to re kick especially if there was a penalty on them? They had the ball last, they had the FG blocked I don't know who recovered but I thought it was blown dead unless we touch it first kind of like a punt

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Game Thread: FAU vs Louisiana-Monroe

Jab979 said

RaiderInTheZone said

illinoisowl said

So then why was ULM allowed to re kick especially if there was a penalty on them? They had the ball last, they had the FG blocked I don't know who recovered but I thought it was blown dead unless we touch it first kind of like a punt

The answer to your question is I don't think the refs knew what to do. That is why they discussed it for 10 minutes and gave it some bogus name like "illegal batting". What in the heck is that?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

The call on the field was actually correct.  The penalty on ULM was for illegally hitting the ball forward into the end zone.  The down was replayed because of an inadvertent whistle by the refs and the rule for when that happens is to replay the down.  The penalty stood and was marked off, because it happened before the whistle.

So they got the call right.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

RaiderInTheZone said

illinoisowl said

Was that the possession where FAU blocked the punt and then the refs had to deliberate for what seemed forever?  It wound up being offsetting penalties in which the down would be replayed, but ULM had it moved back like 10 yards because ULM committed a 15-yard penalty while FAU committed a 5-yard infraction.
Back to the top

RaiderInTheZone said

Was that the possession where FAU blocked the punt and then the refs had to deliberate for what seemed forever?  It wound up being offsetting penalties in which the down would be replayed, but ULM had it moved back like 10 yards because ULM committed a 15-yard penalty while FAU committed a 5-yard infraction.

See above
Back to the top

New to boards but not to FAU sports, I have missed a handful of games combined in our short football history.  Last nights game, though officiating was VERY QUESTIONSABLE, was very fun to watch.

The wind was an issue once again (as it was in the USF game), but regardless can we get a kicker that knows how to kick a ball?!?!?  It is apparent that Howard doesn't trust the kid.  And on the topic of Kicking….the Punter really struggled last night as well.

BUT THIS IS WHAT REALLY BOTHERED ME ABOUT THE GAME.  If i am a fan/parent/supporter/girlfried/water boy for ULM i should be ashamed of the way that my team reacted to all 300 fans at Lockheart stadium.  These are all D-1 Collegiate Players and Adults.  To have the entire team come to the fence and SPIT, Verbally Slander, and Flick Off the fans was a discrace.  IF i was their couch i would be ASSHAMED.  In High School if we would have done that we would all be in huge trouble.  Some of these "kids" or "juveniles" get paid (scholarships) to play this game.

THANK YOU FAU FOR PUTTING UP A GREAT FIGHT…RUNNING FROM ONE ENDZONE TO ANOTHER WAS A BLAST, ULM I hope your bus wrecks (not litterally  ;D)
Back to the top
Control functions: