Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Article in Boca News mentiones stadium, utilities, water, police, etc.

Add topic

http://www.bocaratonnews.com/news/local/821-boca-facing-a-lot-competition-for-employees-says-mayor.php

On the topic of the university, Whelchel said the city is working to complete the FAU Master Plan so plans for a stadium on the Boca campus can move ahead.  “A stadium at a university is a very positive thing,” she said.  “But from the city’s perspective, we have issues with the campus master plan that we have to be solid with.”

She said a 30,000-seat stadium, as proposed, raises a number of concerns. “It matters who will pay for the roads, the extra police and fire crews, the water, the utilities.”

Whelchel noted with a laugh that the city of Boca Raton will get no revenue from the stadium.  “Do you remember University Commons?”

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Re: Article in Boca News mentiones stadium, utilities, water, police, etc.

Heh. Can you imagine how pissed they'll be if the school ever expands to 45,000 students?
Back to the top

Someone should write to Whelchel. The idea that the city would see no money from the stadium is ludicrous. This type of thinking is why the city is dragging its feet. Restaurants, hotels, gas stations, the mall, etc., would all receive a boost in income from an influx of people. Meaning more money for the city. I don't live in Boca or I would write. Someone living in Boca please send a letter. 
Back to the top

Lago said

Someone should write to Whelchel. The idea that the city would see no money from the stadium is ludicrous. This type of thinking is why the city is dragging its feet. Restaurants, hotels, gas stations, the mall, etc., would all receive a boost in income from an influx of people. Meaning more money for the city. I don't live in Boca or I would write. Someone living in Boca please send a letter.

Agree!
Back to the top

Lago said

Yup… in fact, we have an active thread right now looking for hotels in FORT LAUDERDALE for FAU home games. Now, Florida doesn't need much help attracting tourists in the fall and winter, but it can't hurt. Welcoming thousands of Michigan State fans to the Boca area will be a huge boost. A bowl game will be even more lucrative for the city, with tens of thousands of fans staying here.

Look at how the area around the Bank Atlantic Center has grown over the past few years… new hotels,  condos, etc.
Back to the top

Lm77 said

Lago said

Yup… in fact, we have an active thread right now looking for hotels in FORT LAUDERDALE for FAU home games. Now, Florida doesn't need much help attracting tourists in the fall and winter, but it can't hurt. Welcoming thousands of Michigan State fans to the Boca area will be a huge boost. A bowl game will be even more lucrative for the city, with tens of thousands of fans staying here.

Look at how the area around the Bank Atlantic Center has grown over the past few years… new hotels,  condos, etc.

couldn't agree more, whechel is just being a little short sighted and perhaps playing to what some want to hear.
Back to the top

Article in Boca News mentiones stadium, utilities, water, police, etc.

And you wonder why College sports is such a hard sell down here?

Go to places like Clemson, North Carolina, Tallahassee, etc.  those are the last thing these people are concerned about and traffic is disrupted far worse then FAU will ever experience, since we will be building a 30,000K stadium as oppose to 80K+ stadium some of these schools have.

Since FAU is doing this from scratch, I do think that we need to involve the community as much as possible & get Boca to warm-up to the idea of having football games on Saturday - these should become events that the community does look forward to & plan years ahead for (much like the bigger programs).

I think that Catanese did very little to involve Boca in anything relating to FAU, thus some hard feelings still linger, but it will be FAU's job to sell themselves to the Boca Raton Community and what it will bring to them on every level.  It will take massive amount of smooching and driving an agenda that both can be comfortable with.  FAU will have to take the lead on this and start to change the perceptions the community might already have - no easy task, but one that will have to be done, if FAU is serious about becoming a BIG time program.  Because if FAU thinks for one minute that they can do this without involving the surrounding community then they will continue to get the cold shoulder from Boca.

FAU does have it's work cut out for them, but there should be an individual acting as an an ambassador at all events held by Boca, getting involved in everything and making a presence know that Boca IS an integral part of FAU and vise versa.  These are the times you can ill afford to be stubborn, even if Boca appears to be.  We need them to be supportive of FAU and the future plans that does have a Stadium being build on campus and FAU will need to be diligent in how move ahead on this project an it does start years ahead of the process.

We need to have the community of Boca involved in the process, if we want them to be supportive of FAU in all areas and this does go beyond the governing bodies - Corporate Boca is just as important and of course the  populates of Boca must feel good about the growth FAU and the direction it is taken.

It comes down, we must WIN Boca over, no one like to have a neigbor they can't get along with.
Back to the top
Control functions: