Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How to Sellout the Stadium

Add topic

Johnson Consulting did a study for the Stadium feasibility.

They determined an average attendance of 15,500 based on these numbers:

55,000 alumni in Tri-County area @ 15% = 8,250
3,500 faculty/staff @ 20% = 700
4,000 on-campus students @ 40% = 1600
21,000 off-campus students @ 20% = 4,200

The rest are media and promotional all at 100% = 800

The biggest piece is to get the 55,000 alumni more involved.  Bumping it up each incremental 5% would increase attendance by 2750.  If we got 30% yield for alumni the average attendance would be 23,750 which is just about perfect for a 30,000 seat stadium (accounts for sellouts and less popular games).

The next big piece is off-campus students.  Every 5% here yields about an addition 1,000.

Is a 10,000 seat student section too much to ask for?  If we got off-campus yield to 35% and on-campus yield to 50% that would be 9,350 wild and crazy students.  Not bad if we can fill up a third of the stadium with our own students.  Now imagine if each student brought got their parents or siblings to go to at least one game…I know I am doing that next year, I've got my family invested in season tickets.

So the key here is alumni, students, and in an abstract way general fans that live in the area.  Increase the yields of these 3 groups and people will be demanding we expand to 45k.

Anybody got any ideas? Bring a friend to a game and get a tshirt? Other promotions?

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: How to Sellout the Stadium

They are forgetting two constituent group in that count:
General fans
Donors

Remember that some "general fans" might be alumni or students that don't "declare" their status. At the same time, alumni that use their Owl Cards aren't being counted as alumni but as students.

However, I think those estimates are pretty good. We have to remember that many of the alumni that are counted in the 55,000 didn't have a football team when they came to school year. Only the alumni of the 2000s have the experience of football. And I'll even go further and say that only the students and alumni since 2003 had something to really be excited about.

That's not to discredit the first two years as a program, but no one can dispute the fact that interest and attendance increased as the team got closer to the playoffs in 2003.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Lets worry about getting a stadium first and filling it second.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Anybody got any ideas? Bring a friend to a game and get a tshirt? Other promotions?

Free Beer…..

That's what the Tampa Bay Lightning had to do a few years ago to fill up the place when they were in the Stanley Cup finals…. ::)
Back to the top

I might agree with you on principle….BUT there are bad precedents.. See 10 cent beer night of the Cleveland Indians

Ten Cent Beer Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best quote
"The idea behind the promotion was to offer as many eight-ounce (237 mL) cups of Stroh's beer as the fans could drink for just 10¢ apiece, thus increasing ticket sales. However, the stunt also had the effect of slowly turning the calm and orderly baseball fans into a rowdy and raucous crowd devoid of inhibition."

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I might agree with you on principle….BUT there are bad precedents.. See 10 cent beer night of the Cleveland Indians

Best quote
"The idea behind the promotion was to offer as many eight-ounce (237 mL) cups of Stroh's beer as the fans could drink for just 10¢ apiece, thus increasing ticket sales. However, the stunt also had the effect of slowly turning the calm and orderly baseball fans into a rowdy and raucous crowd devoid of inhibition."

Haha, no i was just kidding.  Any team that has to resort to that is obviously on the ropes.
Back to the top

How to Sellout the Stadium

SeminOWL2006 said

Best quote

You ever been to Cleveland?  Not to sound like a jerk, but I wouldn't want to be wasted with a bunch of people on 10 cent beers in Liberty City either.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

SeminOWL2006 said

Best quote

You ever been to Cleveland?  Not to sound like a jerk, but I wouldn't want to be wasted with a bunch of people on 10 cent beers in Liberty City either.

Cleveland isn't that bad. Better than being in Philly for 10 cent beer night.  ;D

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

i have said this ever since they started talking about a stadium on campus:

Our 1st sell out will be "Miley Siris", i use to say britney spears, but you know what i am heading towards, put any concert in boca and all the kids will beg mommy to take them..

Peyton
Back to the top

Peyton77 said

Our 1st sell out will be "Miley Siris", i use to say britney spears, but you know what i am heading towards, put any concert in boca and all the kids will beg mommy to take them..

Oh please…Like you won't be going also.
Back to the top
Control functions: