Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Wait list for FAU dorms balloons

Add topic

Back to the top

Re: Wait list for FAU dorms balloons

man i wish this was the case when i was living on campus…..so many residents didnt even want to be there at that time…but they had no other option.  Campus life is starting to pick up a bit!!!!
Back to the top

Lago said

Those 500 freshmen are FREAKING OUT about not having anywhere to live.

I have a friend who works at the Bicycle Club and he says he's getting calls from freshmen for apartments there WHILE he's on the phone with freshmen looking for apartments there.

Maybe this sounds too conspiracy theoryish but perhaps Housing is sitting on a bunch of rooms to drive up the waitlist. This may sound crazy but consider that, when they were in talks with the BOT about whether they needed to build the first phase of the Innovation Village apartments, Housing was asked if there was enough legitimate demand to warrant the $50 million construction cost. Having a waitlist of 500 people to show the right people is important to getting more on-campus housing.
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

man i wish this was the case when i was living on campus…..so many residents didnt even want to be there at that time…but they had no other option.  Campus life is starting to pick up a bit!!!!

I don't know when you were there – I was 1990-92 – but those dorms at the time were awful.  I mean, they were beyond awful.  I didn't live on campus, but I had a friend who did, and when I went over it was dark and old and just not very welcoming.  I thought I was walking through a fallout shelter.  And then didn't they condemn one a few years back?  Had to shut one down for some reason, but I forget now.

Yet another thing to put in the FAU-has-come-a-long-way file.
Back to the top

When is Algonquin set to be replaced?  That would be another 500 or so beds if they put in one of the pink shoeboxes right?

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I don't know anything about dorms, but all of these freshman better be at all of the football and basketball games!
Back to the top

Brogen stated he wanted to get the maximum number of out of state students allowed. Is it 10%? This will of course take student housing. With the price of gas, more students will want to live on campus rather than commute long distances. There is no plan for fast enrollment growth but as news of things like Scripps, Max Planck, the football team success, the OE gulfstream generators, etc gets out and the medical program continues to grow adding more students, more applications will come in from all over the state.

I do see more need for more housing, immediately.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Anybody have an idea of when the next dorm is supposed to be built? Is it going to be part of the Village?
Back to the top

This is why the development option for the stadium is a FAILSAFE...its a cash cow...
Back to the top

hmm as said previously maybe theres a conspiracy between athletics and housing to create the appearance of a huge cash cow.  The articles said that previous years there were only like a hundred on the wait list.

not that it matters.. if it helps get the stadium, im all for it, but hopefully we wont need to sell development right so that the rents will be headed into our (FAU) bank accounts not theirs.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: