Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Similar Stadium Concepts

Add topic

Hey FAU fans.  I posted this about a year ago, but now that the stadium is under construction, I thought I'd repost so you can see the progress.  The stadium construction webcams are cool.

http://www.uakron.edu/stadium/

To me FAU and Akron are very similar.  Both were primarily commuter schools.  Akron started the process of adding dorms, student resources, a bit earlier than FAU.  Both play in decaying off campus football facilities.  Both are in recruiting hotbeds (Akron for beefy linemen types and FAU for speed folks).  Both are in the shadows of other state schools.  Many akronites view the "local" college team as tOSU.  And now the on campus stadium projects are similar.  If you check out the link, you will see the stadium and surrounding the stadium is Akron's version of your Innovation Village…it has retail, dorms, offices, and classroom space.

enjoy.
Back to the top

Re: Similar Stadium Concepts

how is the stadium being paid for i notice you guys are still taking donations. But yea it look awsome
Back to the top

Stadium looks great.  Congrats!  Hopefully soon we'll have our own web cams to show off!

Good luck this season.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

how is the stadium being paid for i notice you guys are still taking donations. But yea it look awsome

There is a pretty complex financing package…as is always needed.  The university secures stadium naming rights, they are issueing bonds to pay down stadium debt, there will be a small student activity fee increase, there is anticipated revenue and development contracts for the retail/office space, and across the street (not in the picture) there is another development that will have student and non-student housing and the development revenue for that plays a part as well.
Back to the top

powerofx said

Hey FAU fans.  I posted this about a year ago, but now that the stadium is under construction, I thought I'd repost so you can see the progress.  The stadium construction webcams are cool.

http://www.uakron.edu/stadium/

To me FAU and Akron are very similar.  Both were primarily commuter schools.  Akron started the process of adding dorms, student resources, a bit earlier than FAU.  Both play in decaying off campus football facilities.  Both are in recruiting hotbeds (Akron for beefy linemen types and FAU for speed folks).  Both are in the shadows of other state schools.  Many akronites view the "local" college team as tOSU.  And now the on campus stadium projects are similar.  If you check out the link, you will see the stadium and surrounding the stadium is Akron's version of your Innovation Village…it has retail, dorms, offices, and classroom space.

enjoy.

Cool, man. Have they discussed what retail you're doing or how many dorms you're adding?
Back to the top

Cool, man. Have they discussed what retail you're doing or how many dorms you're adding?

Akron has about 3K students in dorms now…the ultimate goal is 4500 - 5000

While this doesn't answer the specifics of how many dorms and what the retail scene will look like, this gives you an idea of what is transpiring.

http://www.uakron.edu/about_ua/akron_community/university_park_alliance.dot?

While everything I've read points to Boca fighting FAU every step of the way, Akron has been supportive.  With the population and business base shrinking in Northeast Ohio, improvements need to be made for the long term health of the area.  The University Park organization combines UofA, the city, business leaders, companies, etc. to clean up the area around the school, add housing for both students and non-students, and grow business…both retail and corporate.

Its a bright spot with all of the bad news coming out of a shrinking Ohio.  The stadium essentially is right in the middle of the planned revitalized area.
Back to the top

Boca fighting our stadium has been overblown.  They weren't on board when the talks were about a 60,000 seat dome.  Now that it is a 30,000 seat stadium, they seem to be much more supportive.  From everything I've read, they won't stand in our way….nor do they have the authority to stop us.
Back to the top

powerofx said

Akron has about 3K students in dorms now…the ultimate goal is 4500 - 5000

While this doesn't answer the specifics of how many dorms and what the retail scene will look like, this gives you an idea of what is transpiring.

http://www.uakron.edu/about_ua/akron_community/university_park_alliance.dot?

While everything I've read points to Boca fighting FAU every step of the way, Akron has been supportive.  With the population and business base shrinking in Northeast Ohio, improvements need to be made for the long term health of the area.  The University Park organization combines UofA, the city, business leaders, companies, etc. to clean up the area around the school, add housing for both students and non-students, and grow business…both retail and corporate.

Its a bright spot with all of the bad news coming out of a shrinking Ohio.  The stadium essentially is right in the middle of the planned revitalized area.

I like the set-up. Looks like it would be perfect for a Homecoming Parade route too!

We should name ours something like University Park. Innovation Village is… misleading since there isn't that much Innovation involved.
Back to the top

Similar Stadium Concepts

Congrats, hope you guys can give the big boys a run for their money. go Zips!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

U of A is about 100 years older than FAU. You have some history and probably some traditions.

FAU opened its doors in 1964 and dorms were available a year or two after that. Dorms were continued to be built through the 60's then stopped. FAU enrollment continued to grow by leaps and bounds but the next dorm wasn't built until (someone help me here) late 80's maybe. Early 90's. So early on we had an enrollment of 7,000 with 1,100 living on campus. A decade or more later we had 18,000 with 1,100 living on campus. Now 26,000 with about 2600+ living on two campuses that have student housing. All the old original dorms are gone. The other campuses don't have student housing but I wouldn't be suprised to see at least one building go up at Harbor Branch.

I think the FAU goal is 5000 and that goal was made before $4 gas. So who knows.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: