Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Naming rights deal dead

Add topic

Re: Naming rights deal dead

Lm77 said

These excuses would not be acceptable if this were a business.

LM:

You deserve an award for this statement.

This is, in fact, the main culrpit for not only the Stadium woes, but alot of other "issues" as well…there is no accountability…no profit motive.
Back to the top

I don't think FAU's motive is profit so-to-speak; I think their motive is balancing the budget and anything extra is a bonus.

But I know where y'all are going with this and I can't say I disagree.

But I hope you can kind of see the points I am trying to make too: it's not very easy for a school like FAU to build multi-million dollar facilities when our alumni, donors and even students aren't beating down the doors or camping out to get tickets and people aren't joining the FAU Alumni Association and Owl Club.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

That's because there is little to no ROI, because of the former…….

It's all tied together…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

It's all tied together…

What does the acronym ROI stand for?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Florida_Owl said

It's all tied together…

I belive Return On Investment, but Im not 100%

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

walty12 said

ROI = Return On Investment
Back to the top

Naming rights deal dead

smittysahoot said

That's a great post LM77. You definitly put a lot of emotion and time into posting that. And while I don't agree with what you are saying, I can appreciate that you thought it out and put emotion into it.

If I may….

The dome wasn't going to happen from the start, even though I would have liked it. That was over a $150 million project. That was the "dream" scenario, just like we had the "dream" scenario in 2003 when we wanted to build a $28 million wellness and recreation facility.

The 30k stadium… I wouldn't give up on it quite yet…

No Convocation Center - this is true, and there probably won't be one for a while. But it came down to picking a project: Convo or Innovation Village. At least that's the way I see it. And with the $15 million sunk into the Convo, it was a well-done project that will carry us through the Jarvis era. The convo was going to be built for three reasons: basketball…. volleyball … graduations.   Basketball isn't drawing a full house…. ever…. except for one - maybe two games a season. Volleyball doesn't draw a full house - and most vball programs don't (although when I was a student, I went to vball games more than church). And our graduations aren't big enough for a Convo - and if they were - they would be painstakingly long.

Hospital canceled not on FAU's doing but on Boca medical center's doing.

Still no Greek housing… yes…. but there hasn't been a strong enough Greek system. And there's the catch 22:
Greeks: Build us a house and we'll get more numbers
Admin: Get more numbers and we'll build houses.

And part of this is the Greeks unwillingness to compromise in 2004 - 2005 when they were offered wings in current resident halls but didn't want to "earn" the trust of the administration because they "didn't want to cook their own food and couldn't paint the walls." In addition, the freshmen Greeks historically have been the "problem-childs" for RAs.

A lot of this stuff I'm over-anxious about too. But I'm trying to understand that these are multi-million projects. And while our neighboring universities might be able to secure huge projects, we can't. Why? Our alumni base and donor base isn't large enough. Hell….. a lot of people on this board probably aren't even Owl Club and/or FAU NAA members. And we want the community business to throw us millions?

We gotta start small and show that, for example… out of the 106,000 alumni FAU has, 10% are members of either the FAU NAA or the Owl Club. We're no where near that number right now.

And this isn't a shot at anyone on the board, so please don't take it that way, I'm just making observations.

Smitty:
I thought we were over 110K alumni?
When I was graduating in fall 06; Brogan mentioned that FAU was reaching 110K alumni with that class. It's been 2 years already, so we should have at least 120K!
Am I wrong?

thanks
Back to the top

AlexFAU06 said

Smitty:
I thought we were over 110K alumni?
When I was graduating in fall 06; Brogan mentioned that FAU was reaching 110K alumni with that class. It's been 2 years already, so we should have at least 120K!
Am I wrong?

thanks

Maybe we are - I could be wrong with that number but should check.

We probably graduate 3,000 - 4,000 a year.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: