Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2009 Commit List

Add topic

Re: 2009 Commit List

owlfamily said

So what EXACTLY does a Verbal mean?

It ALL this hoopla over someone who is basically just saying " I intended to sign with FAU on Singing Day"?

Are they required to do anything if they decided to change thier mind like notifiy the coaches?

Not sure what a Verbal really means I guess.

Answered my own question, so BASICALLY a verbal is nothing other then a place holder by a High School recruit.

Amazing what Google will find….

Scout.com: College Football Needs Early Signing

What’s your definition of verbal commitment? Verbal commitments have become more of a security blanket the past two years than anything else.

com·mit·ment - The act or an instance of committing - A pledge to do

More than ever, football prospects are verbally committing to the school of their choice only to go out and see if the grass is greener elsewhere.

I’ve already spoke with four verbally committed prospects who said they will look around and visit other schools this summer and fall.

When asked why they are looking around when they are verbally committed, the answer is usually “I’m only verbally committed. I haven’t signed anything yet.”

This makes a bigger argument for an early signing period for college football. It seems like there’s a different definition of VERBALLY COMMITTED than what we’ve been used to in the past.

My definition of a verbal commitment is that the prospect has told his school of choice that he will sign a letter of intent with them in February on National Letter of Intent Day.

The prospect lets that coaching staff know that he’s solid and they don’t have to worry about him and count him in as a recruit at whichever position he plays.

The school in turn commits to that prospect and he knows that his scholarship is secure and that they will stick by that commitment.

Just like an engagement between a couple to get married. They are committed to each other until their wedding day…. There’s an engagement between a prospect and a school until he signs his letter of intent on signing day.

However, it seems like more and more prospects are getting engaged (committed) and looking around for something better.

There’s something very wrong with this. College football needs an early signing period. If they don’t, there will be more and more prospects who will verbally commit early and continue to look around.

Why do they continue to look around after they commit? It’s a security blanket. They know that if they get hurt, their scholarship will still be honored (most of the time) by the school that they made a verbal commitment with.

On the other hand, if they have a great season, they could look at other options while still being committed. It happens every year, I can’t count on my hands and toes the amount of verbally committed prospects who officially visit other schools.

College football needs an early signing period. This will help the prospects, their families and the college coaching staffs.

Why will this help? The prospects can sign early and concentrate on their senior seasons. Their families don’t have to worry about which school their child will attend.

This helps the college coaches tremendously. Just because a prospect VERBALLY COMMITS to them, doesn’t mean they stop recruiting that prospect.

They actually have to work harder with that young man because he’s still going to get letters and calls from other schools asking how solid his commitment is and asking him to at least visit their school to make comparisons.

Until there’s an early signing period in college football, prospects will continue to take that security blanket. Prospects are more educated in the recruiting process than they’ve ever been.

They’re being told to commit early but they’re also being told to keep their options open. One prospect who is now a super college football player actually told me that his coach told him to commit early and if he wants to change his mind down the road he would handle that for him.

This (recruiting) is big business. Jobs depend on recruiting and winning. Sometimes it’s a dirty business. A school will sometimes pull an offer from a prospect for whatever reason. Sometimes a prospect will de-commit and verbally commit with another school.

We’ve seen prospects the past two or three years verbally committed to two or three different schools. Sometimes all at once.

Take the next step NCAA. College football needs an early signing period.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I disagree with having an early signing period. An early signing period would probably be in Oct - Nov… right? If that's the case… we would have had a one win, five loss record and what recruits would we have signed in the early period? Schools that were looking good… FIU, ULL, etc. could have potentially got our recruits in an "early signing period."

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I disagree with having an early signing period. An early signing period would probably be in Oct - Nov… right? If that's the case… we would have had a one win, five loss record and what recruits would we have signed in the early period? Schools that were looking good… FIU, ULL, etc. could have potentially got our recruits in an "early signing period."

I disagree with that part as well. BTW this article is from 2002 so its a little out of date other then containing what a verbal really means. Which is nothing.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Answered my own question, so BASICALLY a verbal is nothing other then a place holder by a High School recruit.

In essense, yes…but if you look at how many have "de-commited" from FAU its rediculous the success we have had…

Actually, come to think of it, i can't even think of one…
Back to the top

Early signing period would be great, especially for non-BCS schools.
I've been following recruiting pretty close for 3 or so years and its amazing how many big programs swoop in with a last week offer and grab a commit from a non-BCS program. This could really help those schools. There are always pros and cons but it would really make things simpler for sure.
Back to the top

2009 Commit List

I am looking at other Sun Belt schools recruiting lists.. Troy and North Texas both have a solid list of SIGNED recruits. FIU has a good list as well, but none have signed with them yet… and hopefully never will. I don't know where we are at in terms of recruiting and NCAA stipulations, but Schnelly & staff need to start locking up guys for 2009…particularly to fill Frantz Joseph's shoes at MLB… I know we have interest from several 3star MLBs too.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

OWLumnis said

I am looking at other Sun Belt schools recruiting lists.. Troy and North Texas both have a solid list of SIGNED recruits. FIU has a good list as well, but none have signed with them yet… and hopefully never will. I don't know where we are at in terms of recruiting and NCAA stipulations, but Schnelly & staff need to start locking up guys for 2009…particularly to fill Frantz Joseph's shoes at MLB… I know we have interest from several 3star MLBs too.

To my understanding, no one can sign anything until Feb. 4, which is national signing day. So they aren't "signed" yet persay.

Also, FAU has locked up some recruits already. However, Coach Schnellenberger has made it a practice of his, and therefore FAU's, not to release any recruits and/or signees names before the deadline. According to Ted Hutton, this is in line with what the NCAA prefers.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

I thought National Signing Day was the only day as well, but visit Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2014 Alabama Commitments and look under some of these schools and you will find there is a section for players who already have signed. This is Tory's list of signed recruits.

SIGNED LOI Pos Stars Ht Wt 40 RR Hometown
James Brown OL ** 6-5 350 - 5.4 Summit, MS
Jason Bruce WR ** 5-10 165 4.5 5.1 Wesson, MS
Ray Carter OL ***  6-4 300 - 5.5 Garden City, KS
Immanuel Dudley DT *** 6-0 280 - 5.5 Booneville, MS
Riley Flowers DT ** 6-1 280 - 5.4 Ellisville, MS

But since Schnelly does not list them until after signing day, maybe FAY has signed recruits and no one but him knows.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

According to Ted Hutton, this is in line with what the NCAA prefers.

it's an NCAA rule…

and as mentioned per above post, you can sign in an early period…
Back to the top

The junior college singing period starts in the middle of December, don’t forget that high school players that graduate early can enroll in college but coaches cannot comment on them until national signing day. 
Back to the top
Control functions: