Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium: 2010?

Add topic

Back to the top

Re: FAU Stadium: 2010?

Nice article. Good work.

I am glad to read that things are still possible for 2010. At least we know that something is going on as opposed to not hearing anything for months and months. Fingers crossed that the financing comes through.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I hate to say it, but I think the chances of having the stadium done by 2010 are nonexistent. FAU, again, has delayed too long.
Back to the top

Lago said

I hate to say it, but I think the chances of having the stadium done by 2010 are nonexistent. FAU, again, has delayed too long.

I tend to agree. Unless dirt starts moving in the next month it is going to be 2011.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

If it doesn't happen for '10 and with an open date on the slate for '11 - there is still a chance to have a BIG time opponent to open the stadium with (might even be a better opponent then Michigan State).

& it might be wise® to wait for an GRAND Opening of '11 instead of a conference foe in '10 - more bang for your buck.

Howard is a master at orchestrating BIG events.

We will see.
Back to the top

Lago said

Why do you think FAU is at fault for not having the stadium?

They had a bank ready to finance the stadium (PBP reported) and that fell through because the bank pulled out. It's not FAU's fault that $12 million isn't rolling in. FAU is doing what they can by targeting prospects, putting out promotional materials, virtual tours, etc.

In no way do I think this is FAU's fault.

It's been well documented that FAU has one of the lowest alumni giving rates among Div. 1 football programs. It's also well documented that FAU's attendance has only been over 20,000 people two or three times (thinking out loud without looking at stats…. USF, opening game in 2001 and that's it, right?). So FAU is selling a product that (even though we know it's great), a potential investor is saying: "hmmmmm… FAU gets 15,000 fans for a game and their alumni giving rate is very low. They have a growing campus, but their student body, although making strides, is still rather apathetic as a whole."

In general… I would be open to a logical discussion as to why some fans, alumni, etc. think it's "FAU's fault" for not finding someone to donate $12 million.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Nice article. Good work.

I agree.

I'm glad they're finally negotiating the $12m housing deal. That should have happened months ago.

As I said before, I think we'll see construction fences go up during Spring Break if the stadium is happening by August 2010. If fences go up over summer, it will open later in 2010. If we don't see fences by summer, I'll say 2011.

Until we know more, saying "It won't happen in 2010" is useless. It just makes everyone here feel bad and then bleeds all over the internet as fuel in flame wars.
Back to the top

FAU Stadium: 2010?

smittysahoot said

Lago said

Why do you think FAU is at fault for not having the stadium?

They had a bank ready to finance the stadium (PBP reported) and that fell through because the bank pulled out. It's not FAU's fault that $12 million isn't rolling in. FAU is doing what they can by targeting prospects, putting out promotional materials, virtual tours, etc.

In no way do I think this is FAU's fault.

It's been well documented that FAU has one of the lowest alumni giving rates among Div. 1 football programs. It's also well documented that FAU's attendance has only been over 20,000 people two or three times (thinking out loud without looking at stats…. USF, opening game in 2001 and that's it, right?). So FAU is selling a product that (even though we know it's great), a potential investor is saying: "hmmmmm… FAU gets 15,000 fans for a game and their alumni giving rate is very low. They have a growing campus, but their student body, although making strides, is still rather apathetic as a whole."

In general… I would be open to a logical discussion as to why some fans, alumni, etc. think it's "FAU's fault" for not finding someone to donate $12 million.

Smitty I was thinking the same thing. I don't think this is FAU's fault for once. Right now is just a bad time to be building anything. Should the stadium have been built years ago? Probably but it wasn't and so we're hoping for 2010. With Banks going out of business and other companies needing bailouts I don't think anyone is in the position to give $12M right now. Look at Citi they're getting A LOT of heat from people because they just received a bailout and they refuse to remove their name from the NY Mets new baseball stadium.

Smitty as far as attendance I'm sure there were a few more games over 20,000 fans. USF, the I-AA playoff game and quite possibly the Troy game this season, which was the most packed I've seen lockhart for a game other than USF

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I would estimate start finish to be about 18 months with no or minimal set backs.

This should qualify for some stimulus program "Shovel Ready" getting people back to work, right. Create jobs, job one !!! Also throw in the Spanish River Exit plan, more jobs damn someone make the call we have 2 project that bring about 200 lobs for at least 2 tears and allmost forgot the whole innovative village thing and year or two probably at least 75 more people. There you have it, a plan to help stimulate the economy. This should be a gold star project
Back to the top

IMO, they are buttering everyone up for the 2011 push back date with phrases like "we're optimistic".  I agree that it's not FAU's fault, if you don't have the money then you just don't have the money.  At this point i'd say there's about a 20% chance of the this thing being up by 2010.  I imagine that HS, Brogan, and Angelos are just as frustrated as we all are.  Prove me wrong please!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: