Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Innovation Village - It's a GO!

Add topic

Re: Innovation Village - It's a GO!

I think this area is part of the preserve (state grounds) but not 100%…….

Pretty sure they got every inch they could based on legislation though…
Back to the top

Rick said

I think this area is part of the preserve (state grounds) but not 100%…….

Pretty sure they got every inch they could based on legislation though…

We own everything up to the fence by the runway. So yes, they'll probably have to build some kind of sound barrier over there in order to accommodate those students.

Years from now, and who knows how many years, that preserve will all be filled up with university buildings. It will approximately double the size of campus.

I don't say this because I have a direct line to the architect or anything. Universities expand all the time and if you look at our boundaries, we don't have much room at all left in the core so everything will be built out from there.

Back to the top

I believe FAU has some additional land north of Spanish river, and to the east of the fish farm.  I've heard talk of builidng a remote parking lot out there.
Back to the top

Another view from Ted's Blog

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Innovation Village - It's a GO!

Bytor was at Media Day today and sure he will have more on this, but it's is "officially" 2011…….

Surprise!!! ;D

Back to the top

Rick said

Bytor was at Media Day today and sure he will have more on this, but it's is "officially" 2011…….

Surprise!!! ;D

No offense to the FAU people involved but when that first shovel hits the ground then I'll believe it. I'm sure it will happen just don't want to hear it's officially 2011 then 2011 comes and nothing happens

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

"I can now talk to new recruits coming in about how we will have a new stadium by 2011," FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said. "It is irreversible and irrevocable. The architects that have already been working, the builders that have been pricing out material, the amount of money the university has already put into this venture … rest assured, there is no ifs, ands or buts about it."

and…

"For us to build a stadium in the 10th year of our existence, from 2001 to 2011, when we get that done, that's going to be recordsetting," Schnellenberger said. "See if anyone else has ever done it. And to do it in a place not only where they didn't have a football team but at a school where they didn't even have interest in a football team … this will happen."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/aug/07/fau-aiming-new-stadium-2011/sports/

Back to the top

The impact on recruiting now will be HUGE…there is to be no more of other programs using this against us…

Forget O'Liary…forget Crystal Ball…forget Leave-it…

One crucial element will be for us to make a Bowl this year…if we do it, then the momentum going into next Spring when they break ground (and have kids visiting) will be a serious factor to be reckoned with from competing teams going for the same recruits…i could see us making a solid swing upward into completely uncharted territory/history given our time in exsistence (as HS mentioned indirectly above).  We have done all of what we have done with what most would call the "leftovers" and "second choice" kids…imagine what we will now be able to do, under his leadership, with first tiers who want to make history and not be another number on a roster.

Schnellenberger will likely get another extension on his contract since 2010 is not going to happen…rightfully so…besides, he's fit as a fiddle and still sharp as a tack; no matter how many mumbles he makes…the man is a football genius.

For him, i am most excited about this process finally being solidified…he deserves to have some part of the facility named after him…period.

Without him, we would have nothing - not even a team to be proud of.

Back to the top

Rick said

The impact on recruiting now will be HUGE…there is to be no more of other programs using this against us…

Forget O'Liary…forget Crystal Ball…forget Leave-it…

One crucial element will be for us to make a Bowl this year…if we do it, then the momentum going into next Spring when they break ground (and have kids visiting) will be a serious factor to be reckoned with from competing teams going for the same recruits…i could see us making a solid swing upward into completely uncharted territory/history given our time in exsistence (as HS mentioned indirectly above).  We have done all of what we have done with what most would call the "leftovers" and "second choice" kids…imagine what we will now be able to do, under his leadership, with first tiers who want to make history and not be another number on a roster.

Schnellenberger will likely get another extension on his contract since 2010 is not going to happen…rightfully so…besides, he's fit as a fiddle and still sharp as a tack; no matter how many mumbles he makes…the man is a football genius.

For him, i am most excited about this process finally being solidified…he deserves to have some part of the facility named after him…period.

Without him, we would have nothing - not even a team to be proud of.

I think Howard is getting some inspiration from Bowden and Paterno to stick around. Howard said he gave birth to this program rather than adopting it. He might feel like he is deserting his family if he retires.
I know many of these kids including many of the members of this board put a lot of value on youth. There is something to be said for the wisdom and knowledge aquired over time. Its priceless. The only way to get it is to pay the price and live that long.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

fauowl said

"For us to build a stadium in the 10th year of our existence, from 2001 to 2011, when we get that done, that's going to be recordsetting," Schnellenberger said. "See if anyone else has ever done it. And to do it in a place not only where they didn't have a football team but at a school where they didn't even have interest in a football team … this will happen."

I think this is a great quote to reflect on. During this process I was frustrated just like many others but in retrospect this whole thing is quite an achievement. 10 years ago today, Howard was standing on that tree stump in the middle of the cafe trying to get students to listen to him talk about football…a few years after that, we're debating the secondary speed of Bethune Cookman, and now we're staring down the barrel of playing Nebraska in our opener, after winning two bowls, and a stadium on the very near horizon. It's great, to be, an FAU Owl ;)

We're all guilty of bitching about the speed of this process but seriously, we've come a long way, and we should appreciate that.
Back to the top
Control functions: