Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Real or Fake grass

Add topic

Saw this on the Sentinel was curious what the Nest thought.

Flip Flop Football | Real or fake grass field at FAU's new stadium?
Back to the top

Re: Real or Fake grass

It's going to be grass…

Lobbied for a blue field before, but didn't even get a response on it!   lol
Back to the top

I think we will go with real grass, atleast at first.  A blue field would be cool though.  I think from a cost standpoint, and maybe some fans, turf is a good choice, for the looks, durability, and low maintenance.  My sister is an athletic trainer, and between herself, and some of the other trainers I've talked with, both trainers and athletes seem to hate the turf, as it is more injury prone.  I'm not sure if I belive that or not, but I'm not a trainer or an athlete.  I do have to say though that I got to walk on the field over here at Tropicana Field, and the turf was not what I expected.  It was a rubber fiber material that was real "springy".  That was kinda cool, but there was tiny pellets of crushed rubber or some other material that is used as filler I guess.  That stuff got everywhere, in my flip flops, on my shorts, it was a mess.

It's my own personal opinion though that in the near future we are going to start seeing a lot more turf used on fields versus grass.  I think it's gonna come down to a water supply issue and at some point state and federal agencies are going to encourage (read not permit) facilities to use artificial turf and save water for business/residential/agricultural use.  Just a thought.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

I think we will go with real grass, atleast at first.  A blue field would be cool though.  I think from a cost standpoint, and maybe some fans, turf is a good choice, for the looks, durability, and low maintenance.  My sister is an athletic trainer, and between herself, and some of the other trainers I've talked with, both trainers and athletes seem to hate the turf, as it is more injury prone.  I'm not sure if I belive that or not, but I'm not a trainer or an athlete.  I do have to say though that I got to walk on the field over here at Tropicana Field, and the turf was not what I expected.  It was a rubber fiber material that was real "springy".  That was kinda cool, but there was tiny pellets of crushed rubber or some other material that is used as filler I guess.  That stuff got everywhere, in my flip flops, on my shorts, it was a mess.

It's my own personal opinion though that in the near future we are going to start seeing a lot more turf used on fields versus grass.  I think it's gonna come down to a water supply issue and at some point state and federal agencies are going to encourage (read not permit) facilities to use artificial turf and save water for business/residential/agricultural use.  Just a thought.

The little pieces of black are ground up tires.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Real grass. This way, we can re-paint the lines when we host a bowl game! Or more realistically, host a soccer game, or other sports that could pay for their own designs and lining of the field.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Real grass. This way, we can re-paint the lines when we host a bowl game! Or more realistically, host a soccer game, or other sports that could pay for their own designs and lining of the field.

+1
Back to the top

I'd love to have real but what happens if an owl decides to nest on in?

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

I'd love to have real but what happens if an owl decides to nest on in?

Good point. I would hope there would be a lot of traffic in and around the stadium so Owls wouldn't nest there. But that theory was proven wrong in 2004ish when Owls burrowed on the Timuqua (spelling) lawn.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Real or Fake grass

just do what the airports do an fire off a cannon every so often
Back to the top

I say grass. This is Florida, not Boise Idaho. When I think Florida I think real grass

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: