Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Letter from Coach Schnellenberger on Stadium

Add topic

The approval of plans for a new stadium by the Florida Atlantic University board of governors is a historical event.

On May 1, 1998, Florida Atlantic embarked on the journey of bringing to life a top-notch football team in the heart of paradise, Boca Raton. Because of the dedicated coaches and players, we have reached many benchmarks, including a conference championship and back-to-back bowl wins.

These accomplishments gave credence that initial lofty goals could be reached. With the successful commitment to build a 30,000-seat, stadium on our campus, we now have the ability to continue the mission.

Though it seems like a long and arduous process, we must point out that Florida Atlantic is building a stadium from scratch, without the use of tax dollars. Many of our contemporaries have their stadium foundation and are now adding on or remodeling their current stadium

For a university to give birth to a collegiate program and a stadium within a 10-year time span is in itself a monumental task. It has taken the best efforts of the university; the Football Founders; student government; the student body, both past and present; three university presidents in Anthony Catanese, the initiator; Frank Brogan, who kept the dream alive; and now Mary Jane Saunders, who has carried the ball home; as well as the city of Boca Raton; and the FAU alumni who show support as boosters and fans at every game both home and away.

This stadium will transform our campus into a beautiful residential campus full of tradition and pride for the many students yet to arrive. It also will give the athletics department a facility to grow its many programs.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Howard Schnellenberger
Back to the top

The approval of plans for a new stadium by the Florida Atlantic University board of governors is a historical event.

On May 1, 1998, Florida Atlantic embarked on the journey of bringing to life a top-notch football team in the heart of paradise, Boca Raton. Because of the dedicated coaches and players, we have reached many benchmarks, including a conference championship and back-to-back bowl wins.

These accomplishments gave credence that initial lofty goals could be reached. With the successful commitment to build a 30,000-seat, stadium on our campus, we now have the ability to continue the mission.

Though it seems like a long and arduous process, we must point out that Florida Atlantic is building a stadium from scratch, without the use of tax dollars. Many of our contemporaries have their stadium foundation and are now adding on or remodeling their current stadium

For a university to give birth to a collegiate program and a stadium within a 10-year time span is in itself a monumental task. It has taken the best efforts of the university; the Football Founders; student government; the student body, both past and present; three university presidents in Anthony Catanese, the initiator; Frank Brogan, who kept the dream alive; and now Mary Jane Saunders, who has carried the ball home; as well as the city of Boca Raton; and the FAU alumni who show support as boosters and fans at every game both home and away.

This stadium will transform our campus into a beautiful residential campus full of tradition and pride for the many students yet to arrive. It also will give the athletics department a facility to grow its many programs.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

Howard Schnellenberger
Back to the top

Re: Letter from Coach Schnellenberger on Stadium

i'm just as happy as the next guy its finally done. just feel a bit jaded that all these people are patting themselves on the back. it took them 13  years. i think it was a pretty piss poor job.
Back to the top

i'm just as happy as the next guy its finally done. just feel a bit jaded that all these people are patting themselves on the back. it took them 13  years. i think it was a pretty piss poor job.
Back to the top

I disagree. The distance covered by this program is great. I, too, wish the stadium had been done earlier. But I understand the difficulties when one factors in (1) the economy, (2) politics, (3) the state education bureaucracy, (4) the lukewarm community support and (5) the less-than-spectacular student enthusiasm. I'm amazed they were able to move this fast, and I'm grateful.
Back to the top

I disagree. The distance covered by this program is great. I, too, wish the stadium had been done earlier. But I understand the difficulties when one factors in (1) the economy, (2) politics, (3) the state education bureaucracy, (4) the lukewarm community support and (5) the less-than-spectacular student enthusiasm. I'm amazed they were able to move this fast, and I'm grateful.
Back to the top

eh. i disagree. what's been done on the field has been nothing short of amazing.

But lending has been just about free for the last 7 years and has only gotten better.

The price of construction has come down greatly.

there's been a waiting list for the dorms for the last 3 years.

that's just poor planning in my opinion.  i respectablly, highly disagree with you.
Back to the top

eh. i disagree. what's been done on the field has been nothing short of amazing.

But lending has been just about free for the last 7 years and has only gotten better.

The price of construction has come down greatly.

there's been a waiting list for the dorms for the last 3 years.

that's just poor planning in my opinion.  i respectablly, highly disagree with you.
Back to the top

The amount of time it took to get a stadium on campus is actually amazing.  What did it take Louisvile, 100 years?  Miami Hurricanes, never?

Our issue is that WE have lived through the process, that is why it seems like a long time.  In the BIG picture, this was nothing.  We were a Divison 2 basketball conference until 1994.  Now we have an on campus stadium for division 1 football at FAU.

Seriously, this is absolutely incredible in the big scheme of things.

We were a 2 year school not that long ago. 
Back to the top

The amount of time it took to get a stadium on campus is actually amazing.  What did it take Louisvile, 100 years?  Miami Hurricanes, never?

Our issue is that WE have lived through the process, that is why it seems like a long time.  In the BIG picture, this was nothing.  We were a Divison 2 basketball conference until 1994.  Now we have an on campus stadium for division 1 football at FAU.

Seriously, this is absolutely incredible in the big scheme of things.

We were a 2 year school not that long ago. 
Back to the top
Control functions: