Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

''Stars do not not matter''

Add topic

Re: ''Stars do not not matter''

owlcountry40 said

I was reading through some of the old recruiting threads and there so many of who who argued that and that level of college football stars do not matter and Howard just has an eye for talent also how it does not matter how FIU our recurits us every year.
I was JW wondering how you guys feel about that now as FIU is 3-0 after and beating a C-USA AND Big East  schools and out bottom 5 classes every year reflect right where we are in the rankings.

Does Louisiana Monroe have great recruiting classes?  I was just wondering what our thoughts were?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

HAHA, you guys just dont get it.

You think because we won the R+L Carriers bowl or the Detroit Motor City bowl we were going to be able to recruit with the Oregons of the world?  Do you have any clue what their facilities, fan base, campus, etc. look like?  I think most of you need to get on a RV and drive around this country to different college campuses to get a real feel.

Of course stars matter in a way because high school All-Americans get 4 and 5 stars.  The ODDS they'll be good in college are higher, the ODDS they would come play at Lockhart in the Sun Belt…not so high.  There is a lot more that goes into it than stars…there is character and the fact that they will have to fit into the system you run.

Jeff Brantley - 5 Stars…not a 5 star player under Meyer.  Rusty Smith - 1 Star…5 Star player under HS.

No you do not get out 2010 was 122 in the country that means 2 1-aa schools finished better then us stop useing lockheart as an excuse many schools would do anything do be in the top recruiting area in the country and have some bowl success. I just have no idea how does schools other non bcs school come here and take recruits out of our back yard. No one says we should be better then Oregon maybe just WKU who has 5 recruits from Florida last year.
And for everyone Rusty Smith we also have players like Avery Holly Dearndre Richardson and i can go on. 
Back to the top

''Stars do not not matter''

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

HAHA, you guys just dont get it.

You think because we won the R+L Carriers bowl or the Detroit Motor City bowl we were going to be able to recruit with the Oregons of the world?  Do you have any clue what their facilities, fan base, campus, etc. look like?  I think most of you need to get on a RV and drive around this country to different college campuses to get a real feel.

Of course stars matter in a way because high school All-Americans get 4 and 5 stars.  The ODDS they'll be good in college are higher, the ODDS they would come play at Lockhart in the Sun Belt…not so high.  There is a lot more that goes into it than stars…there is character and the fact that they will have to fit into the system you run.

Jeff Brantley - 5 Stars…not a 5 star player under Meyer.  Rusty Smith - 1 Star…5 Star player under HS.

No you do not get out 2010 was 122 in the country that means 2 1-aa schools finished better then us stop useing lockheart as an excuse many schools would do anything do be in the top recruiting area in the country and have some bowl success. I just have no idea how does schools other non bcs school come here and take recruits out of our back yard. No one says we should be better then Oregon maybe just WKU who has 5 recruits from Florida last year.
And for everyone Rusty Smith we also have players like Avery Holly Dearndre Richardson and i can go on.

Avery was Broward athlete of the year and only came to FAU because we let him play basketball as well.  Bad example.

I can go on and name a bunch of 4 and 5 star busts at UM, FSU and UF…whats your point?

We aren't as good as WKU?  Whats their record vs us?  Whats FIU's?

Lockhart is not an excuse…its a fact.  I can name many schools the size of FAU in Texas, Ohio and California that aren't good and they are in "recruiting hot beds" as well.

Back to the top

Walty - let's not bring up your past threads where you actually lauded our recruits because you trusted HS's judgment more than the 'gurus' on this board.  :-\
Looks like you at least finally see the light and agree that FAU's recruits are sub par.

Just a cursory review of our past recruits vs. FIUs recruits (and I know you are not going to sit here and tell us that FIU has top notch facilities or that because of the recently completed 'Cage' we couldn't sell our program over what was not too long ago a ONE win FIU team):

Schools that actually OFFERED recruits that ENDED UP AT FIU in the past few years:
Virginia, Miami, Colorado, Louisville, Duke, Illinois, West Virginia, Arkansas, Minnessotta, Vanderbilt, Iowa, Kansas State, Northwestern, Auburn, Mississippi, Nebraska, Purdue, Rutgers, South Florida, Tennessee….

Do you really want me to get into the schools that also offered recruits that actually ended up here? I think all fair minded people understand this is a hotbed for recruits, and with our previous success and an an arguably legendary coach, we should NOT be dead last in D1 recruiting - there is no way to spin it. The stadium, while a legitimate concern, is just becoming the easy excuse.
Back to the top

There's really no winning to this argument. I'm kind of in the middle and can see both sides of the argument. Their really isn't going to be an answer or a true way of knowing. If we start to get 3-5 star players after this season then the argument will either be it's because of the new coach he can recruit this area better than current staff we have now, or it'll be I told you so, once we got that stadium we would start to get better recruits.

The only way to ever know would be if the current staff stayed in place for another season with the stadium already in place. Since that's not going to happen this is an argument that will never really have an answer. Kind of like what came first the chicken or the egg

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

d-owl said

Do you really want me to get into the schools that also offered recruits that actually ended up here?

Sure, let's take a look at that…….

Low and behold, FIU tied Memphis for the school that offered our last class the MOST They wanted six of our guys?! Go figure!

;D

Bethune-Cookman
Bowling Green
Central Michigan x 2
Eastern Michigan
FIU x 6
Georgia Southern University
Georgia Tech
Kansas
Kentucky
Memphis x 6
Middle Tennessee x 2
Minnesota
Navy
New Mexico
Rutgers
Southern Cal x 2
Texas Tech
Tulsa
UCONN
Western Kentucky x 5
Western Michigan x 2
Youngstown State University

However, I do see more consistency from the Sun Belt line of programs…and less diversity overall. They have more one-off offers from large programs…but looking at the list above, we still held our own, IMO.
Back to the top

Of course, they are recruiting "some" of the same Florida recruits, but not many obviously. And we know about Memphis and W. Kentucky recruiting Florida hard. Not many BigSix programs on there are they?
GOTTA UPGRADE recruiting (AND COACHING) if we are gonna even DREAM OF filling 30,000 seats. South Florida will not pay these ticket and parking (am I imagine concession) prices to watch a barely better than High School level program.
Back to the top

Here, here:

The nature of the thread's initial post is how FIU has outrecruited us, and that's why there WERE undefeated at the time of this posting; not how many Big Six programs were involved with either program's recruits…

Of course this was before the Panthers lost to a ULL squad whose signees didn't even have nearly the offers that either FIU's or FAU's had from larger programs ;D

Bottom line:

Out of the Owls' 24 member 2010 signing class, FIU offered six. And that is more than "some", that's 25% of the total class!

So…….

Back to the top

We're all fishing on the same lake.

The whoopers go to the high end bass boats, with 400HP Evinrudes, Fish finders, etc (FSU, UF, Miami. AQ programs)

Most of the bigger fish go to family pontoon boat with beer coolers, trolling motor etc… (USF, UCF Cusa-MWC)

The smaller fry go to those of us in a 2 man cannoe. (FAU FIU 'Belt level)

FIU landed a almost whopper in TY and made the most out of it.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

d-owl said

Walty - let's not bring up your past threads where you actually lauded our recruits because you trusted HS's judgment more than the 'gurus' on this board.  :-\
Looks like you at least finally see the light and agree that FAU's recruits are sub par.

Lets bring them up…No, I dont agree or "see the light"…and I do trust Howard Schnellenbergers opinion more than yours any day of the week.  The guy has been coaching for 50 years….you have been playing Madden 11 on play station 3…c'mon bud.

There is a ton of talent on our roster.  They are not 'sub par' they are par for the facilities we played in.

NOBODY, EXCEPT JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF (AND THATS DEBATABLE) COULD HAVE RECRUITED BLUE CHIP PLAYERS TO LOCKHART.  IF YOU THINK THAT IS AN EXCUSE AND NOT A FACT, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND.  We have done more with less than ANY PROGRAM IN HISTORY!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY THE STADIUM THAT HS BUILT FOR YOU THIS YEAR…HAVE A BEER AND REALIZE YOU WILL NEVER KNOW 1/1000TH OF WHAT HE KNOWS ABOUT FOOTBALL.

Back to the top
Control functions: