Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Recruiting Notebook 11/9 - Owls after Oklahoma safety

Add topic

When Florida Atlantic announced Thursday afternoon that they would be traveling to Tulsa in 2015, many people didn’t realize the impact it would have on the recruiting trail.

Nick Ward – a 6-foot-2, 190-pound safety – out of Southmoore high school in Oklahoma, has recently become a hot prospect for the Owls.

The hard hitting defender has been in contact with defensive coordinator Pete Rekstis, but hadn’t heard the news of the future game in the Sooner state until I informed him.

His reaction?

“It would be a great to play back in my home state versus the Hurricanes if I make my way down to Florida,” he said.

While Ward hasn’t been extended an offer by the Owls, he feels that one could soon be on the way.

“They haven’t offered me yet, but the coaches have been calling me a lot and my coach thinks they are close to offering,” he said.

Southmoore head coach Jeff Brickman is responsible for FAU’s interest in the safety, primarily because of his effort to send the prospect’s highlight tape to the coaching staff.

The result was Rekstis taking notice of the footage and reaching out to Ward over the phone.

Since then, the defensive back has set up an official visit for a date in December and talked on numerous occasions with the coach.

“I think coach Reksis is going to be a really good coach and role model, he seems like a respectable person and a great father towards his two daughters. He would be someone I can see myself working hard for and learning from,” he said.

Ward currently holds no FBS offers, but that doesn’t mean the prospect isn’t worthy of a few. Maryland, North Texas, Army, New Mexico and Colorado State all have shown some interest in the free-ranging safety.

This isn’t the first time FAU has recruited someone from Oklahoma, current tight end coach and former Owl quarterback Jarred Allen hails from the city of Edmond.

Ward wasn’t aware of Allen’s history with the program, but seemed intrigued when I mentioned it.

“I have never been to Florida, but would love to check it out down there,” he said.

The defensive back has snagged four interceptions this season for a team that has made the playoffs in the state’s highest football classification. His highlight tape can be seen here.

- I had the opportunity to speak with current FAU commitment Austin Bland this past week, and he assured me that he is solid on his pledge to the Owls. The offensive lineman also told me that he watched the FAU-Navy on television over the weekend and thought the Owls “played great.” He will be taking an official visit in December as well.

- It appears that the Owls have backed off of the recruitment of Lakewood athlete Tracy Johnson. I spoke with the prospect a few days ago, and the initial impression I received was that the coaches hadn’t communicated with Johnson in a while. FAU  originally offered the athlete - who plays quarterback for his high school - back in the summer, but since then the relationship has faded.

- For those wondering, the Shula Bowl next Friday looks like it is going to be one of the biggest recruiting events in recent memory. I have already compiled a list of over ten prospects that I know will be on hand for unofficial visits, and expect more to be added as we get closer to the game. Check back next week for a list of who will be on the sidelines taking in the action.
Back to the top

Re: Recruiting Notebook 11/9 - Owls after Oklahoma safety

Andrew said

- For those wondering, the Shula Bowl next Friday looks like it is going to be one of the biggest recruiting events in recent memory. I have already compiled a list of over ten prospects that I know will be on hand for unofficial visits, and expect more to be added as we get closer to the game. Check back next week for a list of who will be on the sidelines taking in the action.

Thanks man, great report.

We HAVE to make the Red Out happen and that game HAS to be the biggest event we can. With a ton of recruits in we need to show them how loud and proud that stadium can get.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

We HAVE to make the Red Out happen and that game HAS to be the biggest event we can. With a ton of recruits in we need to show them how loud and proud that stadium can get.

It would help if FAU Athletics would get behind the Red-out. I think they're being stubborn and saying, "No, WE said it's going to be Military Appreciation Day, so THAT is what WE'RE doing."
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

It would help if FAU Athletics would get behind the Red-out. I think they're being stubborn and saying, "No, WE said it's going to be Military Appreciation Day, so THAT is what WE'RE doing."

Yup, but since they arent, then we need to do it ourselves.

Getting KLV and Dieter involved. Greeks pushing it. Spreading the word here.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Yup, but since they arent, then we need to do it ourselves.

Getting KLV and Dieter involved. Greeks pushing it. Spreading the word here.

Excellent work. Thank you!
Back to the top

Recruiting Notebook 11/9 - Owls after Oklahoma safety

One suggestion would be to have Ken mention it on the coaches show. Have him ask Pelini if the team plans on wearing the red uniforms on Friday night against FIU. Also see if The Owl's Nest can send out a tweet about it and then just start retweeting it. That will catch on pretty quickly. There are A LOT of FAU students on Twitter. If you use the right hashtag then it could be retweeted by a lot of people.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: