Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Official Visitors List 1/18: Owls Hosting Talented Group of Linemen

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Five offensive linemen highlight second major recruiting weekend of the year

The future of Florida Atlantic’s offensive line could very well be in Boca Raton this weekend.

Five offensive linemen – including St. Thomas Aquinas teammates OL Austin Bland and OL Kyle Schafenacker – are expected to be on campus for official visits.

“I talked to coach Meadows last night, and he’s really excited about it. It’s basically all his top lineman that he wants,” Bland said.

FAU offensive line coach Luke Meadows is set to have his top five prospects in the 2013 recruiting cycle on campus, with the goal of securing the line for years to come.

Bland – a current FAU commit – will be taking his visit with the vision of recruiting fellow linemen to play alongside him.

His top two targets will be Schafenacker and Pensacola Catholic OL Jace Banfell. Schafenacker is currently committed to Connecticut, but Bland thinks the Owls have a good chance of making an impression this weekend as the two are excited to visit together.

Banfell on the other hand has yet to commit to a program, but named FAU his leader earlier this month. Bland has been in constant contact with the lineman, and expects him to make a decision this weekend.

“I’m definitely going to be recruiting Jace (Banfell). I think he’s going to commit,” Bland said.

Joining the already talented group of linemen will be Niceville OL Nick Haynes and Coral Reef OL Jakobi Smith. Haynes has drawn interest from Kentucky and may visit the school later this month while Smith (pictured above) is virtually unknown to the recruiting services.

Both players would prove to be nice additions to the recruiting class and add much needed size.

This weekend will also mark a first for Bland, who is eager to see more of the campus when he arrives on Thursday night.

“I just want to take it all in, I can’t wait. I’m just ready to graduate from high school and move on to FAU,” Bland said. “I haven’t ever actually got a tour of the school yet, so this is like my first visit to FAU. I have only toured the practice fields and the stadium, but never the actual school.”

FAU currently has 21 prospects committed to the 2013 recruiting class and is expected to add a handful more before National Signing Day on February 6th.

Official Visitors List:

OL – Jace Banfell Pensacola Catholic – A Florida Class 3A All-State First Team selection, Banfell recently named the Owls his leader. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he committed this weekend.

OL – Austin Bland St. Thomas Aquinas – Call him recruit turned recruiter. Bland is doing what he can to bring talented prospects with him to FAU.

QB – Greg Hankerson Boyd Anderson – A FAU commit, Hankerson will be on campus for an official visit after committing earlier in the week. Hankerson could very well be the Owls future at quarterback.

OL – Nick Haynes Niceville – Haynes holds offers from UCF, Western Kentucky and Southern Miss, with Kentucky has shown interest. He stands at 6’4” 285 pounds and could play guard or tackle.

DB – Tyler Henderson Crestview – Safety is a need in this recruiting class, and Henderson is currently pledged to the Owls. Despite an offer from Duke and heavy interest from Navy, he is solid to FAU.

TE – Trey Hendrickson Apopka – Hendrickson could be classified as a “sleeper” prospect. He has yet to be offered by the Owls, but one could be on the way. Western Kentucky and New Mexico have offered.

OL – Jakobi Smith Coral Reef – Smith participated in the Miami Dolphins Dade vs. Broward All-Star game earlier this month, but outside of that he is virtually unknown. He’s listed at 6’3” 275 pounds.

OL – Kyle Schafenacker St. Thomas Aquinas – Currently committed to UConn, Schafenacker will be taking his first official visit. He is expected to make a trip up north later this month, so a favorable impression will be needed if the Owls want to make him flip his commitment.

LB – Lincoln Stewart Deland – Stewart is committed to FAU and will be making his first visit to campus since junior day last spring. He finished with 153 tackles his senior season.

ATH – Jarevon Williams Judson (Tx.) – Williams can play running back or defensive back, but the Owls will most likely want him on the offensive side of the ball. With target Gainesville RB Raphael Webb picking up a recent offer from USF, Williams has become an even more important visitor. Highlights.

LB – Ramar Dennis Olympia – Dennis was expected to visit this weekend, but the trip has been canceled. This could be a situation where the Owls are waiting to see how other targets pan out. Dennis holds offers from Cincinnati, Illinois and Syracuse among others.

ATH – Shug Oyegunle Gaither – Another prospect that was expected to visit this weekend, Oyeguble pulled the trigger and committed to Ball State earlier in the week.

Note: The above listing was based on the information provided when it was composed. Changes may result according to prospect's schedules.
Back to the top

Re: FAU Official Visitors List 1/18: Owls Hosting Talented Group of Linemen

Just look past the next four years from a formality standpoint and go ahead and offer Bland an assistant coach position.

;)

But seriously, the guy is a ROLE MODEL prospect!

Talent
Grades
Skills
Attitude
Desire

Etc, etc…
Back to the top

Rick said

Hopefully he has NFL talent as well so we can have even more upstanding gentlemen in the league representing FAU.
Back to the top

Andrew posted this in the discussion thread, but thought it was good as a cross post here as well:

Where some of the FAU targets will be visiting this weekend:

ATH – Tristan Cooper Plant – Cooper will head to Middle Tennessee State.

OL – Chris Flaig Vero Beach – The verbal pledge to FIU will visit the Golden Panthers this weekend.

DT – Ke’tryus Marks Suncoast – Marks isn’t expected to visit anywhere over the weekend, but he has picked up an offer from Arkansas.

QB – Todd Porter O’Fallon – Porter will be head to Western Kentucky this weekend. His high school coach stated that Hilltoppers' head coach Bobby Petrino was at the school this week.

RB – Raphael Webb Gainesville – Webb was offered by USF on Tuesday and will visit Boston College on Friday.

DE – Marquis Haynes University Christian - The North Carolina commit will spend the weekend in Chapel Hill for his official visit.

WR – Bobby Mitchell St. Augustine – Mitchell will visit two schools this weekend – Western Kentucky on the 18th and then Middle Tennessee on the 20th. He is suppose to visit FAU next week.
Back to the top

You guys have all wanted to get in the mix with the bigger programs and recruit against them, the list of visitors this weekend is exactly that.

I can't believe how far we've come in recruiting in the last year or two. If I had the patience I'd look up our recruiting conversations from 2008/2009 to see how many committs we had this time those years…6 is my guess. This was always a brutal time to be an Owl fan, man it's gotten exciting.
Back to the top

Per Joey Knight's Twitter….

Robinson TE/DE Justin Madison is visiting FAU this weekend.

According to Madison's 247 page, he is suppose to be visiting Wake Forest.

Will look to confirm, in the mean time…. highlights.
Back to the top

Rick said

Just look past the next four years from a formality standpoint and go ahead and offer Bland an assistant coach position.

;)

Talent
Grades
Skills
Attitude
Desire

Etc, etc…

+176 & a 1/2  ;D
Back to the top

Andrew said

Per Joey Knight's Twitter….

Robinson TE/DE Justin Madison is visiting FAU this weekend.

According to Madison's 247 page, he is suppose to be visiting Wake Forest.

Will look to confirm, in the mean time…. highlights.

Madison told me he is flying in Saturday morning.
Back to the top

I know rivals sucks and I'm not looking into it because I follow Andrews recruiting coverage over everyones but it's saying Schafenacker is visiting USF this weekend. That's cant be right it's pathetic how that website doesnt update itself every 3 months…

I kick cancers ass and that's all there is to it..
Back to the top

FAU Official Visitors List 1/18: Owls Hosting Talented Group of Linemen

Amdrew is the the best info for Owls recruiting info.

I am REALLY liking 247sport for thier info on recruits. They may not have everyone ranked with stars yet, but they seem very on top of things as well.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: