Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

Add topic

Re: FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

GEO Group clearly does not care aboot publicity or getting more "clients". They did this to help us out, because sponsoring a stadium cannot possibly help them.

With that said, thank you GEO Group :)

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

The press is already raising an eyebrow over this and, whether warranted or not, it will come up again. Any time we're on a televised game, especially at home, these color commentator guys have to come up with something interesting to talk about during timeouts and whatnot so they're going to bring up, "Hey, did you know FAU plays in a stadium sponsored by a prison company?" They're not just going to let it lie, especially if we're getting blown out and there's nothing interesting to talk about on the field.

Don't get me wrong, FAU needed this and I'm glad we finally got it. I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it, though of course I wish it was with a company that didn't have this sort of negative past.

It's like needing a car and then finally getting a clunker with peeling paint and a noisy engine - everybody in your neighborhood is going to have an opinion on it. But hey, it gets you to work.

Back to the top

Let's give them something else to talk about come August 31st.
Back to the top

I am not looking at a gift horse in the mouth. Lets take a look at what has happen since the stadium opened. Craig Angelos failed to properly engaged the community and was asking for way to much for naming rights. AD Pat Chun is on the job eight months, gets naming rights plus a gift from GEO Group and a gift from ADT by being more opened with the community. Angelos failed to take advantage of social media to reach out to potential fans, while AD Chun has the teams and the department on facebook and twitter, plus a blog. the reason we got this gift is because we have a AD who is willing to be approachable to the business community and knows not to ask to much at once.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

The press is already raising an eyebrow over this and, whether warranted or not, it will come up again. Any time we're on a televised game, especially at home, these color commentator guys have to come up with something interesting to talk about during timeouts and whatnot so they're going to bring up, "Hey, did you know FAU plays in a stadium sponsored by a prison company?"

And so what?  So some hack announcer makes a joke…OK.  We have $6 million in our coffers and some people get to make snide remarks.  I'll take that trade.

The whole thing about PR is being way overblown by some.  There is very little this company can be accused of that will have any negative impact on FAU.  We aren't talking about Enron destroying people's life savings….we are talking about PRISONERS claiming poor treatment.  FAU received a generous gift from the company of a successful alum.  If people want to make jokes, let them.  FAU doesn't need to apologize to anyone for this. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

SigEp77 said

HootinHollerin said

We're FAU, not the Dallas Cowboys. Nobody actually cares or will remember this in 12 hours.
Let's do what we do best, go to the beach and drink beer. Relax, we're fine gentlemen.

Until we get a nationally televised bowl game at our stadium and it's broadcast over and over for four hours every December.

In which case, 99.9% of the people watching will not even care enough to attempt to find out what GEO Group is.  How many times are you watching a game and you hear the stadium name and think: "Hmm…I wonder what company X does?"  And even if someone did look up that GEO Group operates prisons, will people then turn off the TV because of it?  I really don't understand the big deal here.  A successful, perfectly legit, local company gave FAU a $6 million gift.  That's pretty much the end of the story to me.

I'm sure plenty of people around the country know who GEO is.  Also, any company that lobbies for laws to imprison more people in the nation that imprisons more of its citizens per capita is absolutely NOT "perfectly legit" as you stated above.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

We aren't talking about Enron destroying people's life savings….we are talking about PRISONERS claiming poor treatment.

This game of responsibility cuts both ways.  Sure Enron was crooked, no doubt.  Now, that life savings that got lost, do the employees and shareholders not bear any accountability or responsibility for not being diversified outside of their own company?  Yes, they do.  Just as "criminals" make their choices.
Back to the top

SigEp77 said

fauowls44 said

SigEp77 said

HootinHollerin said

We're FAU, not the Dallas Cowboys. Nobody actually cares or will remember this in 12 hours.
Let's do what we do best, go to the beach and drink beer. Relax, we're fine gentlemen.

Until we get a nationally televised bowl game at our stadium and it's broadcast over and over for four hours every December.

In which case, 99.9% of the people watching will not even care enough to attempt to find out what GEO Group is.  How many times are you watching a game and you hear the stadium name and think: "Hmm…I wonder what company X does?"  And even if someone did look up that GEO Group operates prisons, will people then turn off the TV because of it?  I really don't understand the big deal here.  A successful, perfectly legit, local company gave FAU a $6 million gift.  That's pretty much the end of the story to me.

I'm sure plenty of people around the country know who GEO is.  Also, any company that lobbies for laws to imprison more people in the nation that imprisons more of its citizens per capita is absolutely NOT "perfectly legit" as you stated above.

By legit, I mean legal.  Nothing the company does or has done is illegal.  Do I agree with all of it?  No, but I also don't have any plans on doing anything that can get me sent to prison, so I'm not all that worried about it. Also, I disagree with things a lot of companies do.  I don't like that Apple treats their Chinese workers badly…but I still use my iPhone and don't feel guilty about it…and I look forward to watching a lot of wins in Geo Group Stadium and not thinking twice about who owns the naming rights. 
Back to the top

SigEp77 said

fauowls44 said

We aren't talking about Enron destroying people's life savings….we are talking about PRISONERS claiming poor treatment.

This game of responsibility cuts both ways.  Sure Enron was crooked, no doubt.  Now, that life savings that got lost, do the employees and shareholders not bear any accountability or responsibility for not being diversified outside of their own company?  Yes, they do.  Just as "criminals" make their choices.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare people screwed over by criminals to the criminals themselves.  The people who lost life savings to Enron choose to trust their employer wasn't running a giant scam…not an unreasonable expectation.  Not exactly the same kind of choice a thief/rapist/murderer/drug dealer/gang member is making. 
Back to the top

This company is accused of many illegal activities. Read some of the stories I linked.
Back to the top
Control functions: