Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

Add topic

Re: FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

BMarkey said

This company is accused of many illegal activities. Read some of the stories I linked.

I'm sorry…this is getting off track.  I have mistakenly given off the impression that I care about this company or what it does or that I'm defending it.  As I have said, I have no plans on going to prison, so I don't really care much about what companies who operate them do.  Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I just don't.  I'm sure bad things have happened in their prisons, just as bad things happen in non-privatized prisons, because, well, it's prison.

My objection is to the implication that FAU is in the wrong here somehow.  The fact is that FAU didn't have a choice.  We are not in a position to turn down $6 million from a local company.  Do I wish they could have made a deal with Office Depot?  Sure…but they didn't.  This is the deal that was available and I'm good with it.  I just don't think it's a big deal.  If you do, that's fine. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

BMarkey said

This company is accused of many illegal activities. Read some of the stories I linked.

I'm sorry…this is getting off track.  I have mistakenly given off the impression that I care about this company or what it does or that I'm defending it.  As I have said, I have no plans on going to prison, so I don't really care much about what companies who operate them do.  Maybe that makes me a bad person, but I just don't.  I'm sure bad things have happened in their prisons, just as bad things happen in non-privatized prisons, because, well, it's prison.

My objection is to the implication that FAU is in the wrong here somehow.  The fact is that FAU didn't have a choice.  We are not in a position to turn down $6 million from a local company.  Do I wish they could have made a deal with Office Depot?  Sure…but they didn't.  This is the deal that was available and I'm good with it.  I just don't think it's a big deal.  If you do, that's fine.

+1  Prison is a bad place, whether it is a privatized or government run.  DON'T GO THERE!  Stay out of trouble and you don't put yourself in a position to have bad things happen to you.
Back to the top

Also, I believe we are the same fan base (not me) that yelled rapist at a certain rival schools basketball coach...soooo we are not really angels.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

BMarkey said

Great post 44!

Being in prison sucks, private or public managed. But that is the point, don't do wrong and don't have a reason to be PUT in prison by our justice system. ALWAYS remember the famous line - "don't do the crime if you can't do the time"! It is OH SO TRUE!
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

BMarkey said

Completely agree!!!! Simple solution… DON'T GO TO PRISON! Then you'll have nothing to worry about. I'm also agree Owls44. Am I supposed to care about what illegal activities go on in their prison's? Because I don't. As long as we get the money we were promised from them, I really don't care what they do

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

SigEp77 said

fauowls44 said

We aren't talking about Enron destroying people's life savings….we are talking about PRISONERS claiming poor treatment.

This game of responsibility cuts both ways.  Sure Enron was crooked, no doubt.  Now, that life savings that got lost, do the employees and shareholders not bear any accountability or responsibility for not being diversified outside of their own company?  Yes, they do.  Just as "criminals" make their choices.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare people screwed over by criminals to the criminals themselves.  The people who lost life savings to Enron choose to trust their employer wasn't running a giant scam…not an unreasonable expectation.  Not exactly the same kind of choice a thief/rapist/murderer/drug dealer/gang member is making.

Haha, a bit of a stretch?

That girl got raped!  Her fault too, she was walking in a dark area.  Pretty much the reasoning there.

I worked for a consulting firm that handled class action lawsuits for consumer and securities fraud.  Let me ask you…who would you want to sponser the stadium?

Bank of America???

AIG???

Any Pharmacuetical Company???

Fannie Mae?

I promise you I can show you where all of these companies have done wrong to consumers.  Company's like GlaxoSmithKline grossly over charging desperate families for cancer drugs or Bank Of America's subrime lending practices (not to name all the other banks).

Bottom line, its very hard to find companies that dont have negative press. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

NJOWL said

GEO Group clearly does not care aboot publicity or getting more "clients". They did this to help us out, because sponsoring a stadium cannot possibly help them.

With that said, thank you GEO Group :)

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

walty12 said

fauowls44 said

SigEp77 said

fauowls44 said

We aren't talking about Enron destroying people's life savings….we are talking about PRISONERS claiming poor treatment.

This game of responsibility cuts both ways.  Sure Enron was crooked, no doubt.  Now, that life savings that got lost, do the employees and shareholders not bear any accountability or responsibility for not being diversified outside of their own company?  Yes, they do.  Just as "criminals" make their choices.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare people screwed over by criminals to the criminals themselves.  The people who lost life savings to Enron choose to trust their employer wasn't running a giant scam…not an unreasonable expectation.  Not exactly the same kind of choice a thief/rapist/murderer/drug dealer/gang member is making.

Haha, a bit of a stretch?

That girl got raped!  Her fault too, she was walking in a dark area.  Pretty much the reasoning there.

I worked for a consulting firm that handled class action lawsuits for consumer and securities fraud.  Let me ask you…who would you want to sponser the stadium?

Bank of America???

AIG???

Any Pharmacuetical Company???

Fannie Mae?

I promise you I can show you where all of these companies have done wrong to consumers.  Company's like GlaxoSmithKline grossly over charging desperate families for cancer drugs or Bank Of America's subrime lending practices (not to name all the other banks).

Bottom line, its very hard to find companies that dont have negative press.

You've gone plaid bro.  Not even in the same atmosphere is your statement.
Back to the top

I worked for the firm that sued Citibank (WorldCom) for 2 years.  I will educate you on this next time we hangout.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

We can finally sell out the stadium with a

CONS vs. THE GUARDS
      ALL STAR GAME

I can't wait.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: