Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Star ranking

Add topic

Let me preface this that to a degree, stars do matter.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm curious as to how many of the star whores on here actually understand how the system works and how kids get rated.  I'm sure Andrew and Walty have an understanding, but my guess is the vast majority here do not.

Every single year there is an "under the radar" talent somewhere in FBS that "explodes" and the talking heads go nuts.  Let me tell you something, that kid was not under the radar.  He may not have had the money from mom and/or dad or a family member to go to summer camps to get graded by the services or the schools.  His coach may not push hard enough or coaches from FBS schools just might not be listening to the HS coach.

Stars are also driven by which programs have offered the prospect.  A 3* offered by Bama or another top 10 - 15 program will magically become a 4* overnight.  

Sure there are plenty of can't miss kids that will be given a 4 or 5 star rating on just about every site out there, but the 2-3 star and unranked kids, you need to look deeper and actually evaluate them.  Is Pelini and staff doing this?  I don't know, I'm not in the meetings.

What do I know?  That there are kids that are good enough passed over every year that didn't get a look because they couldn't go to a camp or play on a 7 on 7 squad because of money.

Give Pelini three FULL years of recruiting and evaluate the product on the field then.  Here's another thing to help, DONATE TO THE DAMN PROGRAM!  Help subsidize the cost of camps at FAU so more kids come and more kids get seen by Pelini and staff.

I've never hidden I grew up a Miami fan and I'll share something that Golden has done that has made him very successful recruiting under the radar FLORIDA guys.  He lowered the price of camps and INCREASED the number of camps, he got local HS coaches involved in the camps and helps the community.  Low price camp, embrace your base and the kids WILL come!

So, I'm stepping off my soapbox now.  Stop worrying about stars, start looking at where the kids are coming from geography wise, search out their HS film and review for yourself and finally donate to the program what you can afford, even if it's $10 they really need it.

Back to the top

You get my vote for Post Of The Day. Good job!
Back to the top

I concur for whatever it's worth
Back to the top

Yup what he said.
Back to the top

Those camps are incredibly important.  It gives our coaches a chance to evaluate and build a relationship with the kid.  On the flip side it gets the kid on campus and familiar with our program.

The good news, from what I remember reading our summer camp was much bigger than its ever been.  Need to keep working on that.  Maybe see if we can start getting more and more kids to come from north Florida and the southeast.  At this time we simply do not have the budget to recruit over a large geographical area by sending coaches, hopefully as the program grows that will change.

In my opinion (which is worth not much since I've never recruited or coached DI football), I'd like to see Pelini give the team a said identity.  Let kids know what we stand for and how they will fit in and succeed in our program...a mission statement of sorts.  

I understand the frustration with our W/L over the last 4 years...but on a bright note, it seems we are trending upward.  I would guess we will have 5 wins this year.  So 1, 3 and 5...along with the camps, winning will make our program more legit which will bring higher touted athletes to our program.

We go 9-3 for a few seasons in a row, guys like Keith Bryant aren't coming on recruiting trips and mocking our program.  Maybe even more important as this juncture in our program would be to continue to invest in our infrastructure...weight room, academic facility, etc.  Those are the things that stay with the program...lets remember FIU in 2010 and 2011, I'll happily take the achievement of our stadium over the few winning seasons they have because obviously it was not sustainable and we are now in a MUCH better position.

Lastly, we are going to and have had growing pains.  But you have to say you can take a step back and be proud of what has been built to this point and in the manner in which we have done so...with integrity.  The wins will come, there will be bowl games.  Lets just try to keep perspective and appreciate what we do have which is a growing and healthy program at our school.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Every year, every FBS teams scrambles to recruit the top ranked kids. Some even break NCAA rules and risk their careers to recruit these players. And typically, the teams who consistantly recruit the top players, finish the year with winning records, conference titles, and championships.

You're suggesting that we spend more time, money and resources in doing the opposite of what every other team currently does because you think that we are going to uncover some secret un-tapped talent.

Now, I'm not saying that we won't find a gem or two if we recruit your way. But I'm curious, do you think we could really develop a national championship winning team by recruiting your way? I'm serious, do you honestly believe that if we recruit nothing, but  non-ranked players for the next ten 10 years, that we will have a national title contending team by the year 2023? Keep in mind this is a yes or no question.

Back to the top

You're delusional if you think we'll ever have a national championship winning team. But I like the enthusiasm.

Back to the top

Captain Owlmerica said

Every year, every FBS teams scrambles to recruit the top ranked kids. Some even break NCAA rules and risk their careers to recruit these players. And typically, the teams who consistantly recruit the top players, finish the year with winning records, conference titles, and championships.

You're suggesting that we spend more time, money and resources in doing the opposite of what every other team currently does because you think that we are going to uncover some secret un-tapped talent.

Now, I'm not saying that we won't find a gem or two if we recruit your way. But I'm curious, do you think we could really develop a national championship winning team by recruiting your way? I'm serious, do you honestly believe that if we recruit nothing, but  non-ranked players for the next ten 10 years, that we will have a national title contending team by the year 2023? Keep in mind this is a yes or no question.

Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 8:29 AM #318358

Reading comprehension is really not your thing huh?  Where did I say we should not recruit the top ranked kids?  BTW, how many top ranked kids bust?

You're such a star wh*re that you can't see the entire picture.  There are plenty of star players that are not 4 or 5* kids playing elsewhere, we're not keeping them home or finding them.  My point is to find those kids, win and then as Walty noted above we have more and more 9-3 win seasons then we start bringing in those kids.  It's not overnight.  If you want overnight, go route for Alabama, Oregon or another Top 10 school so you don't have to wait.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Reading comprehension is really not your thing huh?  
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2013, 9:08 AM #318362

Ha! I have a reading comprehension problem?! I just asked you a yes or no question, and even reminded you that there is only one of two words you can use to answer the question. Yet you replied with eight sentences and failed to use either of those two words.

Look, none of us run the team or recruit for the Owls. So both our strategies are meaningless. All we can say for sure is that we lost 38 out of our last 52 games, which is a problem. If you want to blame the economy, the coaches, me, the coaching transition, or whatever for this problem. Go ahead. But I am blaming the level of talent we recruit because I see a correlation between the star ranking system and wins/loses.

As for CBboarder- the goal of every FBS team is to win a national championship. Clearly you don't share that mentality. Which is why you'll be happy if we win one more game than last year. While every other team contends for a conference title and a bowl game.

Back to the top

Popcorn time again!
Back to the top
Control functions: