Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014 K Landon Scheer to visit

Add topic

Back to the top

repost from the 2014 recruiting thread with some more info:

"Per our good man Andrew Ivins:

@andrewrivins: FAU offered placekicker Landon Scheer last night. He will visit on Jan 17th. Football Recruiting - Landon Scheer - Player Profiles - ESPN

On the national level, Scheer is currently the highest-rated kicker in the state for the 2014 class by Kohl's Kicking. He's ranked No. 11 in the country. Some college coaches have told him he's too small to kick in college at 5-foot-8, 180 pounds, but that comment baffles many kicking instructors, like local kicking expert Nick Flemming, a former Florida kicker who runs All-American Kicking."
Back to the top

What possible difference could it make if a kicker was short? He doesnt need to see over the line to kick the ball.  :Thinking:

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

What possible difference could it make if a kicker was short? He doesnt need to see over the line to kick the ball.  :Thinking:
Posted On: Jan 3rd 2014, 1:06 PM #325576

NFL Kickers:

Garrett Hartley of the Saints is 5'-8", Matt Bryant with the Falcons is 5'-9", Randy Bullock with the Texans is 5'-9", David Aikers with Detroit is 5'-10", Mike Nugent with Cincinnati is 5'-10", and Jay Feely with AZ is 5'-10".

There are at least two 5'-11".

I'll stop now….

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Vid of Scheer…

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Posted On: Jan 3rd 2014, 1:06 PM #325576

I actually was just talking with a kicking coach about this yesterday. The biggest concern college head coaches have with the actually size of a kicker, is they simply think if someone is small they can't produce a lot of power with the leg. Doesn't make much sense but thats the nature of the business. Keep in mind many head coaches probably see the kicker once in person before they sign, so they want someone that passes the eye test.
Back to the top

Probably still the most popular Dolphins kicker, Garo Yepremian, is 5'8 or was that. He's 69 y/o.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Purely speculation, but my guess is that that are equating height with a longer leg that could generate greater centrifugal force (speed) in the soccer kicking motion.  If that is what they are thinking, it kind of looks like this is a myth that has been busted.  There are too many good kickers without that height characteristic.
Back to the top

Very popular, except for this…

Back to the top

I played golf with him in a charity celebrity outing and, boy, he was working hard all day at making sure it was a great day for the guys in his foursome.  Just a real quality guy.  

At one point he hit a bad approach and said "Maybe I should just throw it up on the green.  Oh— that might not be such a great idea."
Back to the top
Control functions: