Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014 Scholarship Count and Signing Day Target

Add topic

Did a little digging this morning, and here is what we are looking at. The Owls have 18 scholarship spots to work with and have 18 verbals as if right now.

However, they have two additional in the 2014 head count department with grayshirts DB Bobby Mitchell and WR Kamrin Solomon also counting against the 18. So, the scholarship offering extension lies at 20 in all reality.

With "expected" academic attrition (2) after the summer that would make matters even as it stands right now (back to 18).

The class can officially hold 25, but the NCAA allows up to a maximum of 28 members.

Bottom line, as we move forward, if more prospects are taken, some current players will seemingly need to go to make room.
Back to the top

I'm a little confused.

If the class can be 25 scholarships and we're "full" at 18, does mean we are using 7 scholarships to upgrade current walk-ons to full-time scholarship status? If so, who?

Also, what do you mean by the class can officially hold 25 but the NCAA allows up to 28… does that mean you can grayshirt 3 people and that doesn't count against your total? Or 3 that are "preferred walk-ons?"
Back to the top

:Thinking: Really confused
Back to the top

Owlshak said

:Thinking: Really confused
Posted On: Jan 21st 2014, 12:51 PM #326647

Don't be, it always works out the way it should.

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I'm a little confused.

If the class can be 25 scholarships and we're "full" at 18, does mean we are using 7 scholarships to upgrade current walk-ons to full-time scholarship status? If so, who?

Also, what do you mean by the class can officially hold 25 but the NCAA allows up to 28… does that mean you can grayshirt 3 people and that doesn't count against your total? Or 3 that are "preferred walk-ons?"
Posted On: Jan 21st 2014, 12:39 PM #326644

I fluffed it up a bit more, saw two areas which could have been causing the confusion.

Key takeaways:

We have 18 scholarships open.

You are allowed to "over sign" to a certain degree.
Back to the top

I assume what you mean is 18 will bring us to the total maximum scholarships which I believe is 85.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I assume what you mean is 18 will bring us to the total maximum scholarships which I believe is 85.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2014, 2:03 PM #326652

Correct.
Back to the top

Every year I see a couple of 250lb OLs recruited by FAU. Are they recruiting these guys expecting them to gain 50lbs as freshman and sophomores? Back in the day FAU had one of the smaller O lines in D1. I was expecting that to change but I see at least one 250 pounder on this year's verbal commits.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FIU got a commit from the big (320 or so!) OL from Camden County, Ga. 2 star Rivals, 3 star 24/7. But we did get the commit from the big boy from Taravella! Basically even but would have been nice to get both. bet the Coaches are still talking with the Ga kid though!
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Every year I see a couple of 250lb OLs recruited by FAU. Are they recruiting these guys expecting them to gain 50lbs as freshman and sophomores? Back in the day FAU had one of the smaller O lines in D1. I was expecting that to change but I see at least one 250 pounder on this year's verbal commits.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2014, 3:00 PM #326657

We run a spread attack, no longer a prostyle offense…we dont necessarily need lineman that are 300+ pounds.  

Most of the 250 lb kids will be 275-300 by Junior year which is plenty big enough for CUSA, especially if they are athletic.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: