Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014 FAU Football Schedule

Add topic

I like the fact that all our OOC games are in the beginning now, and instead spread out. the way it should be.
Back to the top

Rick said

2014 FAU Football Schedule
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 2:47 PM #327430

UTSA isn't a conference game?

Back to the top

It is. And they might be pretty good too.  We drew 2 tough West teams.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

The start of the schedule is enough to kill attendance for the rest of the year.

It is not that difficult to Schedule the Alabamas (unless you're Troy) and Nebraskas. How about going after the UCFs, USFs, Louisvilles, Rutgers, MAC teams, some of the AAC programs - even Sun Belt teams - for home and homes?

Why not get Troy back into the mix. It would love to come back to Florida, where it had traditionally gotten half of its team?

FAU is going into a season full of promise. That hype could die quickly with two blow-out losses to Nebraska and Alabama, then a disappointing loss to Tulsa (which has been good until last year). Then, suppose Wyoming surprises the Owls in Cowboy country and suddenly FAU is at 04, with a decent to good UTSA (a 1-AA move-up which no one has ever heard of, really) coming to Boca. If you win, that was what you were supposed to do. If you lose, you're at 05 and the season has crashed.

Not a pretty situation.
Back to the top

I don't think that home schedule will excite the casual fan, unfortunately.  Now we need to beat Nebraska to generate some interest.
Back to the top

bmarkey said

The start of the schedule is enough to kill attendance for the rest of the year.

It is not that difficult to Schedule the Alabamas (unless you're Troy) and Nebraskas. How about going after the UCFs, USFs, Louisvilles, Rutgers, MAC teams, some of the AAC programs - even Sun Belt teams - for home and homes?

Why not get Troy back into the mix. It would love to come back to Florida, where it had traditionally gotten half of its team?

FAU is going into a season full of promise. That hype could die quickly with two blow-out losses to Nebraska and Alabama, then a disappointing loss to Tulsa (which has been good until last year). Then, suppose Wyoming surprises the Owls in Cowboy country and suddenly FAU is at 04, with a decent to good UTSA (a 1-AA move-up which no one has ever heard of, really) coming to Boca. If you win, that was what you were supposed to do. If you lose, you're at 05 and the season has crashed.

Not a pretty situation.
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 4:20 PM #327444

Cancel the season…storm clouds are brewing…
Back to the top

Thats a possibility…… :smile:Beating Nebraska that is…. 
Back to the top

We have 3 home games by 10/18…there have been seasons such as 2011 we had our first home game on 10/15.

We also have the FIU game early and away which means I will be at 4 games by mid-October without really traveling…I'm good with that.

The schedule is just one more home game in September from perfect.

As far as Nebraska goes, I hate Bo Pelini and hope our players are fired up and ready to put a game together.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Just want to clarify somethings….I know some of you are not happy about the conference oponents or weeks of the game, but we, FAU, do not pick the dates for the games or the conference opponents. That decision comes from C-USA and we can lobby so much for the games, but we have no control over it.  Trust me I don't like the Thanksgaving Week Game either for the, but it is the hand we are dealt.

In regards to the non-confrence schedule, all but Nebraska was agreed upon by the old regime and there was not much could do about changing it up without paying our way out. Pat is trying to get competive non-confrence games starting in 2015.  His thing when he started was to get away from the "pay day games" and get worthy competitive non conference teams to come to Boca.

Cant wait to see you all this fall at the stadium, if not sooner at the Spring Game!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

John_Z said

Just want to clarify somethings….I know some of you are not happy about the conference oponents or weeks of the game, but we, FAU, do not pick the dates for the games or the conference opponents. That decision comes from C-USA and we can lobby so much for the games, but we have no control over it.  Trust me I don't like the Thanksgaving Week Game either for the, but it is the hand we are dealt.

In regards to the non-confrence schedule, all but Nebraska was agreed upon by the old regime and there was not much could do about changing it up without paying our way out. Pat is trying to get competive non-confrence games starting in 2015.  His thing when he started was to get away from the "pay day games" and get worthy competitive non conference teams to come to Boca.

Cant wait to see you all this fall at the stadium, if not sooner at the Spring Game!

GO OWLS!
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 5:18 PM #327449
One pay game is fine (zero is better, but I can live with one)…but going forward, there's no reason to start the year with teams like Nebraska and Alabama back-to-back.  As for the conference schedule, I don't think anyone can fault FAU for that.  We just need to get to the point where the stadium is full and the opponent doesn't matter. 
Back to the top
Control functions: