Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014 FAU Football Schedule

Add topic

John_Z said

but we, FAU, do not pick the dates for the games or the conference opponents. That decision comes from C-USA and we can lobby so much for the games, but we have no control over it.  
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 5:18 PM #327449
Did FAU lobby to keep the Shula Bowl as our last game of the season?

Rivalry games are always, always, always the last game of the season. You'd think CUSA could understand that.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

One pay game is fine (zero is better, but I can live with one)…but going forward, there's no reason to start the year with teams like Nebraska and Alabama back-to-back.
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 5:42 PM #327450

Agreed.

Ideally we'd get one out of the way, give the team a couple games to develop and then throw us in the fray again on the 5th or 6th game.

Back to the top

Interesting schedule. I always like to bracket FAU's games to see who their opponents played the week before and who they will be getting ready for the week after.

The Owls draw Nebraska for the opener for both teams, and Nebraska has another of its famous cupcakes for the following week, McNeese State. Alabama hosts West Virginia the week before hosting the Owls, and hosts Southern Mississippi the week after. Tulsa plays at Oklahoma (always tough for visitors, of course) the week before visiting the Owls, and its opponent the next week is yet to be announced. Wyoming plays at Oregon (yikes!) the week before hosting the Owls and at Michigan State the week after. UTSA has a bye before visiting the Owls and hosts New Mexico the week after. FIU visits UAB (conference) the week before hosting the Owls and plays at UTSA (conference) the week after. Western Kentucky has a bye the week before visiting the Owls and hosts Old Dominion (conference) the week after. Marshall is at FIU (conference) the week before hosting the Owls and is at Southern Mississippi (conference)  the week after. UAB plays at Arkansas the week before visiting the Owls and hosts Louisiana Tech (conference) the week after. North Texas has a bye before hosting the Owls and plays at UTEP (conference) the week after. Middle Tennessee plays at FIU (conference) the week before hosting the Owls and visits UTEP (conference) the week after. Old Dominion plays at Louisiana Tech (conference) before visiting the Owls (last game of regular season for both teams).

Recap: So three of FAU's conference opponents will be coming off bye weeks when they play the Owls (one at home, one away). Tulsa comes off what should be a bruising game at Oklahoma. Wyoming comes off what should be a very tough game at Oregon, and it has to visit Michigan State the week after hosting the Owls. UAB comes off a game at Arkansas to face FAU.

It's not the easiest of schedules, but at least the Owls have some home games earlier than in some seasons.
Back to the top

I'm sure that FAU could have convinced the conference to stay way from a Thanksgiving weekday game, citing horrible attendance, competition and  missing students.

The home schedule is so bad, including two I-AA-move-ups. Say what yo want about FIU, but its home scheduling (and scheduling in general) has been fantastic, considering that program's condition.
Back to the top

I have no doubt that the scheduleing was pretty much locked in. Pat Chun has made the best of the hand he was dealt.

I too give props to FIU. Thier AD has had some real issues but that man/administration knows how to get quality home game opponents.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

That would be three conference teams with byes before the Owls game (WKU, N. Texas and UTSA). Sucks!

We have byes vs. WKU (ok so that is a draw) and MTSU.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

John_Z said

but we, FAU, do not pick the dates for the games or the conference opponents. That decision comes from C-USA and we can lobby so much for the games, but we have no control over it.  

Rivalry games are always, always, always the last game of the season. You'd think CUSA could understand that.
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 5:44 PM #327451

Not sure how much it was brought, seeing that I am not in those confrence meeting. Those meetings are for individulas who have a much higher pay rate than me.  :Laughing:

The comment on rivalary games being the last game is not entirly true.  I went to a MAC school for college and our big rivalry game was the middle of the season, similar to what we have this season.  Maybe C-USA is trying to get people into the rivalry having it the middle of the season and not having to deal with a holiday to get the crowds.  That is my two cents.  

Again we, FAU, can only say so much to C-USA about scheduling, but in the end it is their decision.
Back to the top

John_Z said

owl2Doc said

John_Z said

Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 5:44 PM #327451

Not sure how much it was brought, seeing that I am not in those confrence meeting. Those meetings are for individulas who have a much higher pay rate than me.  :Laughing:

The comment on rivalary games being the last game is not entirly true.  I went to a MAC school for college and our big rivalry game was the middle of the season, similar to what we have this season.  Maybe C-USA is trying to get people into the rivalry having it the middle of the season and not having to deal with a holiday to get the crowds.  That is my two cents.  

Again we, FAU, can only say so much to C-USA about scheduling, but in the end it is their decision.
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 7:40 PM #327461

UM - FSU used to always be the first Saturday of October.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Tulsa is an OOC game now, they left CUSA for the AAC! Nice schedule, only sure losses are the two vs. the BigBoys, the next ten are all winnable. Go Owls!
Posted On: Feb 3rd 2014, 2:58 PM #327434

Im not writing off nebraska.
Back to the top

Is there any official explanation on why we always have to have a 5/7 home/road split? Why not 6/6 one year?
Back to the top
Control functions: