Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Rules of NCAA Recruiting & Engagement

Add topic

Below is a quick guide to the intricacies of the proverbially complex NCAA recruiting process, and what the individual terms and periods each mean, courtesy of RecruitLook.com

A contact is classified as a face-to-face encounter between a college coach and the student athlete (or their legal guardians or relatives) where more than a greeting occurs. Anything beyond a hello is considered a contact. Another form of contact occurs when a college coach has any contact with you or your legal guardians at your high school, or any other location where you are competing or practicing.

Contact Period:

College coaches are allowed to have in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. This period means coaches can watch you compete anywhere, and the coach can write and make telephone calls.

Dead Period:

The college coach cannot make in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. This prevents the coach from making any evaluations of you whatsoever. However, the coach can make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians.

Evaluation:

This is the process where a coach watches you compete in a game or practice, and makes note on your athletic abilities.

Evaluation Period:

It is permissible for the college coach to evaluate your playing abilities at your high school or any other place where you are competing. During this period the coach cannot have off campus in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. The coach can still make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians, and you are allowed to make campus visits during this period.

Quiet Period:

During this time a college coach cannot watch you compete at any location. It is allowed for the college coach to make in-person contact with you or your legal guardians if it occurs on the coach's campus. The coach can still make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians, and you can make visits to college campuses during this time.
Back to the top

Honest question,

I know tweeting to a recruit before NLI day is a Secondary violation. However is Re-Tweeting something they say (without replying) also a violation?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Commentary itself is not allowed, however this is a great question.

I have forwarded it to someone for an "official" answer.
Back to the top

Thanks Rick.

I retweet stuff the recruits say all the time if its in relation to thier excitement to join the program. Just dont want any mixups.

Appreciate you checking on it.  :)

Back to the top

Hey Rick,

Just wondering if you ever heard back on this? If not I'll ask around tonight.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

Hey Rick,

Just wondering if you ever heard back on this? If not I'll ask around tonight.
Posted On: Feb 5th 2014, 2:36 PM #327538

Not completely, no.

Initial response was it is OK, as long as there is no direct communication.

However, just to be sure, more looking into it will be conducted.
Back to the top

Thanks.  :Big-Grin:

Back to the top
Control functions: