Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: UAB vs FAU - 02/08/14 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

DeltAlumnus said

Tim FAU98 said

walty12 said

Rick said

fauowl said

I know people want to blame the coach for that but the bigger problem is the culture of youth basketball that is taking place today.  Parents are mostly to blame IMHO.  

Parents think their kids are going to the NBA. Kids have been told how great they are their whole lives. When kids don't get the playing time they think they deserve, parents now transfer to other high schools.  When the kids play AAU ball and they don't get the playing time they think they deserve, they transfer to other AAU teams  because their only goal is to get the attention of a college and not be a team player.  This is now the culture that these kids have grown up in.  As soon as it doesn't go their way…they move on to something else that they believe will benefit themselves.  It is a culture of selfishness and it is epidemic in the country.  Last year 500 kids left their college teams in division 1.

This will continue because the bottom 300 division 1 schools will continue to have to take chances on some players.  We will continue to find team players, but there will be those who are not team players and those will be lost one way or another.  It is a horrible culture change in college basketball and I certainly do not have an answer to change it in the near future…

To always just blame it on the coach is certainly the easy way out, but I fear the problem is a lot more complicated…with no easy answer.

Go Owls!!
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 8:53 AM #327888

:Yawn:

Excellent post.
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 11:51 AM #327892

I can see what this post is saying and agree.  Its a good point.

However, I feel that our head coach and his staff should have the leadership and mentoring skills to keep our student athletes engaged in our program.  If players that are behind others on the roster and not getting a chance to compete leave, well that is one thing….but that is not the case here.  Our BEST players have left and in bunches.

I've had a bad attitude this season about basketball, but agree its time to quit that attitude and just support the team because I love FAU.  However, I dont blame people for having a bad taste in their mouths, its been a rough ride with MJ thus far.

Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 9:56 PM #327908

I have to be honest with you…the guys we lost weren't as talented as we thought.  This team is more talented.  What we lost was experience.  And I agree it's time to move on.  The great thing about sports is the optimism of a new season.  If Jarvis wins 20 games next year, what will people be saying?
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 10:04 PM #327910

Let's start with a post season game
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 10:08 PM #327911

And that can still happen this year.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Our record is not great but we have lost so many close ones this season! Way to battle in every game guys! Proud you are Owls!
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 10:03 PM #327909

You make a great point, Georgia, because in football we talked about (all season long) how we coulda shoulda woulda won 3 more games and we would have had an incredible season and most likely a bowl game.  This basketball team is no different and yet we never give them the benefit of that doubt.  Clearly there have been games we lost that we should have won and didn't but we have had some great wins that no one acknowledges.  

We beat UCF.  UCF is not great, but to beat them in any sport is a step in the right direction IMO.
We beat Harvard.  Harvard was the #36 RPI in the country at the time.
We just beat UAB. UAB beat North Carolina this year.

Almost every team we play in basketball this year is the favorite.  

For those who have given up…Justin Raffington is a legit big man. I have never said that about a big man at FAU.  Pablo Bertone is worth the price of admission.  The two freshman point guards have huge potential.  

We are young. We are injured. We do not have a deep bench and yet we are competing.  

Not sure what else we can do at this point.
Back to the top

fauowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Our record is not great but we have lost so many close ones this season! Way to battle in every game guys! Proud you are Owls!
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 10:03 PM #327909

You make a great point, Georgia, because in football we talked about (all season long) how we coulda shoulda woulda won 3 more games and we would have had an incredible season and most likely a bowl game.  This basketball team is no different and yet we never give them the benefit of that doubt.  Clearly there have been games we lost that we should have won and didn't but we have had some great wins that no one acknowledges.  

We beat UCF.  UCF is not great, but to beat them in any sport is a step in the right direction IMO.
We beat Harvard.  Harvard was the #36 RPI in the country at the time.
We just beat UAB. UAB beat North Carolina this year.

Almost every team we play in basketball this year is the favorite.  

For those who have given up…Justin Raffington is a legit big man. I have never said that about a big man at FAU.  Pablo Bertone is worth the price of admission.  The two freshman point guards have huge potential.  

We are young. We are injured. We do not have a deep bench and yet we are competing.  

Not sure what else we can do at this point.
Posted On: Feb 9th 2014, 10:23 PM #327913

Great points Mark
Anyone that actually supports the team and goes to the games like you, I, tim and others do can see this. It seems the disconnect is the folks that refuse to watch the games seem to think something different, but it is hard to see the potential and what is really happening if you don't know what is going on during the games!
Back to the top

With today's parity in basketball…all it takes is to get hot at the right time and a conference tournament title puts us in the dance (something that is certainly possible with this squad)
Back to the top

We have some tough games to finish out...lets see how they go, starting with UTEP.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: