Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2015-16 FAU Men's Basketball Discussion Thread

Add topic

teambeer said

26-30 fts?? That's unheard of for FAU!

Is today's game going to be streamed?
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2015, 6:43 AM #352314

No video, just audio…
Back to the top

Rick said

teambeer said

26-30 fts?? That's unheard of for FAU!

Is today's game going to be streamed?
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2015, 6:43 AM #352314

No video, just audio…
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2015, 12:13 PM #352325
can I stream it on my phone somehow? Espn radio app not working for the game 
Back to the top

Brandon Kirby-Wolverlora Simon said

can I stream it on my phone somehow? Espn radio app not working for the game 
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2015, 12:59 PM #352331

If you pay for an account on FAU's site you can…

But I'll save you the time and effort:

Missed 3, missed 3, missed 3, missed 3, missed 3, missed 3, missed 3…

We're 2-of-17 just about midway through the 2nd half.
Back to the top

FINAL:

FAU 65  Lipscomb 79

After a hot start which saw them leading 15-8 in the first 10 minutes of play, the Owls fell prey to flat shooting the rest of the way.

Florida Atlantic (1-4) was just 1-of-13 in the first half from long range and trailed 32-23.

They would see the margin balloon to as many as 19 points midway through the second half as the Bison continued to sink their baskets with continuity and never got back within a single digit deficit.

Adonis Filer registered a 15 point performance in the loss, and Nick Rutherford added 10 points and five rebounds.

Matthew Reed, Solomon Poole, and Jesse Hill each had five rebounds as well.

The Owls will now be off until December 1st when they travel to face East Carolina at 7:00 PM.

UPDATED Schedule: 2015-2016 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Rick said

FINAL:

FAU 65  Lipscomb 79
For those who will not understand why we can lose to a team called Lipscomb, here are some facts (for those who do not like facts, please look away):

I have been saying for years, we are an Atlantic Sun program living in the C-USA (because of football).  Lipscomb is in the A-Sun. They spend on their basketball program slightly higher than that of FAU. Lipscomb has better facilities than FAU. For a program, we reside on a lower level than Lipscomb.  We do not have the money to spend on the program. People will always say it's coaching (because that's the easiest criticism to come up with).

Until we change some of the variables that go into building a basketball program, I don't see much changing.  Can we have a fluke "Florida Gulf Coast" season every now and then. possibly.  Even FGCU won't have many of those seasons. They don't have much of a budget as well.

Owls Up!

Here is Lipscomb's facility:
Lipscomb Arena
Back to the top

Could you elaborate? You mentioned we don't spend as much as other programs, and I'm sure that's reflected in the quality of the coaches we get.

But other than a new arena what specifically do we need to get to recruit and properly train the best players?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Could you elaborate? You mentioned we don't spend as much as other programs, and I'm sure that's reflected in the quality of the coaches we get.

But other than a new arena what specifically do we need to get to recruit and properly train the best players?
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2015, 3:56 PM #352341

We play in a glorified high school gym and have one of if not the lowest salaries in the conference, what else is there to elaborate on?

You get out of a program what you put in.

We have gone all in on the football program, those who say they aren't going to support football anymore just baseball, you need to realize if football fails all the programs are going down with it.  They will continue to play in crappy facilities until they can't recruit anymore, that's the reality we live in.

Here's an idea, if you care about basketball, go to a game and support the program.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I agree with everything Dusky said. He may be generous on the gym. I don't consider it "glorified."

Keep in mind, I do not blame anyone for the situation. There is no easy answer. If fans do not want to support it, I do not suggest anything else.

The facility is the number 1 issue. It is not set up to help a program generate additional revenue, whether it is additional events, tourneys, or even concessions. The facility is the base of the program. A new coach can come in and recruit a few guys, but if we do not have a solid foundation for a program, you are just starting over every time you get a new coach. The program needs to be bigger than the coach so it can continue to grow when that coach is gone.

I think Curry can coach, I think Jarvis could coach, I think Walters could coach, I think Doh could coach. I think Sydney Green was the worst coach we have had yet is the only one to get us to the dance. It's not the coach we need to focus on. We have no foundation.

I will say, I think we are lucky to have Curry. I think he spends a lot of his own money to help this program. The last several guys and the next several guys will not do that.

When we held some fundraisers years ago, laptops were purchased for every player. That's the kind of expense we couldn't afford. That's one example of what more money would do...it would help the team be more successful off the court.  These guys are on the road a lot. They are on buses, on airplanes, in hotels a lot. if they are not successful in the classroom, they sit out, and that doesn't help the program.

More equipment is needed. We also raised funds to get the team winter gear. They travel to cold weather climates all the time.

We raised funds to get shooting machines for practice. Machines that we couldn't afford. We raised money for a golf cart so the coaches could take an entire family of a recruit around campus and show them what we have. Can you imagine making a family walk the campus to see it.

Better equipment for basketball shoes, like orthotics. Feet take a beating on the court. you can't just go buy a pair of shoes at target and play basketball in them at a high level. There are probably a million other things like that to help prevent injuries that we go without.

Better nutrition for the athletes is important. It costs money. Basketball was talking about the importance of it 6 or 7 years ago. No one paid any attention. Then football began to mention it and now you hear about nutrition and it's importance for the football program all the time. Football has a huge tent between the practice fields where players can eat and drink all practice long. Managing that process is expensive.

You usually see assistants change often because of the pay. If you want to attract and keep a staff, you have to pay them.

That's just a few things.

My main point was that some of us get shocked when we lose to no name schools, and we are one of those no name schools as it pertains to basketball. We have similar budgets and similar facilities, yet we expect better results.

Our budget falls at the bottom of C-USA, near the middle of Sunbelt, and near the top of the A-Sun. We are an A-Sun program living in C-USA. There are no easy answers, and no one's fault. Just a fact of where we are right now and why.

Back to the top

For the record, here is my High School Arena. This is why I have my opinions on our "Gym." It is not in a huge metro area. It is a little tiny town in Indiana of 18,000. They found the money for a public HS in an area that is not very affluent.  It holds up to 10,000 fans.  Two NBA players were produced from this town in the middle of no where because of this facility. one of the players was the #1 pick in the NBA draft in 1977 and the MVP of March madness in the 1976 undefeated Indiana University National Championship season.  The other one is the current Head Coach at UCLA. Not a bad resume for a town about half the population of FAU.

If the FAU students and the community really wanted a facility, they could make it happen by showing up. If no one wants it, then there is no reason to build something.

Go Owls!

Chrysler HS
Back to the top

I would like to present an "alternate" point of view.

Have mostly been a supporter of "build it and they will come", but the fact of the matter is that NCAA Men's Basketball attendance is in a state of decline overall - Dukes of the world being the aside.

A BIG part of this, IMHO, is this:

Scoring continues to trend downward.

You have to have scoring to make it worthy of watching, after all that is the main point of the game?

Regardless, even if FAU had the BEST facility on all of C-USA they are battling apathy at the local level, where fans only want to come out to see "quality" teams.

We can play Ave Maria, or Warner in Madison Square Garden and NO ONE will be there.

Back to the top
Control functions: