Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

IDEA: Improvements to FAU Stadium?

Add topic

Good afternoon everyone!

I'll start with a brief introduction. My name is Noah, I am a current FAU student studying Urban Design, and got the opportunity to co-host the 2015 Shula Bowl and work with FAU Athletics Marketing on some ideas to improve gameday experience across all sports and student involvement. I am so glad to be able to connect with the FAU fan community on this forum, and have been glad to connect with them via Twitter as well. (@The97Revolution)

To start off, I am going to be launching a few idea threads to get feedback on some things you guys would like to see to improve FAU sports and the broader university community. I will share a few ideas as well. To start, what are some of the things that you all would like to see added or improved to FAU Stadium and the surrounding complex? FAU Stadium is a great venue, but what can be done to it to help to engage fans and bring it up to the next level?

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

Protect your greatest asset.  The Hyundai Deck and make sure only the people who donated to sit there are in there.  Overcrowding by poachers only encourages people NOT to donate to sit there.  Treat the section like it is asset to football and athletics.  You can't sneak into the club section at Hard Rock Stadium, Marlins Park, American Airlines Arena or BT&T Center.  Which means it can be made exclusive to the people who want to donate to be there.
Back to the top

The Deck said

Protect your greatest asset.  The Hyundai Deck and make sure only the people who donated to sit there are in there.  Overcrowding by poachers only encourages people NOT to donate to sit there.  Treat the section like it is asset to football and athletics.  You can't sneak into the club section at Hard Rock Stadium, Marlins Park, American Airlines Arena or BT&T Center.  Which means it can be made exclusive to the people who want to donate to be there.
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 3:51 PM #368207

Is Hyundai Deck considered one of the premium seating of the stadium? I know that gameday they post a few CDC surrounding it to try and prevent people from getting in. Should their be something like a private gate entrance into the deck like they have for the Acura Club and the Tower? And do you think that their needs to be another premium seating area for the stadium?

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

The97Revolution said

The Deck said

Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 3:51 PM #368207

Is Hyundai Deck considered one of the premium seating of the stadium? I know that gameday they post a few CDC surrounding it to try and prevent people from getting in. Should their be something like a private gate entrance into the deck like they have for the Acura Club and the Tower? And do you think that their needs to be another premium seating area for the stadium?
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 4:03 PM #368210

No offense but it seems odd you have been here since 2015 and don't know that the Hyundai Deck is premium.

"The Deck" is right, FAU has to stop letting people into the area, people are going to stop paying a premium if they don't.  I don't believe additional premium seating is needed, we have the deck, the tower and suites which is sufficient for now.  We need better game day experiences, like someone who knows how to operate the video board with the stats and the replays.  We also need a better sound system, the current one is barely sufficiency. We need a bigger and better band. We need a way to entice the students to stay after halftime.  

Most of all we need to WIN!!!!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

No offense but it seems odd you have been here since 2015 and don't know that the Hyundai Deck is premium.

"The Deck" is right, FAU has to stop letting people into the area, people are going to stop paying a premium if they don't.  I don't believe additional premium seating is needed, we have the deck, the tower and suites which is sufficient for now.  We need better game day experiences, like someone who knows how to operate the video board with the stats and the replays.  We also need a better sound system, the current one is barely sufficiency. We need a bigger and better band. We need a way to entice the students to stay after halftime.  

Most of all we need to WIN!!!!
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 5:17 PM #368220

None taken. I figured the deck itself was part of the premium seating option surrounding it, but during game day it seemed likes a lot more people go to the deck than the people who are actually sit in the section. I think that Kiffin would probably lead to more wins, but only time will tell. I know that they tried implementing a rewards app called "Owls Up" to provide incentives to students to stay until the forth quarter. I think the sound system could use an upgrade as well.

As for video, the main person who runs the videoboard is also the one who runs it for the Burrow and for the Florida Launch. I think they do the best they can with the content, and the upgraded graphics from last season were an improvement. We also need to figure out a way to handle weather delays and rain games better.

Back to the top

Good posts guys, I agree with 'em all so far!
Back to the top

Dusky +1
Back to the top

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it, being new to the nest and all.

I want to offer a suggestion. Underneath the student section is a handicap area where all the Greeks like to congregate on game days. I've been there a few times myself and it's a good place to watch the game. There was some debate on whether students should be there or not, as they then to get rowdy at times. I was wondering if they could turn that area into a premium student deck. I made a concept of it called Atlantic Cove, which makes it a beach deck with a small cafe underneath the bleachers. I have a few concept images which I originally made and presented to the marketing team. Any thoughts on it?

Atlantic Cove Layout

Back to the top

Improve Wifi in the seating section. My data plan goes through the roof on game days. Maybe change the fourth quarter song.
Back to the top

The97Revolution said

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it, being new to the nest and all.

I want to offer a suggestion. Underneath the student section is a handicap area where all the Greeks like to congregate on game days. I've been there a few times myself and it's a good place to watch the game. There was some debate on whether students should be there or not, as they then to get rowdy at times. I was wondering if they could turn that area into a premium student deck. I made a concept of it called Atlantic Cove, which makes it a beach deck with a small cafe underneath the bleachers. I have a few concept images which I originally made and presented to the marketing team. Any thoughts on it?

Atlantic Cove Layout

Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 6:10 PM #368227

A premium student deck would be a great addition. The students nearest the field make a lot of noise, in a good way, and that should be encouraged. Not sure I'd go full-on beach theme in the sense of bringing in sand and planting palm trees but we could explore other options, maybe Athletics work with those students who regularly attend games in that section and ask what they'd want. This is definitely a "develop the area to their ideas" vs a "let's predict what they want and hope we don't regret it" situation. 

You called it the Atlantic Cove, which reminded me of The Cove area in the southeast corner that, now that I think of it, I'm not sure if they really played that up this year or if they abandoned that idea (I sit in the Hyundai Deck and don't pass by there on my way in anymore, so I'm trying to remember)

Anyway, yeah, the North Concourse definitely needs something. It's pretty much a ghost town over there except for when the students enter/leave. Not that every part of the concourse needs to be jumping but we should aspire to that eventually. 
Back to the top