Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 FAU Volleyball

Add topic

Island_Owl88 said

I will attend the last two home games… I like seeing FAU winning.
Posted On: Oct 11th 2016, 6:51 PM #360969
I kept my word.
Back to the top

The FAU volleyball team ended its regular season by sweeping (25-23, 25-20, 25-13) Charlotte on Senior Day. The Owls enter the conference tournament with a 15-13 overall record and 10-4 in Conference USA play.

The Owls will now wait to see who they will play in the first round of the C-USA Tournament, which begins on Friday, Nov. 18 in Houston, Texas.
Back to the top

C-USA Freshman of the Week - Sigourney Kame, Florida Atlantic

Kame racked up 22 kills, coupled with eight digs and two blocks in a pair of Florida Atlantic sweeps over the weekend. The rookie hit .447 in those matches while averaging 3.67 kills per set. Kame has now registered 16 double-digit kill matches, and at one point this season had a streak of 13 in a row. This is the first weekly award of Kame's career.
Back to the top

Three Florida Atlantic University volleyball players earned all-conference honors, as announced by Conference USA Wednesday.

Outside hitter Maja Ristic was named to the first team for the second consecutive year. The senior from Brcko, Bosnia once again leads the team in kills (382), kills per set (3.6) and service aces (38), as she did last season. Her 3.6 kill-per-set average is fourth in the conference. Ristic was named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week earlier this season for totaling 40 kills in a pair of five set wins over Rice and North Texas.

Sophomore Abbi Reid also was named First Team All C-USA. Reid led the team in hitting percentage (.343) and blocks per set (0.84) despite playing out of position most of the season. The native of Denver, Colorado, also averaged 2.45 kills per set and she posted 14 double-digit kill matches during the year.

Sigourney Kame was named to the All-Freshman team. Kame, from Paramaribo, Suriname, finished the regular season second on the team in kills per set (2.89). She had 16 double-digit kill matches and was named C-USA Freshman of the Week for the final regular-season weekend.

FAU will face UTSA in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament on Friday at 3 p.m. in Houston, Texas.
Back to the top

FAU volleyball saw the season come to an end with  a 3-1 loss to UTSA on Friday in the C-USA Tournament.

UTSA raced out to a quick 6-2 lead in the first set only to see Florida Atlantic storm back to take a 12-11 lead. The first set remained nip and tuck until an ace from Antonela Jularic gave the Roadrunners a three point cushion on which they would build on to secure a 25-20 first-set victory.

Set two also saw a quick start for the Roadrunners as they jumped out to a 10-6 advatage. Dajana Boskovic would not let the Owls draw any closer as the senior pounded out seven kills in the frame to give UTSA another 25-20 win. 

Florida Atlantic rallied in the third set, holding UTSA to a .147 hitting percentage. Maja Ristic added six kills in the frame, giving the Owls the 25-22 victory.

The fourth set was a back and forth affair until UTSA notched four straight points to lead 15-11. Boskovic kept the Roadrunners in front the rest of the way and secured the set and the match
Back to the top

I remember seeing this story but I guess we didn't talk about it because it's volleyball.

Back in April 2017 the UP reported that "FAU students Emily Hise and Koreen Varney were arrested by Boca police for allegedly stealing over $1,400 worth of women’s activewear and Calvin Klein clothing from Macy’s."

Kori Varney (SO) and Emily Hise (SO) are both still listed on the 2017 Roster.

So I guess my question is… should we be surprised? For instance, if these were players caught for this on the football or basketball teams, would they still be with the team?

(Maybe football's a bad example because of the unusual "free agent" situation we have going on this season, but you know what I mean)
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I remember seeing this story but I guess we didn't talk about it because it's volleyball.

Back in April 2017 the UP reported that "FAU students Emily Hise and Koreen Varney were arrested by Boca police for allegedly stealing over $1,400 worth of women’s activewear and Calvin Klein clothing from Macy’s."

Kori Varney (SO) and Emily Hise (SO) are both still listed on the 2017 Roster.

So I guess my question is… should we be surprised? For instance, if these were players caught for this on the football or basketball teams, would they still be with the team?

(Maybe football's a bad example because of the unusual "free agent" situation we have going on this season, but you know what I mean)

Posted On: Aug 28th 2017, 2:31 PM #370270

Kick them off the team and out of the school.  The one girl is 6'2" she's gonna stick out in public.  Rule #1 when shoplifting blend in.  SMH.
Back to the top

If convicted kick em out. Til then off team til charges dropped, reduced or found innocent.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

If convicted kick em out. Til then off team til charges dropped, reduced or found innocent.
Posted On: Aug 28th 2017, 3:27 PM #370273

I hate we live in a country were we feel like we need to punish people as much as possible for mistakes.

It's why we have the worlds highest incarceration rates because despite serving a punishment the moral soldiers come out and want to pile on them. I am sure this girl had pay fines, court fees, are on some kind of probation in addition to having a record and faces all over the internet, but we feel we must kick them out of school and off a team that because will certainly lead to them becoming better young women. Most people do not think long term though it's how Trump won an election.
Back to the top
Control functions: