Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 BONFIRE

Add topic

Surprised no one brought this up yet - usually people are up in arms about whether this will or won't happen and our first game is on Friday.

Here's the info, via the UP:

10th Annual Bonfire
Thursday 8/31
7 pm
Boca Housing Lawn

Concert: Yung Joc     :Laughing:why

Interesting twist: "As for the building of the bonfire structure, FAU brought in artist Brennan Steele from New Orleans to help create its original design. Steele is known for his floats and bonfires ranging from giant alligators to massive burning robots."

EDIT: He actually did our Olympic Torch bonfire sculpture last year. He does good work. Bringing him in is a good choice.
Back to the top

The bonfire has become it's own thin, really don't feel a connection to it anymore from an athletic perspective…It became an excuse to spend student money on a concert and little to nothing to do with the football team…just my two cents :) 
Back to the top

I understand that argument. And the older you get, the weirder it probably is to attend events like these because you're primarily among freshmen and sophomores.

To be fair to FAU regarding the connection to athletics, they will have the football captains speaking to "get people hype"… but I think at this point students have a pretty good idea of whether they're going or not because their tickets are sold out, so hyping them up even more to go to a game they're already going to is a little redundant.

Not something we could say last year, of course. We're riding the new coach wave right now.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I understand that argument. And the older you get, the weirder it probably is to attend events like these because you're primarily among freshmen and sophomores.

To be fair to FAU regarding the connection to athletics, they will have the football captains speaking to "get people hype"… but I think at this point students have a pretty good idea of whether they're going or not because their tickets are sold out, so hyping them up even more to go to a game they're already going to is a little redundant.

Not something we could say last year, of course. We're riding the new coach wave right now.
Posted On: Aug 30th 2017, 7:34 PM #370346

Having Young Joc is awesome.
It's a fun affordable rapper. When we went to Alabama we saw Dem Franchise boys at our Fraternity's house there. It's fun the rapper make a few grand then play get drunk with us a take down down a couple sorority girls.
Also I don't really think it's about getting kids hyped for the game it's just fun thing for students to do.

Back to the top

See what I mean…

Back to the top
Control functions: