Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Are you worried about Kiffin leaving?

This is early but I see his name everywhere.  This would be tough to swallow.  Do we try and retain someone from the staff if he leaves or do we go outside?
Back to the top

Believe we will get at least another year, but the buyout is $2M so if he gets swept off his feet with another offer we'll be ok…obviously not the same as having him but still.

Briles would seem the best choice on a possible replacement considering he'll have a full year as an active OC, would provide continuity, and would keep us competitive offensively. 
Back to the top

Kiffin's name is getting thrown around a whole lot like all the other "big names" have been thrown around for years.  When big-time boosters with deep pockets at some of these schools start saying his name, then it becomes more real.  I hate to say it, but Kiffin's name is still the punch-line in numerous places.  His approach of embracing the "Last Chance U" mentality has done great things for a program like FAU's, but I don't think it will play well at many traditional powers.  So the question comes down to would he really consider a move to anything outside of the P5?  Personally I think he still has to prove himself (we are all excited, but FAU is still a 4-3 football team with losses against Buffalo and the other 2 top teams on our schedule), and I'd guess he doesn't really want to go from FAU to even say the AAC.  Please take that the right way - I am excited and know that we are on a path to go where the team hasn't gone in years, but that is not an SEC/ACC/Big10 etc. resume builder just yet.

There will most likely be some kind of domino-effect with coaches at the big schools who get fired being replaced.  Their replacements also leave jobs open, and their replacements do, and down the line.  If Tennessee or Arkansas really came calling, maybe he would go.  But I think the question right now are schools like that (especially Tennessee given the history) really going to come calling?  If not, I say he stays because he won't want the next job in that domino-line.

As for retaining the staff, he will need to assemble a staff wherever he goes.  Having the buyout money to use towards the next guy will help FAU, and the opportunity to become a head coach is probably enough to keep whoever we wanted to offer the job to.  But if they are valuable, Kiffin will try to take as many as he can.
Back to the top

I could be wrong, but I feel Lane is going to be a bit picky on his next move.  Not just a money thing.  I needs to be a place where he feels he can have control. A place that truly wants him. Remember, he kind of has a reputation. Deserved or not.  And I know , in the back of his crazy like a fox mind, he would love to be able to build a program that can knock ole Nick off his mountain top. Heck, maybe he can do that at FAU and never leave Boca.
Back to the top

My two favorite options? This is off the cuff as I am waiting for a meeting to begin:

1. Lane Kiffin stays put, brings back the same team in 2018, and the Owls don't lose a game until they face Ohio State in the first game of the year in 2019. All the while they are rumored to be moving to a P5 Conference by 2020. 1% Chance?

2. Chris Kiffin and/or Briles shift to Head Ball Coach for the Owls following Lane's departure in 2018. Whomever doesn;t become Head Ball Coach (Kiffin or Briles) stays on as coordinator/ast head coach. 3% Chance?

Back to the top

I don't think he is going after this year; however, he makes $1,000,000/yr roughly, it's not unthinkable that a school will be willing to pay him 3 to 4 times that if puts two great seasons together.  I think he likes South Florida and building this program but from a monetary standpoint, we'd have to be looking to double his salary by the end of next season and increase that of his assistants.  I don't think we have to boosters for it, but it would be nice.
Back to the top

I guess another question would be could Briles get picked off due to his low salary?
Back to the top

ALUM0526 said

I guess another question would be could Briles get picked off due to his low salary?
Posted On: Oct 24th 2017, 6:21 PM #372173

Well again there will be a lot of schools that want nothing to do with him because of his last name 
Back to the top

Good point
Back to the top

It would be a shame for Coach Kiffin to be one and done, but as the AD said, if he leaves before his contract is up, that means he did his job. I would hope that Kendal Briles is offered the job by FAU if he departs. 

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. 

Roll Owls 🦉!!!!  Let’s take care of the Red Blob this week. 
Back to the top
Control functions: