Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Marshall @ FAU Game Thread - Nov 3rd, 2017

Add topic

Have to agree with everyone. This was a great win, a huge win. We beat FIU, we will be hosting the conference title game. We hold the tie breaker over everyone except FIU right now and I know we will beat them. Wish there was more butts in the seat, but great turnout again for the students, and way to stick around most of them for the game. It all comes down to the battle for the Shula Trophy in two weeks for East Division crown. Go Owls. Lane Train rolling on through.
Back to the top

The most fun I have ever had at an FAU game just wow.

After the rain, the crowd that was left was great everyone standing and yelling. (sections 100-110 need to do that more you all sit too much)

It felt like everyone who has stayed with this program was getting the win we have deserved.

Back to the top

Great game except for the last 2:30. The last :8 were amusing watching the Marshall team lateral the ball all over the field.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I can't believe that last touchdown by Marshall.  4th and 10, their qb is forced out of the pocket, is being chased and throws a pass on the run.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I'm happy we won but I wasn't thrilled with the play. Defense was good . Way too many penalties. Yes, some were boarder line, but they were called. The offense totally disappeared thru the second quarter and half of third. Driskel made some "driskels". A couple big plays and turn overs saved us. Must play better vs the next two teams to get wins. WE'ER BOWLIN.
Back to the top

I'd like to see some points off special teams.  Heck, even seeing a decent punt return would be nice.  

Just seems this part of the game is for control only (catch the ball, don't fumble, don't lose field position) but we need that portion to contribute more.

We really need to develop the passing game, obviously.  McNeal, Franklin, Woods - we've got some great guys outside of Wright and Bryant waiting to get the ball.  The pass sets up the run - at some point the run can be shut down and we'll need that down field game.

Defensive line, blitzes, stunts - more heat on the opposing quarterbacks, more sacks.  Another obvious point, but really need some progress here.

Loving this team (coaches and players) and really enjoying this season.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I'm happy we won but I wasn't thrilled with the play. Defense was good . Way too many penalties. Yes, some were boarder line, but they were called. The offense totally disappeared thru the second quarter and half of third. Driskel made some "driskels". A couple big plays and turn overs saved us. Must play better vs the next two teams to get wins. WE'ER BOWLIN.
Posted On: Nov 4th 2017, 5:57 AM #372774
Agree – extremely happy of course. Some aspects of the game were disappointing to me, one having nothing to do with what we did: The referees literally extended the game for Marshall. That last Marshall TD was gift wrapped because of 2 of the most horrendous penalties I have ever seen called in a college football game. The game should have been wrapped up before Marshall's last TD, but the refs inexplicably chose to extend their drive. Just awful stuff.

I know our offensive output by the numbers is great, and while 30 points isn't gangbusters, it's solid. But imagine what our offense might be without Motor? I guess it's just not going to be possible this year, but would love to be able to mix up a legitimate passing game and take some pressure off the RBs. There were very long stretches of that game where Marshall clearly keyed in on our dumps and running plays and we could not move the ball at all. The blueprint is out there – stop the running game and some of the trickery and you stop the offense, period. It's just that nobody can stop it for an entire game. This doesn't appear to be much of an issue against C USA level so far, but I'd imagine LTech and FIU now have a lot of good film to prepare. We have what I would consider solid WRs who don't seem to even have the opportunity to touch the ball the entire game. Kind of crazy – but can't argue with the results to this point – and it's a testament to a great coaching staff properly evaluating our strengths and weaknesses and preparing accordingly.
Back to the top

At this point if our passing game was going to develop/improve, it really should have. So we're likely going to ride this model of offense through to the off-season.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

At this point if our passing game was going to develop/improve, it really should have. So we're likely going to ride this model of offense through to the off-season.
Posted On: Nov 4th 2017, 1:11 PM #372785

I know we get concerned that the passing game isn't opening up, but I really credit the coaches for being willing to adjust the game plan to our strengths. I can't remember how many times we looked at CP and were like "WHY DOESN'T HE RUN THE BALL!?!?!?!" when Buddy and Motor were hot, or how Pelini would bizarrely move away from what was working to something that we no success with.

The we play right now reminds me of how Bama played when we had Eddie Lacey, then Derrick Henry. Ran the ball all the time. And it was fun because Bama knew we were running the ball, the other team knew we were running the ball, the fans knew we were running the ball. Literally everybody in the stadium and watching tv knew that Bama was going to run that ball, and that it was going to work. Nothing wrong with winning championships that way, especially when you've got the most prolific runner in the country, and two offensive savants coaching the team.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Great game except for the last 2:30. The last :8 were amusing watching the Marshall team lateral the ball all over the field.
Posted On: Nov 4th 2017, 12:38 AM #372772

That last 2:30 ensured Coach K is here next year. NO major program really going to think he is ready again yet after THAT F UP! But great game and win Owls and Owl fans, a first win over Marshall AND Bowl Eligible!!!! Hoot Hoot!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: