Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Boca Bowl Game Thread - Akron @ FAU - Dec 19th @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

owlsdad said

Just looking at Akron's stats:

Defense  
Points per game 26.31
Rushing yards per game 196.5
Passing yards per game 235.6
Total yards per game 432.2

Offense  
Points per game 23.6
Rushing yards per game 108.2
Passing yards per game 220.9
Total yards per game 329.1

They do have 19 interceptions on the year, and have held opponents to less than 35% on 3rd-down conversions.  To be fair, you probably should throw out the Penn State game (although you would need to throw out our game against Wisconsin, too), but even doing that statistically they don't look real great.  Of course, games aren't played on spreadsheets, and they did beat Buffalo.  Seems like they will probably want to slow it down and limit our chances - stereotypical "Midwest" versus "South" kind of game (speed usually kills, but not always).

Based solely on the stats and their scores, I would think FAU opens at a pretty sizable favorite.  Has anybody seen a spread yet?
Posted On: Dec 4th 2017, 3:20 PM #374916

-17.5 first line I saw
Back to the top

Not to get too ahead of ourselves 😀 as we do have to beat Akron, but Auburn is 9 1/2 point favorite over UCF. If we win and UCF loses we have the longest win streak in the country. If we get the win it'll be so fun watching the New Years bowl games. Let's throw a Miami loss and were barely behind those teams in the rankings.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Not to get too ahead of ourselves 😀 as we do have to beat Akron, but Auburn is 9 1/2 point favorite over UCF. If we win and UCF loses we have the longest win streak in the country. If we get the win it'll be so fun watching the New Years bowl games. Let's throw a Miami loss and were barely behind those teams in the rankings.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2017, 4:07 PM #374922

I'm hoping that all other Florida schools lose. I want to be the only program in the state that wins it's bowl this year.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

it could happen. I don't know what kind of speed the zips have but it is hard to imagine they can keep up with Singletary, Woods or Franklin III and others.
Posted On: Dec 4th 2017, 2:59 PM #374913

Akron run D next to last in the MAC!
Back to the top

And FAU rushing offense - #6…….

in the NATION!!!!
Back to the top

Oh, and the Akron Pass D next to last in the MAC as well, but they do pic the ball, their one strong suit!
Back to the top

O 3rd from bottom in scoring, next to last in total O in the MAC.
Back to the top

Special teams dead last in Punt returns (2 yrds. per), 5th from bottom (18 yards per) in Kick returns. Punter OK, Kicker, well, 3 of 'em this year, enough said!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Our leaders in conference and school failed this team.

We deserved better than Akron and I am not buying the bulls*** of be happy because we weren't here last year.

You never know how long this will last.  We should be Akron by 45 and everyone will be underwhelmed.

Our leaders need to know over over and over again they failed and maybe it wont happen again.

Posted On: Dec 4th 2017, 3:24 PM #374918

Ranking 2017-18 college football bowl games by watchability - SBNation.com

They rated us 3.1 out of 5 for watchability. They only rated Independence 1.6 and gasparilla 1.4.

Its not just the people in the stands its also the TV ratings that do make a difference. If

Back to the top

They did win 7 total games by two were by 1 point and another by 3. NOT impressive so the MAIN THING the Coaches need to worry about is getting the guys motivated to defend their turf from the 27 Florida traitors who play for Akron! LEAVE NO DOUBT OWLS!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: