Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule

Add topic

I haven't been to a game in a few years but I can't imagine that the attendance is very good.  I get that the program has limited resources and is a difficult place to win, but you can't tell me that we can't do better than losing by 30 at home to a conference opponent.  Curry seems like a nice guy, but he was the wrong hire from the start and it's just not getting any better.  He's in his 4th season and is 33-72.  He's 13-43 in CUSA games!!  That is almost impossibly bad!

You have to think that if things don't turn around soon (and I can't really see how), we will be in the market for another head coach after the season.  Curry will have 2 years left on his deal and it would be the right time to cut bait.  I have to think that the amount of years left was the only thing that saved him last year.
Back to the top

Posted this in another thread last week, will repost here.

It's time for change - period. Last night was a complete embarrassment. Lose by 30+ points at home?

Unacceptable.

owl said

Hope so, but it's hard to imagine that the university can afford the buyout while also paying Kiffin.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 10:18 PM #376038

Rick said

Minimal in the big picture…

Year one: $750,000 (2014-15)
Year two: $600,000 (2015-16)
Year three: $400,000 (2016-17)
Year four: $200,000 (2017-18)
Year five: $100,000 (2018-19)

He will get $15,000 as a lump sum retention payment on July 18th, 2018 if he is still coach, so parting ways will save the department that amount.

He's 33-71 overall, and 13-42 in Conference play at this point…

Will be gone.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 10:46 PM #376039

And yes, I agree that 400K was too much to carry, and 200 wasn't far off.

100K - it's over.
Back to the top

When I attended FAU, there was no football team – basketball was king for the student population, especially for those actually living on or very near campus. There was one good year I can remember when I was there (i.e. coming within one minute of beating a ranked College of Charleston team at home), surrounded by some mediocre years – but it was cool to be able to walk over and watch games. I knew a bunch of the players as well.

It's just sad to see the basketball program never really turning the corner, especially given all the momentum in football. Unless the facilities and resources for the program improve rather dramatically (which probably won't happen any time soon), I'm not sure we will be able to attract a staff or players that can get the program on the right track.
Back to the top

Rick said

Posted this in another thread last week, will repost here.

It's time for change - period. Last night was a complete embarrassment. Lose by 30+ points at home?

Unacceptable.

owl said

Hope so, but it's hard to imagine that the university can afford the buyout while also paying Kiffin.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 10:18 PM #376038

Rick said

Minimal in the big picture…

Year one: $750,000 (2014-15)
Year two: $600,000 (2015-16)
Year three: $400,000 (2016-17)
Year four: $200,000 (2017-18)
Year five: $100,000 (2018-19)

He will get $15,000 as a lump sum retention payment on July 18th, 2018 if he is still coach, so parting ways will save the department that amount.

He's 33-71 overall, and 13-42 in Conference play at this point…

Will be gone.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2017, 10:46 PM #376039

And yes, I agree that 400K was too much to carry, and 200 wasn't far off.

100K - it's over.
Posted On: Jan 5th 2018, 8:53 AM #376111

Thanks for posting this.  This backs up my theory that they just had to stick it out another year and hoped it worked out for financial reasons.  Unless Curry can magically turn this around, he has to be gone at the end of the year.  
Back to the top

d-owl said

…There was one good year I can remember when I was there (i.e. coming within one minute of beating a ranked College of Charleston team at home)…
Posted On: Jan 5th 2018, 8:54 AM #376112

Wow, trip down memory lane…that game was on February 15th, 1997…and we lost a 64-60 heart breaker to the Cougars (29-3, 16-0) who had Thaddeus Delaney as their big man and went on to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. That was back when I was running marketing and also doing the announcing…remember calling that game…we used to put a huge balloon out front at the west glades entrance and light it up at night.

Students came out no matter the record…

Man, seems so long ago!

(guess it was)

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

On a side note, Matt Mcall is now the head coach at UMass and is 52-23 overall as a skipper (69.3%).
Back to the top

I understand that the university had no choice and had to keep Curry one more year, but the way this team is playing is getting out of hand. It is down right embarrassing, especially given the level of talent that the team seems to have.  Looking at the roster, the team should have been able to go .500 in conference play and I honestly believe at this point, that the team could go the rest of the year without a win.  It is that bad.

The team looks lost out there.  The effort and scheme on defense is atrocious and offensively they are very stagnant.  There is zero ball movement and the offense relies on the players to beat their men mostly off one on one play.  If anything should have been taken out of last nights game, it was UABs coaching staff showing you how much they are able to get out of their players with a much less talented roster.

I have gone to pretty much every game this year and last night will be my last game I attend until FAU starts to take the program seriously again (by hiring someone who is competent).  The problem stems well above Curry's head and starts with Mr. Chun.

Yes, the facility sucks and the financial resources are not fully there, I get it, but you ultimately brought in an AD to help fix those things.  He hasn't done a damn thing to fix that or make it better.  And the one thing he has focused on (football) is only successful because of his boss. I think at this point it is time for President Kelly to get rid of Chun, as he continues to keep searching for new jobs.   
Back to the top

Rick said

d-owl said

…There was one good year I can remember when I was there (i.e. coming within one minute of beating a ranked College of Charleston team at home)…
Posted On: Jan 5th 2018, 8:54 AM #376112

Wow, trip down memory lane…that game was on February 15th, 1997…and we lost a 64-60 heart breaker to the Cougars (29-3, 16-0) who had Thaddeus Delaney as their big man and went on to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. That was back when I was running marketing and also doing the announcing…remember calling that game…we used to put a huge balloon out front at the west glades entrance and light it up at night.

Students came out no matter the record…

Man, seems so long ago!

(guess it was)

:Big-Grin:

Posted On: Jan 5th 2018, 9:15 AM #376115

Haha yes, I was right there. We had that game and I distinctly remember us all talking about rushing the court – but we literally fell apart in the last minute or so. That was a good team (96-97). I remember the FIU game that year had a great atmosphere. We were this close to rushing the court that game but didn't. Yeah, that was a long time ago – jeez lol. Another quick trip down memory lane, do you recall the year before Georgetown was supposed to come to Boca!? We were all hyped for that – Iverson was on that team. They cancelled that game right before the season and got us all upset lol.
Back to the top

Yep, that was the plan but it fell apart…they didn't want anything to do with us after the COC result and bought out!
Back to the top

d-owl said

That was a good team (96-97). I remember the FIU game that year had a great atmosphere. We were this close to rushing the court that game but didn't.
Posted On: Jan 5th 2018, 10:20 AM #376122

Here's the link to the game story for the FIU game - it was crazy!

We passed the ball the length of the court with very little time left for a wide open lay-up by Tremayne Hunter…

That was a great game…think I still have it on tape…will try and pull it out and post some footage.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1997-01-31/sports/9701310043_1_throats-craig-buchanan-philip-huyler

Back to the top
Control functions: