Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Let's Review: A Look Back at FAU's Class of 2013

Add topic

ORIGINAL TOPIC: Poll: Grade FAU's 2013 Signing Class - FAU Owl's Nest

Player PO 24/7 Rtg 24/7 Stars Act. Perf. Notes
Austin Bland  OG 0.8406 *** * Don’t recall him seeing the field, graduated in 17
Robert Miller DB 0.8214 *** NR Didn’t see action, transferred to St. Francis Uni in 2015
Lance Burlingame  DL 0.8208 *** NR JUCO saw some action in 1st season, not sure after that
Jay Warren  RB 0.8125 *** *** Ran well, fumble issues, basically benched Sr season
Quez Johnson  QB 0.7995 *** *** JUCO 3 yr starter, played well when healthy, lacked accuracy
Robert Relf  LB 0.7989 *** *** Had a good soph season, Career ending injury Jr yr 
Kalib Woods  WR 0.7982 *** *** Great Jr yr, short Sr. season played great again
DJ Juste  DB 0.7932 *** * Came as a QB, then WR, then DB. Had limited playing time
Andrew Curtis  LB 0.7917 ** * Played ST in 13, not sure after that
Braden Lyons OL 0.7906 ** ** JUCO Played T and C in his 2 yrs, solid and consistent
Ronnie Scott DB 0.7857 ** * Played 2 seasons, saw limited ST action
Trey Hendrickson DE 0.7857 ** **** Great #'s in Jr and Sr years, mostly against double teams
Reggie Brown DB 0.7824 ** * Played 2 seasons, saw limited action, career ending injury
Greg Hankerson QB 0.7824 ** * Played 2 seasons, saw limited action, transferred
Jace Banfell OL 0.7817 ** NR RS Fr then was no longer on team
Derek Butcher DL 0.7805 ** ** JUCO. OL then DL, part of DL rotation Sr season
Tyler Henderson DB 0.7790 ** NR Don’t think he was with the team for long
Marcus Clark RB 0.7790 ** ** Saw action as a RB and on ST
Dustin Bowens TE 0.7782 ** ** Saw action as a TE and on ST
Lester Thomas DB 0.7757 ** ** Saw action as a DB and on ST
Lucky Whitehead WR 0.7644 ** *** JUCO, Good Sr season as starting WR and KR/PR
Marc Mauro DB 0.7600 ** * JUCO, saw limited action
Jakobi Smith OL 0.7581 ** ** Rotational OL, few starts, consistent
Jeremy Faulk DL 0.7531 ** * Scout team, transferred, was in a messy situation at BU
Khilyni Kennedy DE NR NR NR Don’t think he was with the team for long

To compare apples to apples, I tried to model 247's star system as best I could.  Their ratings are based on composite from several sources, but I used the criteria below which seems to fit most rating sites.  My ratings are obviously subjective but I think the overall conclusion is this class was underwhelming.  I believe this was Pelini's last class, so the coaching changes didn't help the players as a whole.  Anyways hindsight is 20/20.

NR on the team for less than 2 seasons
* Not a quantifiable contributor
** Role Player
*** Reliable G5 Starter/P5 Contributor
**** P5 Starter
***** P5 Star
Back to the top

Holy blast from the past nicely done review!  :cool:

Are you going to do this for subsequent years??

If so, I'd like to feature them as stand alone posts so they don't get buried within an already existing topic!

Back to the top

Rick said

Holy blast from the past nicely done review!  :cool:

Are you going to do this for subsequent years??

If so, I'd like to feature them as stand alone posts so they don't get buried within an already existing topic!

Posted On: Mar 31st 2018, 9:28 PM #377892

Thanks Rick!  I was planning on doing 2014 since most of them graduated this year or are Rs Sr.  Mayyyyyybe 2015 but I have to look, if we had a lot of RS from that class they still have 2 years left and are probably just now coming into their own.
Back to the top

Ok, sounds good…i'm going to break this off to a separate topic then!
Back to the top

Very good job Owlmart - very fair assesments!
Back to the top

Interesting to actually see. Goes to show how hit and miss recruiting was when we were losing year after year. I think today's recruits have a much higher rate of success. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Back to the top

Yea bad bad bad class.

Only 5-6 players made any real impact.

A lot of guys just had bad luck with injuries. Reggie Brown, Robert Relf couldn’t stay healthy.
Also Andrew Curtis has to leave the program because Trey Hendrickson sucker punched him in the jaw one time breaking his jaw so bad he had to quit.

This is what happed when you scrap the bottom of Juco and don’t have any real recruiting ties.
Back to the top

Thanks for the feedback, this took me back as well.  The formatting was annoying me, so hopefully the table is easier on the eyes. I think there's enough out there to do the 2012 class next.

I graduated back in 09 so I remember hearing about the locker room fights of the Schnelly era.  Never heard the Andrew Curtis story, crazy!

Jeremy Faulk was almost a case of the one that got away but crazy story of him in the Briles mess, Google if you need a refresher.
Back to the top

Excellent work. Would definitely be interested in seeing more of this.

Ratings are subjective as you point out though I would argue Lucky deserved higher (at least ****) for actual performance. Dude was a legitimate playmaker. Plus, anybody who ends up in the NFL probably deserves ****.

But again, subjective.

Thanks again for doing this! Would make for a good blog series IMHO… help TON build out their blog offerings.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Excellent work. Would definitely be interested in seeing more of this.

Ratings are subjective as you point out though I would argue Lucky deserved higher (at least ****) for actual performance. Dude was a legitimate playmaker. Plus, anybody who ends up in the NFL probably deserves ****.

But again, subjective.

Thanks again for doing this! Would make for a good blog series IMHO… help TON build out their blog offerings.
Posted On: Apr 1st 2018, 10:35 AM #377901

Thanks Doc!

As far as Lucky, most sites agree 4* is top 300 in their class.  For arguments sake, you can say the 250-260 players that get drafted fit that category.  Then there's another 250-300 for rookie free agents signed in the 24 hours after the draft, which is where Lucky was.  Obviously, he exceeded the odds and not only didn't get cut his rookie year, he also suited up on game days, so I get the argument for 4*s.  I'd say my reasoning for going 3* with Lucky is I don't remember him having great games when we played P5 teams, unlike Trey who had a great game vs UF and another one vs K State.  I don't necessarily disagree with Lucky being considered 4*, I just dont think his numbers or his play against top competition while he was here were enough.

As far as a blog, I wouldn't mind;just hoping for good discussion like whether Lucky is a 3 or 4 star? :cool:
Back to the top
Control functions: