Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dorms over capacity. Innovative village phase II??

Add topic

owlsdad said

And interesting from above ^^^^^^^^^^

Just got off the phone with my daughter, and she said the campus is jam-packed.  Part (or maybe all) of some of the parking garages are closed, so there is nowhere to park.  She said everywhere she goes there is just way more people than last year.

We'll call it the "Lane Effect".
Posted On: Sep 6th 2018, 3:42 PM #380269

Every Fall semester sees more students than we have seen before. Now the first floor of Parking Garage 3 (the stadium garage) is closed for the construction of the new Shmidt Complex. This closure only affects about 50 parking spots, but when you add about another thousand students on campus, any additional parking would help.

When I live off campus, I would either bicycle to school, go straight to the top of the stadium garage, or go straight to lot 5 and catch the shuttle to the Breezeway. The parking situation really isn't that bad. Every school's students thnk that they have the worst parking situation and parking department. But if you arrive early, and utilyze the resources given to you, you'll be much happier and less stressed.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

During the Air Force game they interviewed President Kelly who said we're building ~$120M worth of dorms.

According to this site, that's what the Innovation Village apts cost to build.

By comparison, Parliament Hall was $46M.

Take that as you will.
Back to the top

I hope that we do it!
Back to the top

And that's an interesting comment because previously Kelly had said we hoped to have private developers build the dorms moving forward. So either those proposals are on the table, which would be a surprise, or FAU has decided to make their own.

Why does it matter? Well, in theory we might be able to cut a deal like we did with the stadium to get some side money for the land. I know Athletics is currently doing studies to see how much it would cost to upgrade or replace the baseball stadium and the Burrow, as well as a new building for tennis/track'n'field. Not saying FAU would necessarily go that way but they should think about it.

The projects shortlist says, "PM working on ballpark construction budget after conversations with multiple contractors for all trades."

Can White get this done? Is he finally the guy to make it happen? Where is the money going to come from?

As I mentioned in the blog, there was some idea of a southeast complex that would include dorms and shops and would result in FAU getting a good chunk of change, but that was never mentioned again since the article. Wonder if FAU is going to revisit this idea now.
Back to the top

I am sure it is a pain for the kids who didn't get a spot on campus, and who knows how the master plan ends up shaking out.  But there is no doubt this is an explosive time of growth for the school.  My middle daughter is a Senior this year and she started out with an "anywhere but FAU" approach primarily because that is where her older sister goes.  Now she is going down with a friend for an official tour of the school next Friday, and both of them have already applied.  Exciting times for all of you alums!

Now that I will have 2 in college starting next Fall and another daughter who is a Sophomore in high school now, donations can be sent to…..
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I am sure it is a pain for the kids who didn't get a spot on campus, and who knows how the master plan ends up shaking out.  But there is no doubt this is an explosive time of growth for the school.  My middle daughter is a Senior this year and she started out with an "anywhere but FAU" approach primarily because that is where her older sister goes.  Now she is going down with a friend for an official tour of the school next Friday, and both of them have already applied.  Exciting times for all of you alums!

Now that I will have 2 in college starting next Fall and another daughter who is a Sophomore in high school now, donations can be sent to…..
Posted On: Sep 9th 2018, 11:29 AM #380556

Good one Owlsdad!!! Spoken from a man with four daughters who all went to College! And there is WAY MORE $$$ needed for dorm fixtures and supplies and living expenses that kinda don't get mentioned but gotta be paid for!!!

My granddaughter up here in Georgia is a HUGE Owls fan and would go there IF we had a Women's lacrosse team. She scored a hat trick in yest. season opener! Hint, hint Dr. Kelly and Mr. White! :Winking:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

owlsdad said

Posted On: Sep 9th 2018, 11:29 AM #380556

Good one Owlsdad!!! Spoken from a man with four daughters who all went to College! And there is WAY MORE $$$ needed for dorm fixtures and supplies and living expenses that kinda don't get mentioned but gotta be paid for!!!

My granddaughter up here in Georgia is a HUGE Owls fan and would go there IF we had a Women's lacrosse team. She scored a hat trick in yest. season opener! Hint, hint Dr. Kelly and Mr. White! :Winking:
Posted On: Sep 9th 2018, 11:49 AM #380561

FWIW, there is a women's club lacrosse team!

I was on campus on a Friday at about 2 pm and all of the garages were full. When I was in school (2016) the garages almost never filled up and were never even close to capacity on a Friday. Just speaks to how crowded and popular The FAU has become.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

THANKS NJ OWL - SHE WANTS AND NEEDS A SCHOLLY! 2 MORE GOALS TODAY IN GAME TWO - HOOT HOOT! :Big-Grin:
Back to the top
Control functions: