Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ #18 UCF Game Thread - September 21, 2018

Add topic

FAU @ #18 UCF Game Thread - September 21, 2018

The Matchup: FAU (2-1) vs. #18 UCF (2-0)

When: Friday, September 21st, 7:00 PM

Where: Spectrum Stadium

Weather: Current conditions Spectrum Stadium

The Series: UCF took the lone meeting against the Owls 33-29 back in 2003.

UCF Team Site: Here

Game Information

TV: ESPN

Live Video: None

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Stats: Here

Opening Line: FAU +13

Back to the top

I feel like we’re gonna open at least 2 TD dawgs
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I feel like we’re gonna open at least 2 TD dawgs
Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 2:45 PM #380851

Yeah, I'm thinking 17ish, deservedly so at this point.
Back to the top

FAU +13

(yikes)
Back to the top

Rick said

FAU +13

(yikes)
Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 5:06 PM #380861

Places bet on UCF immediately 
Back to the top

Motor and White are probably getting a boatload of carries to keep the ball away from their O....we gotta make this a grindfest

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

We do need to control the game and the good news is the UCF D is not great. They have played a very bad UCONN and FCS SC St.

UCONN got 486 yards with 220 rushing for a 4.8 av. and passed for 266 with 41 attempts and no sacks against. BUT UCONN did lose the TO battle with 3 to none for UCF.

Control the ball and tackle on D is needed of course. The D should be rested as many played short roles vs. BCU.

C'mon Owls players and Coaches - THIS CAN BE YOUR MOMENT!
Back to the top

From what I've seen, we do not have the lines to compete in this football game.  I am also concerned about the match ups with their WR's.  Our CB's are small…their WR's are are the opposite.  

Could be a long night.

As I keep saying…grab a cocktail and enjoy the ride.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

TBH I think UCF is due for a loss and they will be working the kinks with the UNC game being cancelled. I believe we can compete, but it comes down to execution and who wants it more.  If we win this game it can change everything, we would have ended the longest winning streak in the nation and also would’ve beaten our first ranked team at the FBS level.  We can catch this team off guard but for some reason this year is slightly off.  It’s like a pitcher throwing all balls and occasional strikes, that’s us struggling to find the strike zone or essentially missing it by an inch or so.  That can be so frustrating to have all the intangibles and still not compete as you like. The hype was there, the recognition by sports networks is growing and it seems like we always fold on the best stages.  If we get blown out in this game and got to a bowl game and win it will still almost to a degree mean nothing.  These primetime games are everything and gives the country a chance to see who we are and to build an identity.  I wanted to go up and see this game in Orlando, but its not worth spending all that money to see us get body bagged again.  Our defense is like Roc’s old defense and we lost a lot of close games like that, and throw in us having no punt game or kicker. Unless motor and Robison combined with Durante have the games of their life we may not even come close.   I hope they prove me wrong, a start would be to let De’Andre play more or even start and then we have a chance.  His explosiveness brings the Briles uptempo to life again and I still believe he has an edge, and I believe that he wants it more.  Hope for everything, expect nothing.  I will watch at home and root for our team with an open mind, I hope the unthinkable happens.
Back to the top

FWIW - I don't think we stand a chance catching them off-guard.  Much like the OU game, I think UCF wants to try and prove how good they are on a stage like this.  Ultimately they want to say they are the best team in the state of Florida.  FAU's 11-3 breakout season and all the media coverage last year/this Summer has led to not only the good CUSA teams circling the date of our game, but I think the same was true for OU and UCF.

That being said, we HAVE to find a way to RUN the football in this game and to avoid turning it over.  No way can the Owls afford many 3-and-out series or giving the Knights short fields because their offense is the real deal.  Like any game where you are a prohibitive underdog, controlling the ball by establishing a run game, turnovers, and special teams can be a difference maker.  Unfortunately, our special teams have been a difference maker for the opposition so far - and that is what really scares me.

It will take a much better game than we have seen so far for FAU to even hang around in this game.  I think the team is capable, but they need to find something this Friday to use as a spark for the rest of the season.
Back to the top
Control functions: