Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ #18 UCF Game Thread - September 21, 2018

Add topic

Regarding the QBs running - I saw what appeared to be a couple of well designed QB runs to the outside last Saturday.  I could have seen those going for huge gains and maybe even scores, but they ended up being good runs for first downs.  Robison looked better carrying the ball, but if you want to put pressure on a D you need to have serious playmakers out there on those runs.  On the UCF message board you can see some of them talking about their D having at least some issues against less-than-great competition so far.  So use Robison to find holes with intermediate passes and a few deep balls, but inject Johnson earlier in the game to try and get something going on the outside.

A little success with slants and controlled passes along with a dose of sweeps and outside runs by guys like DJ, Willie, and Durante would ***maybe*** give Motor more of a chance to run the ball.  FAU is going to need to move the chains (and avoid punts) because we need to keep Milton and that offense off the field as much as we can.

I also wouldn't be surprised for this to be where we see some of Kiffin's ingenuity from last season.  We had several well-timed/planned "trick" plays and we haven't really seen a hint of that so far.  They make work - they may backfire - but this is a good time to pull a couple out.

And serious question - how deep in our own territory is too deep to go for it on 4th down?  How deep is too deep to rule out a fake punt???
Back to the top

I am sitting on the visitor side in section 132. I was wondering where is the visitor seating section? Just incase I have to deal with obnoxious UCF fans. Also, will there be an FAU tail gate location before the game? I would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Go OWLS!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Regarding the QBs running - I saw what appeared to be a couple of well designed QB runs to the outside last Saturday.  I could have seen those going for huge gains and maybe even scores, but they ended up being good runs for first downs.  Robison looked better carrying the ball, but if you want to put pressure on a D you need to have serious playmakers out there on those runs.  On the UCF message board you can see some of them talking about their D having at least some issues against less-than-great competition so far.  So use Robison to find holes with intermediate passes and a few deep balls, but inject Johnson earlier in the game to try and get something going on the outside.

A little success with slants and controlled passes along with a dose of sweeps and outside runs by guys like DJ, Willie, and Durante would ***maybe*** give Motor more of a chance to run the ball.  FAU is going to need to move the chains (and avoid punts) because we need to keep Milton and that offense off the field as much as we can.

I also wouldn't be surprised for this to be where we see some of Kiffin's ingenuity from last season.  We had several well-timed/planned "trick" plays and we haven't really seen a hint of that so far.  They make work - they may backfire - but this is a good time to pull a couple out.

And serious question - how deep in our own territory is too deep to go for it on 4th down?  How deep is too deep to rule out a fake punt???
Posted On: Sep 18th 2018, 2:48 PM #380950

It's Lane – he will go for it if it's short enough deep in FAU territory at this point. Each and every punt makes me cringe as there is the potential it can easily turn into 7 for the other team.
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

I am sitting on the visitor side in section 132. I was wondering where is the visitor seating section? Just incase I have to deal with obnoxious UCF fans. Also, will there be an FAU tail gate location before the game? I would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Go OWLS!
Posted On: Sep 18th 2018, 2:55 PM #380951

Visitors' sections are usually 224 and 124.  You're not sitting next to a student section so you should be fine.

www.essency.net
Back to the top

essency said

TheREALowlsley said

Thanks

Go OWLS!
Posted On: Sep 18th 2018, 2:55 PM #380951

Visitors' sections are usually 224 and 124.  You're not sitting next to a student section so you should be fine.
Posted On: Sep 18th 2018, 4:29 PM #380953

According to UCF seating chart the visiting FAU fans are sitting 122 222 and 223(where my seats are).

Dan also said we have sold 4500 tickets can anyone confirm that?
Back to the top

We got a decent deal on tickets in section 134 a month ago… now I know why, it looks like it's right next to or even in the band section.  Can someone confirm this?  

Also, I would love to know of an FAU tailgate or an area where FAU fans will be congregated.
Back to the top

So I rewatched some of the BC game and I know we were all a little concerned about the results. I noticed a few things that I am sure were not unintentional. Let me start by saying that Both our starting safeties did not start (Zyon gilbert did play however, I saw something about violation of team rules so maybe the punishment was not getting the start). Other than that, I paid close attention to personnel and it seemed like throughout the whole game we were mixing people in and out, it seemed like any given play you would see 1's, 2's, and 3's on the field at the same time. I watched Malcom Davidson, the true freshman, get a single touch for 32 yards and get pulled. What I am getting at is I think lane wanted the result we got. He wanted to try a lot of different players to evaluate live performance but also see how they geled with guys they usually wouldn't take the field with. Once we were up 31-0 and he knew we had it secured, why not cause a little personnel havoc? It got put on tape, the team doesn't walk away over confident, and UCF is left feeling maybe a little too confident coming off a bye week. UCF is our last game before conference play and I wouldn't be surprised if he finally put's in all the right guys and opens up his playbook and gets that big OOC win the week before conference play.
Back to the top

sjacks78 said

So I rewatched some of the BC game and I know we were all a little concerned about the results. I noticed a few things that I am sure were not unintentional. Let me start by saying that Both our starting safeties did not start (Zyon gilbert did play however, I saw something about violation of team rules so maybe the punishment was not getting the start). Other than that, I paid close attention to personnel and it seemed like throughout the whole game we were mixing people in and out, it seemed like any given play you would see 1's, 2's, and 3's on the field at the same time. I watched Malcom Davidson, the true freshman, get a single touch for 32 yards and get pulled. What I am getting at is I think lane wanted the result we got. He wanted to try a lot of different players to evaluate live performance but also see how they geled with guys they usually wouldn't take the field with. Once we were up 31-0 and he knew we had it secured, why not cause a little personnel havoc? It got put on tape, the team doesn't walk away over confident, and UCF is left feeling maybe a little too confident coming off a bye week. UCF is our last game before conference play and I wouldn't be surprised if he finally put's in all the right guys and opens up his playbook and gets that big OOC win the week before conference play.
Posted On: Sep 18th 2018, 5:47 PM #380957

exactly what my thoughts were.   In fact, I am willing to go a step further and say we intentionally played poorly by missing steps/tackles, dropped passes, etc.  You can't go from that kind of lead to that poorly of play without intention.  Special teams, no questions asked, absolutely awful and totally unintentional.  Friday night will be our night to shine.  I just hope that FAU fans show up to this game and help offset this noise.  There's a lot of seats left on ticket master.  
Back to the top

JBOwl said

exactly what my thoughts were.   In fact, I am willing to go a step further and say we intentionally played poorly by missing steps/tackles, dropped passes, etc.  You can't go from that kind of lead to that poorly of play without intention.  Special teams, no questions asked, absolutely awful and totally unintentional.  Friday night will be our night to shine.  I just hope that FAU fans show up to this game and help offset this noise.  There's a lot of seats left on ticket master.  

Posted On: Sep 18th 2018, 6:01 PM #380958

I don't know if I would go that far, to say the players tried to play down. I do think Lane would put the team in that situation to play mind games however. What does he gain by keeping Malcom Davidson in and letting him rip off a few more runs like he showed on his lone touch? we score more points, put up something like FIU did and all of a sudden UCF and the media are thinking okay this is the FAU of old. Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better about overall performance but would it really shock anyone that even part of that was true. Come on guys, it's kif.
Back to the top

Also, think about this, UCF only has game film of a massacre in Norman, a modified defense to cover the triple option, and SOME film of a BCU game where literally at no point in the game did we actually have all of our starters in at the same time.
Back to the top
Control functions: