Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

LA Tech @ FAU Game Thread - October 26, 2018

Add topic

Roscoeowl said

I was one of the first on here to question how much losing Briles would influence the success of our offense this year
Posted On: Oct 28th 2018, 4:47 PM #382656

Hey man, I'm right there with you.  Right before the season started I posted this same concern.  I think there's enough data out there now to come to a conclusion and move on.

That being said, back then when I was doing some very basic, very simple comparative analysis on this topic (trying to remove the subjectivity and add some objectivity) I noticed a Kiffin led offense (using 2015-2016 to standardize OC data) scored 62% of the points for those two seasons.

This means the special teams and defense provided the other 38% of those two seasons' points.

There were some games (yes, plural) where the special teams and defense scored more points than the offense.

(Yes, Alabama had a nasty defense that scored in droves one year and that might have been one of these.  Again, not S&P plus level.  But there was also another dataset to compare against).

So, back when I posted "we're gonna need the special teams and defense to score" I wasn't just talking out my donkey.

The only reason I bring this up is because we've returned one kickoff for a touchdown (we won), and haven't returned a punt, fumble, or interception for a TD.  Right?

That partially puts us where we are now.
Back to the top

We got lucky w Briles, he needed a place to go while all the Baylor stuff was being investigated and we needed an OC that we could afford.  Going forward, we are stuck w up and comers or lower caliber experienced guys (see our DC). I would have felt a little better if we promoted from within, at least it could have been feasible to keep the same system.  
Back to the top

Interesting article if you want some clarity.

D'Eriq King, Kendal Briles and Houston's hyperspeed offense | SI.com

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Interesting article if you want some clarity.

D'Eriq King, Kendal Briles and Houston's hyperspeed offense | SI.com

Posted On: Oct 28th 2018, 11:16 PM #382670

Yeah, we got really spoiled with Briles last year.

I guess the questions I have are… does Kiffin realize it's Briles system that worked for us, does he understand it and think what he's running now is better or does he not actually understand and therefore can't replicate it, etc

I imagine he understands it but thinks he can just run his own thing better.

You could argue that you can't overhaul a system midway through the season and I get that, even though technically it's reverting to what most of them already know, so maybe next season is where it comes back.

But that seems like the kind of (ultimately misplaced) optimism that we had going into this season of, "oh yeah we have a coordinator change but we'll be doing the same exact thing because if it ain't broke don't fix it."
Back to the top

It is broken!

20 points in last 2 games COMBINED! Houston has scored 40 or more every game this year!

Seems all imagination, all flash and tempo are gone. WHY????
Back to the top

Important!
Posts from this topic have been moved by Rick. 3 posts have been transferred to Coach Lane Kiffin 2018 FIU Presser Notes.
Important!
Control functions: