Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

Rick said

DeltAlumnus said

Relates well why we had such a huge drop off at FAU this year. In 2017 we had a power 5 type coaching staff…….. This year we know the results.
Posted On: Dec 11th 2018, 7:56 AM #384099
Which is exactly why when we lost Briles, DC, and OL, I knew trouble was on the horizon.

Just thinking back on some of the expectations and predictions that were being floated…

:Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Posted On: Dec 11th 2018, 9:15 AM #384101
Well, I've got bad news for next year.  Unless somehow our roster and coaching greatly upgrades by August…were in for another 4-5 win season.

FSU on the other hand should be excited.  Their 2019 season will look completely different than this year.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

To play devil's advocate we had the best offense in the conference at 478.8 YPG…our issue was the inability to produce the dagger play, and continuity in drives to finish…we had to keep drives alive on 4th down because we couldn't hit a 35 yard field goal.

Things weren't as bad as they seemed in some categories - although the W category is all that maters - but we HAVE to have better play at QB and kicker next season or it will be ugly again.
Back to the top

Rick said

To play devil's advocate we had the best offense in the conference at 478.8 YPG…our issue was the inability to produce the dagger play, and continuity in drives to finish…we had to keep drives alive on 4th down because we couldn't hit a 35 yard field goal.

Things weren't as bad as they seemed in some categories - although the W category is all that maters - but we HAVE to have better play at QB and kicker next season or it will be ugly again.
Posted On: Dec 11th 2018, 9:50 AM #384103

This is what gives me hope for next year cause we weren’t that far off 
Back to the top

As far as next year, I know on paper things may look bleak, but this is C USA – really it can be a crap shoot and teams have a way of surprising folks.

As far as Briles, he used us, we used him – I never really felt he was going to stay unless he was the HC in waiting (even then no guaranty) when another opportunity presented itself after some of the Baylor stain was removed to a degree – and he didn't. Be happy we had him for that one magical year. I can only imagine what he can bring to that O in Tally.
Back to the top

Just keep in mind, we play Ohio State and UCF (two top 10 teams) the first 2 weeks.  

Let's just start with next year is a 10 game schedule.

To win 8 games, we will need to win 80% of our "winnable" games.  

With some of the issues I anticipate with our team, that would be one heck of an accomplishment.  7 wins would be a fantastic season.

I'm assuming Motor leaves for NFL.  We lose another 2-3 starting OL.  WR unit is a problem as of now.  Is Whyte declaring?  Defense is replacing a good deal and I am not sure what the deal is with the coaching.  Recruiting doesn't seem to be on fire.  Weiss...does he make strides as OC?  Does Robison develop and improve?

Lot of questions going into next season that are glaring red flags.

Back to the top

We lost 3 games by a total of 7 points, so yes we were very close to an 8-4 season - SAD ain't it! ANY even mediocre O at all in the three 2nd halves of any/all 3 of those losses and we are in a bowl game!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

We lost 3 games by a total of 7 points, so yes we were very close to an 8-4 season - SAD ain't it! ANY even mediocre O at all in the three 2nd halves of any/all 3 of those losses and we are in a bowl game!
Posted On: Dec 11th 2018, 1:14 PM #384111

A bad field goal kicker made the difference in 2 of those games. I didn’t get to see the one point loss game. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

They don't call it "special" teams for nothing!

They are S-P-E-C-I-A-L!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Dec 11th 2018, 1:14 PM #384111
A bad field goal kicker made the difference in 2 of those games. I didn’t get to see the one point loss game. 
Posted On: Dec 11th 2018, 1:46 PM #384112
That is a fair way to look at it.

I also look at the 2nd half of football games.  It wasn't just the kicking game that failed us.  Our 2nd half stats, especially in conference games…were horrendous.  It's a symptom of something bigger.  I am not 100% on what that is quite yet.

Let's see how things go this next season.  I think then with 2 full seasons without high level coordinator's (which under normal circumstance would never be in CUSA at the time in their careers they were) we will be able to evaluate Lane as a HC.

Back to the top

+1
Back to the top
Control functions: