Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Illinois - December 29, 2018

Add topic

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Illinois - December 29, 2018

What: FAU (8-4) vs. Illinois (4-8)

When: Saturday, Dec 29th @ 3:00 PM

Where: State Farm Center

Series: First meeting between the two teams.

TV: None

Live Video: BTN Plus (FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Illinois Team Site: Here

Illini at a Glance:

Offense - 74.9 PPG, 44% FG, 38% 3PT

Defense - 75.2 PPGA, 47% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 33.5 PG, 36.9 PG Opponents

Notables

Illinois has played the No. 9-ranked schedule in the nation by kenpom, and the second-toughest schedule among teams from the six major conferences (Kansas).

In contrast to their overall marks, through five home games, Illinois' defense is allowing an average of 68.8 points on 41.5 percent shooting, including 28.7 percent from 3-point range. Only one opponent has scored more than 75 points and shot better than 47 percent from the field at State Farm Center.

Illinois' five starters are all averaging between 9.5 and 16.5 points per game on the season. Every player in the rotation has shown the ability to lead the scoring attack, with a different Illini leading the team in scoring over a six-game stretch from Nov. 21-Dec. 8.

Over the last four games, sophomore Trent Frazier is averaging 19.8 points (79) while shooting 53.3 percent from 3-point land (16-30). Frazier has tallied back-to-back 20+ point games for the first time in his career, scoring 25 vs. East Tennessee State (Dec. 15) and netting 28 vs. Missouri (Dec. 22).

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 75.2 PPG, 42% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 69.2 PPGA, 41% FGA, 30% 3PTA

Rebounding - 41.6 Owls, 35.8 Opponents

Notables

Florida Atlantic hits the midpoint of a four game road trip against the Illini, while wrapping up their non-conference schedule. The team will move into league play after Saturday's tilt with contests against UAB (1/3) and MTSU (1/5).

Sliding a bit as of late, Owls currently have an RPI of 194, and are 1-3 on the road. The team is 7-1 so far this season when out-rebounding their opponents.

Junior forward Jailyn Ingram tore his ACL in the Owls’ game at Arkansas State and will miss the remainder of the year. Ingram was FAU’s leader in points (18.9 pg) and rebounds (8.2) at the time he went down.

FAU will likely look to senior Anthony Adger for increased offensive production in Ingram's absence. Adger made just six threes as a junior, but has hit 36 this year.

The Illini are heavy favorites, but if the Owls can play efficient, and manage a healthy percentage from the floor, the contest could still be within reach.

Opening Line Illinois - 15

Owl's Nest Prediction Illinois -8

Back to the top

This will be a real test. Illinois might be the best sub .500 in the nation. For what it's worth, WKU could join the Illini as on of the best sub .500 teams if they fall to Wisconsin this evening.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I’ll be there. I’m leaving in about a half hour. Not sure what to expect wearing FAU shirt and hat. 
There is a former FAU basketball player named Buchanan that lives in Champaign. I’m curious if he’ll be there. If I see any FAU fans at all it will probably be him. Most of the FAU alum in Illinois live around Chicago which is about 2.5 to 3 hours away. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

That's awesome! Enjoy the game!

Back to the top

Holy crap, we just can't catch a break with injuries. Silins will sit today's game. Sebree injured his ankle during yesterday's practice. He will see limited action today.

Back to the top

I feel like May is just trying to find any able bodies, and just throw them on to the court at this point.

Back to the top

Owls are, somehow, getting some rebounds, which are keeping the underdog Owls in it.

Back to the top

Owls are REALLY starting to feel themselves here. If it wasn't for so many stoppages because of scoreboard issues, FAU could have all momentum.

Back to the top

OWLS LEAD! What a play by Maitre, who jukes and dashes his way through the play en route to a beautiful layup and an and-one opportunity.

Back to the top

Have to give the Illinois defense credit, they are absolutely swarming the Owls.

Back to the top
Control functions: