Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 C-USA TOURNAMENT THREAD: FAU vs. LaTech - First Round

Add topic

Upset Minded FAU to Begin C-USA Tourney vs. LaTech

What: #9 Florida Atlantic (17-14, 8-10) vs. #8 Louisiana Tech (19-12, 9-9)

When: Wednesday, March 13 @ 7:00 PM

Where: Ford Center at The Star

Series: Following their 72-69 win at FAU last Wednesday, LaTech now owns a 5-2 series lead.

Video: ESPN+ (FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

LaTech Team Site: Here

Bulldogs at a Glance:

Offense – 73.3 PPG, 44% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense – 68.5 PPGA, 43% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.7 PG, 35.6 PG Opponents

Notables

The Bulldogs enter the C-USA Tournament following a three point victory in their season finale at FAU.

In that game, Eric Konkol's squad relied on Guards DaQuan Bracey (GH 21 points) and Amoire Archibald (16 points) to earn their first conference road win. As a team, LaTech shot 48% FG, 53% 3PT, and 80% from the charity stripe.

Bracey's and Archibald's strong performance last week should come as no surprise considering their recent form. Bracey has hit double digits in scoring in 23 of his last 24 games, allowing him to lead the team in PPG with 15.6. Meanwhile, Archibald has averaged 18.0 PPG in his last three outings, which includes shooting a stellar 51% FG and 56% 3PT.

Last time out, Forward Anthony Duruji had his hands full against FAU's big men. But his 20 double-digit scoring games and 38 blocks prove that he is a threat inside the paint.

LaTech has struggled away from Ruston with a combined 4-11 record either as the road-team or on a neutral court.

Owls at a Glance:

Offense – 68.1 PPG, 41% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 67.6 PPGA, 42% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.8 PG, 35.3 PG Opponents

Notables

The Owls will enter their fourth straight C-USA Tournament, despite a two game losing streak. After falling to LaTech by three last Wednesday, FAU traveled to Huntington for a 76-61 defeat to Marshall.

After the loss at Marshall, the team traveled straight to Frisco via Columbus, Ohio in hopes to be better prepared for a serious push in postseason play.

The Owls split their season series with LaTech, having won the first meeting in January 69-61. With both games taking place at The Burrow, this will be the first meeting between the two sides outside of Boca Raton in over a year.

A win will be FAU's first non-play-in-game conference tournament victory since 2008, and first proper conference tournament win at a neutral site since the A-Sun Conference Tournament Final in 2002. That punched FAU's first and only ticket to the NCAA Tournament, which resulted in a first-round 86-78 loss to Alabama.

Guard Anthony Adger leads the team with 16.6 PPG, 58 assists, 84% FT, and 33.9 minutes per game. In what could be the last game of his career, the senior from South Carolina needs seven more points to crack FAU's top ten for most points in a season. The tenth position is currently held by Carlos Monroe for his 2006-07 sophomore season.

Former LaTech Bulldog Xavian Stapleton is now second on the team in scoring with 14.1 PPG. That includes 47% FG and a team-high 39% 3PT. The grad student was named 2018-19 C-USA's co-Sixth Man of the Year. Playing like a man who knows his basketball career may be winding to a close, he has scored 12+ in the last six games, which covers his 16 points against LaTech last Wednesday.

Opening Line: FAU +4

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

A bit surprising to see Kev Ellis get the start at the #3 slot today. To be fair, it won't make much difference as Dusty May will likely make his substitutions early, but you'd think that he would want to go with a more experienced lineup to start.

Back to the top

What a start for our Owls! But, we saw this kind of start last Saturday vs. Marshall. The trick is to fight off Tech's runs, and make our open shots.

Back to the top

Owls are playing sound defensively, even showing some flashes of a full court press at times.

Back to the top

Payback time!
Back to the top

Absolutely loving our off-the-ball movement tonight. It's giving FAU many open looks inside the paint.

Back to the top

Stapleton is having himself a day! As we mentioned in the preview, he has been playing like a man possessed in the last few games. Well he leads all scorers with 14 points at the break.

Back to the top

Second half is underway from The Star.

Back to the top

Bulldogs are amidst a 12-0 run spanning over five minutes.

This is less than ideal…

FAU's lead us cute to four at the 13 minuted mark of the second half.

Back to the top

Hell of a time for us to get cold…..

Back to the top
Control functions: