Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TAKEAWAYS: FAU Football's Final 2019 Spring Scrimmage

Today marked the final 2019 spring scrimmage for the Owls. Given a late scheduling change, the session which was supposed to be open then became closed and with that limited the observations to be publicly noted.

That said, here are some takeaways as FAU closes the books on their third Spring under Head Coach Lane Kiffin.

QB Nick Tronti continues to show his a athletic ability

On the first drive of the scrimmage Tronti (photo above) put together a TD drive that was capped off with a 20 yard BJ Emmons run. It was Tronti’s legs that kept things going by picking up two first downs on the drive. Expect to see more designed runs and Tronti keeping his fair share of read options in the fall.

FAU Defensive tackles could be the deepest and most talented in school history

Ray Ellis has a had a great spring returning from his second knee surgery, and Charles Camron has had a bounce back spring after a tough season last year. Adding these players to the rotatation along with the experienced William Davis, Kevin McCrary and Noah Jefferson will allow the defensive line to keep fresh legs for the entire game.

John Raine continues to develop into a very reliable receiving threat

With Harrison lining up in the slot on the outside more, Raine is taking advantage of being a primary past catcher from the TE position. You can tell the QB’s are confident in throwing him the ball in any situation. Accordingly, don't be surprised to see him become a primary target on 3rd down and red zone situations.

Armani Adams, Teja Young, and Ahman Ross are all going to be Owl stars

Every drive today seemed to have one of them made a big hit, deflect a ball, or haul in an interception. The multiple defensive looks Glenn Spencer is bringing to FAU will allows more opportunities for these three young defensive backs to see the field in a crowded depth chart.

The Owls will return to the Oxley in August for fall camp while looking to build upon what appears to have been a successful spring campaign. The will be welcoming a number of newcomers who could very be in the mix for immediate contributions.
Back to the top

This is why there should be a two or three game preseason slate for college football. It could settle so many questions that teams waste in the first four games of the regular season.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

This is why there should be a two or three game preseason slate for college football. It could settle so many questions that teams waste in the first four games of the regular season.
Posted On: Apr 20th 2019, 9:27 PM #386012

The season for us if successful is already 14 games.

That’s enough for college kids.

Our first 4 games are basically pre season games if you look at it that way.  We need to set out to win conference USA.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Having only seen the team once this spring, I obviously am curious.  I try and read as many reports as I can. Oc, your report coincides with others . It seems you are accurate  in your assessment.  Another site called  the offensive side of the ball a mess. I hope we can score enough point to win a few next season..
Back to the top

It's early, but it sounds like our offense is going to have major issues from all accounts.
Back to the top

d-owl said

It's early, but it sounds like our offense is going to have major issues from all accounts.
Posted On: Apr 21st 2019, 9:29 AM #386017

It's Spring football and very little you see really will reflect on the season.

They are using a condensed playbook and holding a few guys out to prevent further injury.

People are not factoring enough the impact many freshmen will have at skill positions.

Out of the 10 or so skill, guys we are bringing in it is not unrealistic to think 3-4 will make an impact.

Some of the other reporters like to use doom and gloom a bit because it gets clicks, but they leave out real context.

The offense opened up the playbook a bit more on Saturday and I think I led to a little bit of sloppiness which is to be expected.

Back to the top

d-owl said

QB - who knows?

RB - who knows?

WR - Extremely thin and unproven

TE -  Good

OL - Need development and cohesion to happen.  Need some guys to take big steps here.  

I would expect the offense to start ugly through the first 3-4 games (we are going to have to rely on defense all year, but to start 3-3 need them to win us games first half of year).

We'll see what we have from there.  This is CUSA football so every year feels crazy, but to me this feels like a complete rebuild year...especially if CR is not on the squad come September.  For 2019 hope to go bowling, that should be the goal.  If by some miracle we win our side of the conference great.  But with the variables we have coming into this season 7 wins and a bowl appearance would be a good place to be.  I think in 2-3 seasons we will have a chance to be special.

Like I said last year…"grab a cocktail and just enjoy the Lane train".

Back to the top

walty12 said

d-owl said

QB - who knows?

RB - who knows?

TE -  Good

OL - Need development and cohesion to happen.  Need some guys to take big steps here.  

I would expect the offense to start ugly through the first 3-4 games (we are going to have to rely on defense all year, but to start 3-3 need them to win us games first half of year).

We'll see what we have from there.

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2019, 11:02 AM #386032
I went through every C-USA team I can find 3-4 real question mark positions.

I do think RB will be good as Emmons has looked good and James Charles has a nice spring and as I have said 1-2 of the RB's we are bringing in will make an impact.

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

walty12 said

d-owl said

QB - who knows?

RB - who knows?

TE -  Good

I do think RB will be good as Emmons has looked good and James Charles has a nice spring and as I have said 1-2 of the RB's we are bringing in will make an impact.

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2019, 11:07 AM #386033

Exactly.  It's extremely difficult to predict.  

Our D could be the best in the conference.  We may be starting a QB who has never started a college football game before (usually not a good thing).

Our roster has strengths, most of which seem to be on D.  On the offensive side of the ball, it feels like we have taken some chances with recruiting (QB, WR) and really missed…which is putting us in a complete rebuild type feel this fall.  The offensive line…need that to come together in a big way.  

Our 'stuff rate' wasn't 105 last year because our RB's sucked.  It was 105 because we couldn't run block worth a lick.

Back to the top

walty12 said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

walty12 said

d-owl said

QB - who knows?

RB - who knows?

TE -  Good

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2019, 11:07 AM #386033

Exactly.  It's extremely difficult to predict.  

Our D could be the best in the conference.  We may be starting a QB who has never started a college football game before (usually not a good thing).

Our roster has strengths, most of which seem to be on D.  On the offensive side of the ball, it feels like we have taken some chances with recruiting (QB, WR) and really missed…which is putting us in a complete rebuild type feel this fall.  The offensive line…need that to come together in a big way.  

Our 'stuff rate' wasn't 105 last year because our RB's sucked.  It was 105 because we couldn't run block worth a lick.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2019, 11:21 AM #386034

I have talked about this with you and many other and the difference between 4-8 and 9-3 in C-USA is nothing.

The talent gaps are not big enough for there to be.  

We were 5-7 and not dominated in a single conference game. Everyone we lost could easily be flipped (yes that includes Marshall)
Back to the top
Control functions: