Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Reality

I love basketball and watched the Warriors game last night. Their run over the last 5 years is by far one of the greatest in NBA history.  They got beat big time at home and Steve Kerr referenced how reality has set in.  Just like Kiffin has mentioned before we are not that same 2017 team.  No matter how much I try to think and feel, nothing was like that magical year, everything went right and was a fairy-tale story.  That 2017 team is what I consider program defining, the team that separated FAU from the bottom 10 of football, the team that broke conference records, the team that had the best player in program history also breaking records, and the team that on any given Saturday could beat any team.  The reality is now and we are a bowl bound team, what that means is if we can reach the 6-7 wins we will make a bowl and play another conference at a chance for notoriety.  See just making a bowl is just not enough, not as long we have Kiffin, We should be building the foundation of becoming a mid-major powerhouse like a Boise or I hate to say it UCF.  In order to go further we need wins, we need better scheduling and we need a plan of action to be attractive enough for the next conference realignment.  We need to come up with a schedule or a hot list of teams that are geographically close, well respected, and is a game that matches our style of play ( No Triple option teams).  Once we can determine teams of that nature we seek out middle of the pack Power 5 teams, that historically are the step child's of their leagues that are just in the leagues because of the school itself( Ole Miss, Miss st., Purdue).  Then add one FCS school that is out semi cupcake game,and I would love if we invited Colgate back for a long awaited rematch.  The CUSA is all over the place so some years we will have to deal with UAB or LA tech, but with alternate years of playing that can be good in the sense we play them on a rebuilding year.  We need need a theme that is unique to us.  The sparklers when the players come out the tunnel, the beach themed music/ train sound after a touchdown,  a themed chant( similar to the Boomer Sooner chant),  and themed jerseys like a throwback to the jerseys we had from the program's inception.  A cool take on the jerseys are we wear the all white on the road and the all red at home, but when we reach a bowl game or conference championship we switch the colors.  Similar to the Boca Raton Bowl years ago with the red helmets and pants, it gives the players a chance to express feeling fresh with different colors like a reward.  I just hope we don't play an App st. in the New Orleans Bowl, us maintaining an undefeated bowl record is our only positive.  What do you think will make us go further to the next level?
Back to the top

I must ask…

Do you hate line spacing??

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Scheduling is done in advance. Wins will attract good players. Need to build a winning culture and one that is sustainable. Needs to be more than up this year and down the next. But first they need to dominate C-USA. 
Back to the top

Disappointed we couldn't carry the momentum from 2017 into 2018. Yes, there were substantive coaching changes and some holes to fill, but in C USA we should have still been a dominant team with Motor and Whyte in the backfield. I think last year set the program back a bit. We had the momentum and spark we all knew we could have at some point, and whiffed in 2018.
Back to the top

Proactive hit the nail on the head - start with trying to dominate C-USA first.  Appearing in the championship game on a recurring basis would probably mean 7-8 wins just in conference.  The FCS game is another, then you’d have the conference championship and a bowl game to try and get 9 or as many as 11 wins.  

When teams do that on a routine basis is when they 1) get heavy fan support, 2) get ranked, and 3) start legitimately showing up in conversations about conference expansion/realignment.  In the G5, from Boise State before to UCF recently to App State now, consistently winning is the major step the Owls need to take. 
Back to the top
Control functions: