Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin to FSU?

Coach Kiffin has reportedly expressed interest in the now vacant FSU position with the firing of Willie Taggart.

Back to the top

Yeah, as soon as I heard about the firing I became a tad concerned.
Back to the top

This is concerning but it’s a business. 
Back to the top

FSU HAS TO MAKE A STABLE HIRE AFTER THE JIMBO AND SLICK WILLIE YEARS!!
Back to the top

There is a lot to put to think about it here.

I think this is more of Jimmy Sexton (who is also Willie Taggart's agent) putting it out there.

They may want to test the waters and see where Lane stands nationally after a couple of solid years and could be nudging FAU for a raise.

Lane said in an athletic article for him to leave it would have to be a place he could win championships and FSU fits that.

I also do not think FSU can risk Lane as he is still polarizing to many and after spending 40 million for 21 games of Willie they need a safe can not miss hire.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

There is a lot to put to think about it here.

I think this is more of Jimmy Sexton (who is also Willie Taggart's agent) putting it out there.

They may want to test the waters and see where Lane stands nationally after a couple of solid years and could be nudging FAU for a raise.

Lane said in an athletic article for him to leave it would have to be a place he could win championships and FSU fits that.

I also do not think FSU can risk Lane as he is still polarizing to many and after spending 40 million for 21 games of Willie they need a safe can not miss hire.

Posted On: Nov 4th 2019, 1:34 PM #390552

Although I thought the blind refs tweet was awesome, it probably created some more criticism for Lane from these bigger programs which can actually be a good thing for us
Back to the top

I believed Kiffin would stay at least 4 years and I still stand by this notion.  Shane maybe right it might be a ploy to get more leverage based on his performance getting us bowl eligible for the 2nd time.  Kiffin's name will always be thrown into these searches but lets be real, he burned a lot of bridges and made a lot of people angry  off in the process.  FSU is going for a blue blood perennial winner and that is Urban Meyer, he is the only coach that can turn it around. Taggart was their Mcelwin, if he worked out then that's great but if he didn't there is no ties to keep them.  Let's say Lane does get hired,  the moment they lose it will be more scrutinized than Taggart.  If FSU took that chance they risk credibility, and years of development and losses for something unproven.

For example, would you give Kiffin a 4 million a year contract when he couldn't even beat Charlotte last year at home to become bowl eligible, of course not.  No one is risking their job to hire an unproven winner.  I say unproven because of the track record of jumping to the next job. He has a winning record everywhere he was a head coach in college.  I think he needs to prove himself more, lay low and just win and when the time comes the right school will come calling.  He had one great year, if we won the CUSA this year and was 11-3 again then this helps his case that he's ready for the leap.  I think he stays, if he fails again he is done as a head coach.   If FSU hired him, their fan base will be angry.
Back to the top

Nothing I’m concerned about yet. But if FSU was interested in Lane I think this would be a job he would leave for and I wouldn’t blame him. 
Back to the top

Lane will leave some day. I don't think the fsu job is the one. I feel fsu  just failed at a risk hire. Lane, believe or not, is a risk hire. They will be a little more conservative this time. Of coarse  , I could be 100% wrong
Back to the top

To me slick Wille was a HUGE risk hire, jumped at first offer, left Oregon after one "decent" 7-6 season and to me is a very good recruiter but very poor Coach!
Back to the top
Control functions: