Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Desired Bowl Game Scenario

I think FAU’s positive over the years is showing up for bowl games!  Those are the only nationally televised games that we play good in.  I have seen even since last year when we were on the bubble that the Bahamas bowl was a likely destination for us.  Last week I saw this same destination as well as us being 70th best in the nation via USA Today.

If we went to say the Gasparilla bowl we possibly face UCF up north,  the New Orleans bowl will possibly have App. St., which can be a hard game.  If we played in the New Mexico bowl we possibly play A ranked SDSU for an example.  We are surging at the right time.  What bowl game scenario do you think will be beneficial for us or a matchup you would like to see?
Back to the top

Gasparilla against one of the aac teams (Memohis, smu, Cincinnati). That would be ideal for me. 

As for ideal for the team? Probably first responders against a lower tier big ten team. 

But I’d personally much rather stay in state and play against a really good G5 team. Not saying we would beat them, but it would be a heck of a time! 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Gasparilla against one of the aac teams (Memohis, smu, Cincinnati). That would be ideal for me. 

As for ideal for the team? Probably first responders against a lower tier big ten team. 

But I’d personally much rather stay in state and play against a really good G5 team. Not saying we would beat them, but it would be a heck of a time! 
Posted On: Nov 3rd 2019, 9:37 PM #390535

Gasparilla in Tampa against a solid AAC team would be a good wrap up to the year and I would definitely make the trip.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I’d like to see first responders and get a shot at a big12 or big 10 team. 

I know we will never be selected but New Orleans bowl will always be my first choose just for selfish reasons because it would be the most fun trip to make 
Back to the top

“Best” is always hard to gauge because it depends on the perspective.  Best for the program depends on if you look at payout or exposure (often those go hand-in-hand but sometimes they don’t).  Best from a fan depends on if you value the team we play versus the location versus the convenience of attending.

My take is I would prefer to play on the biggest stage we can - that would mean the time slot, the opponent, and the network that carries the game.  This year the Boca Bowl could be a quality AAC team, be on ABC on Saturday, and be a game we can all attend.  The team probably wants to go somewhere else and would prefer First Responders or filling a P5 spot that can’t be filled.  I’ll be happy with anything New Orleans or East so I can more conveniently take my daughter and just enjoy.  
Back to the top

I would be happy with anything besides the Bahamas Bowl or the Hawaii bowl. I would make the trip to Tampa with 10 family members if that was the case that would be a great trip/vacation. Nice to know we are going to go bowling!
Back to the top

The bowl projections are all over the place.  I know there is quite a bit to be decided on the field for many teams, but just about every single one I have looked at has FAU predicted somewhere different.  Jerry Palm is one I really don't like - it has FAU playing against Ohio in the First Responder Bowl (Dallas) on 12/30, while other C-USA teams get better match-ups against teams like App State, SMU, Cincinnati, and even North Carolina.  I hope this one is way off:

NCAA College Football - CBSSports.com
Back to the top

owlsdad said

The bowl projections are all over the place.  I know there is quite a bit to be decided on the field for many teams, but just about every single one I have looked at has FAU predicted somewhere different.  Jerry Palm is one I really don't like - it has FAU playing against Ohio in the First Responder Bowl (Dallas) on 12/30, while other C-USA teams get better match-ups against teams like App State, SMU, Cincinnati, and even North Carolina.  I hope this one is way off:

NCAA College Football - CBSSports.com
Posted On: Nov 25th 2019, 12:08 AM #391122

Yeah, no "Big Macs" this time around; want a decent G5 team if not a lower tier P5.
Back to the top

It seems like this is primarily decided at the conference level more than the school now.  Hopefully Lane and our AD are already lobbying the C-USA office.  Like I said - still a lot to be decided.  But I would think a 9 or possibly 10-win team with Kiffin as the coach would be interesting enough to warrant being considered for one of the fill-ins where P5 conferences can’t meet their numbers.

My middle daughter is at FSU, and I saw one projection of the Owls and the Noles in the Independence (we saw that mentioned a lot in 2017).  There is a chance Miami goes to the Gasparilla.  It would make sense if the conference wants to show itself off, it would send the top teams either to places with marquee match-ups or to where they think they can get the most publicity.  They may think they are doing that with First Responder since it has a tie-in with the Big-12, but that doesn’t matter if it doesn’t have a P5 team in it. Plus it is not in the Cotton Bowl this year but at SMU’s stadium. AND last year didn’t this game between Boise and Boston College get canceled due to weather?

I’d say this would be my last pick based on all that. 
Back to the top

I check on all the bowl projections whenever they come out. Before we are always mentioned for the Bahamas bowl, but now I have seen  us in the Independence bowl against FSU,  Gasparilla Bowl against SMU, and First Responders bowl against Ohio.  The week before I saw us in the First Responders bowl agains TCU.  I also saw a match-up with Cincinnati in the Boca Raton bowl as well somewhere. I would love if we played a TCU,  the FSU game would be fun but a loss can setback the season.  If we can win the CUSA title and become 10-3 I think we should go to the best bowl with the best exposure against a quality opponent.  I don't want to play UCF again either, part of building our brand sort of like a Boise we need to play different opponents in different bowl games.  Its weird to say I would rather play a TCU as opposed to a SDSU, MW teams play hard.  I think the guys deserve to get rewarded and traveling is a great way to get that done. What is a good dream match-up for us in a bowl game>
Back to the top
Control functions: