Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Rice - January 9, 2020

Add topic

FAU Takes 2-0 C-USA Start to Houston for All-Owl Battle

What: Florida Atlantic (10-5, 2-0) vs. Rice (8-7, 0-2)

When: Thursday, January 9th, @ 8:00 PM Eastern

Where: Tudor Fieldhouse

Series: Rice owns a 4-3 historical advantage over FAU. Although, FAU has won two of three when visiting the Tudor Fieldhouse.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

Rice Team Site: Here

Rice at a Glance:

Offense - 73.3 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 74.1 PPGA, 45% FGA, 31% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.2 RPG Owls, 38.1 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Rice Owls will wobble into their contest against FAU having lost three straight. This includes big defeats at the hands of Marshall and WKU last week.

The Owls from Houston are led by sophomore SG Trey Murphy III, who averages 13.4 points and 1.5 steals per game. His 5.8 RPG places him third on the team in boards, while his 37% 3PT makes him C-USA's second best three-point shooter.

Rice Head Coach Scott Pera is midway through his third season in Houston, but has now lost his 50th game with the Owls in Saturday's 68-61 fall to WKU. Pera is now 28-50 as Rice Head Coach.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 71.7 PPG, 43% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 65.5 PPGA, 43% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.3 RPG Owls, 33.3 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls from Boca Raton head to Houston on a hot streak. Dusty May's team have won six of their last seven games, including sweeping their conference openers against UTSA and UTEP. The 2-0 in-conference record is the best start since FAU joined C-USA.

Last time out, the Owls won a gritty matchup against UTEP, 59-56. FAU out-scored the Miners 13-3 in the closing moments of the game. Richardson Maitre paced the team with 14 points and 6 boards, which were also personal bests for the guard so far this season.

Grad Transfer Cornelius "Scooter" Taylor still paces the Owls in scoring at 10.4 PPG, but he's now the only FAU player averaging double digits. Michael Forrest, Karlis Silins, and Jailyn Ingram average 9.9, 9.3, and 9.1 PPG respectively.

Opening Line: FAU +1

Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Interesting opening line, I have FAU at -4 with my "formula".

Back to the top

I agree, Rick. At +1 FAU I’ll be buying a small country. 
Back to the top

Well the Opening Line sure has seen some movement. Most websites have the game listed as a Pick 'Em, or FAU -1.

I think FAU's 1-4 road record is scaring some people away, and I don't blame them.

Back to the top

Looking forward to this one. FAU has struggled on the road to begin the season, this will be a great opportunity to change that trend. Interested to see how F Madiaw Niang will be used tonight. The sophomore make several key plays at the end of the UTEP game, after sitting out the prior game due to injury. Also, grad transfer G Cornelius Taylor has struggled to get going early in games, hopefully he can find his stroke early to keep the pressure off some of the younger players.
Back to the top

Interesting change to the lineup as Niang replaces Ingram.

Back to the top

Just getting word that Ingram will NOT play tonight.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

Just getting word that Ingram will NOT play tonight.
Posted On: Jan 9th 2020, 7:57 PM #393263

Traveled but not playing? Any idea why?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Wow. Ingram is out due to concussion like symptoms after a collision during practice with Jaylen Sebree.

Hope he gets well soon!

Back to the top

Poor guy can't catch a break…neither can we.

Every time the wheels start turning, something happens - at the WRONG TIME!
Back to the top
Control functions: