Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ ODU - January 25, 2020

Add topic

Owls Travel to ODU Looking to Break Two Game Skid

What: Florida Atlantic (12-8, 4-3) vs. Old Dominion (7-13, 3-4)

When: Saturday, January 25th, @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: Chartway Arena

Series: The Monarchs own a 7-2 edge, despite the Owls winning the previous game a year ago.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

ODU Team Site: Here

ODU at a Glance:

Offense - 63.2 PPG, 40% FG, 27% 3PT

Defense - 64.3 PPGA, 41% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.7 RPG Monarchs, 33.4 RPG Opponents

Notables

The defending C-USA Tournament Champions crawled into conference play having lost 8 straight thanks to a daunting out-of-conference schedule where the Monarchs fell against Illinois, VCU, and Loyola (Chicago), to name a few.

That tough stretch hurt ODU once C-USA play got underway, with the Monarchs dropping four of their last five games. The lone win was a 66-62 victory over Charlotte on Monday.

Last time out, ODU missed a buzzer-beater three-point attempt, allowing FIU to leave Norfolk with an 83-80 victory.

Not known for an overpowering offense, but a stout defense, ODU only has one player, Xavier Green, that is currently in the conference's top-25 highest scorers.

Aaron Carver is the only C-USA ball player averaging over 9 RPG, allowing him to pace the league with 9.5. That average increases to 10.4 RPG when against conference opponents.

As a team, the Monarchs' 40% FG and 27% 3FG places them at the bottom of C-USA in both categories.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 72.2 PPG, 43% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 68.6 PPGA, 44% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.5 RPG Owls, 33.6 RPG Opponents

Notables

FAU continues their road trip northward towards Norfolk following a gut-wrenching loss at Charlotte. The Owls led for over 38 minutes, including having a 14 point advantage with 7:30 remaining before the 49ers launched their comeback with a 13-0 run. Despite falling 70-68, the Owls covered the +5 spread.

This is the second loss in as many games, and the third loss out of the previous four for Dusty May's Owls. The Owls gave up over 50% FG in all three loses, with Middle Tennessee being held to 45.8% in the lone FAU win during that stretch.

Guard Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor saw his PPG rise to 12.7 following a 16-point effort against Charlotte. Forward Jailyn Ingram now joins Taylor as the only other Owl averaging double digits after draining 14 points on Thursday, bumping his average up to exactly 10.0 PPG.

Despite the loss, Richardson Maitre totaled 13 points for his third straight double digit shooting day. His game high 5 assists gives him a team-high 45 this season.

Shockingly, forward Jailyn Ingram leads the ball club in rebounds with 4.4 per game, besting players like Madiaw Niang (4.3), Aleksandar Zecevic (4.2), and Karlis Silins (3.4). FAU rides the median of C-USA in rebounding, placing seventh with their 36.6 RPG.

The Owls currently place sixth and seventh amongst C-USA teams in scoring offense and defense, respectively. Since conference play began at the New Year, FAU's rankings shift to fifth offensively, and ninth defensively.

Opening Line: FAU +4

Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

This is an important game.  Feels like we are skidding . We need to get a win on the road.
Back to the top

Despite the opening line of +4 for FAU, I have us at -1.7 point favorites…

What team will show up in the second half?

Will we hold on to some of the early game match-up tweaks we have used to gain the lead in recent contests vs teams we were underdogs against for the second half?

Hope so.

Will I eat crow?

Hope not!

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I forgot to bring up after the last home game the team went over and gave high fives to the student section and the kids who lined up by the tunnel.  Classy move, hope it continues.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Rick said

Despite the opening line of +4 for FAU, I have us at -1.7 point favorites…

What team will show up in the second half?

Will we hold on to some of the early game match-up tweaks we have used to gain the lead in recent contests vs teams we were underdogs against for the second half?

Hope so.

Will I eat crow?

Hope not!

Go Owls!
Posted On: Jan 24th 2020, 9:02 PM #393652

I hope you are right, that last one stung.

I know I am expecting too much too soon with this young team and new coach but we are right there and can’t put together a full game.  We are 100% heading in the right direction I think I’m just getting greedy but it’s been a drought in b-ball for so long.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Some pretty big changes to the starting line up.

Back to the top

It's all Jailyn Ingram and Michael Forrest right now, as the the pair combine for all of FAU's 13 points.

Back to the top

dusky256fc said

I forgot to bring up after the last home game the team went over and gave high fives to the student section and the kids who lined up by the tunnel.  Classy move, hope it continues.
Posted On: Jan 25th 2020, 3:35 PM #393664

Love that! It's the little things like this that help to build a program.

Back to the top

Owls and Monarchs are going back-and-forth. We've had 4 lead changes, and 6 ties so far this half.

Back to the top

HALFTIME. ODU leads FAU 31-28.

Yeah, this had been a pretty ugly game so far. The final couple minutes was especially painful as neither team could find the bottom of the net.

Back to the top
Control functions: