Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Top 25 watch

jgf2017 said

I guess they haven't made the AP or Coaches poll. I just checked. They were the 3rd team receiving votes (28th overall) for a week in 2018
Posted On: Jan 27th 2020, 10:07 PM #393779

It was probably a few computer polls. I am not trying to make GSC/GSU something they were not but that would have to have been dirring the FCS Johnson or Erk eras & maybe under HC Fritz in 2014 & 16 our first 2 years in FBS.

Back to the top

GSU Rankings

If your talking 2016 - 2019 then  defenetly not. From 2016-17 we went trough 3 head coaches in those 2 years after HC fritz left. 2016 we were bad,in 2017 we were really bad and in 2018 -19 were average  average at best. The last 2 years have been comback years especially for are offense in particular our offensive line and zone blocking. Eather our bolcking gets much better or we remain an average offense.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

The real question is with the talent coming back can we START somewhere close to being ranked?  That is the real issue for a program like ours - climbing up from being so far down the list.

*(People that start in the top-25 usually get the benefit of the doubt and hang around.  People that start in the others receiving votes get to jump in when the early season ranked teams falter.)*

So being recognized in the top 30 or so next September would be almost as big as finishing this season #27. 
Posted On: Jan 15th 2020, 8:59 AM #393400

And its better to lose early in the & not in your last 5 games.

App. State was the only Sunbelt team to be ranked in the top 20 Coaches and AP polls.
Back to the top

As much as I’m grateful that Kiffin helped turn the program around, and I think he should be in the hof, the job isn’t finished. The top 25 is one of many goals 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

As much as I’m grateful that Kiffin helped turn the program around, and I think he should be in the hof, the job isn’t finished. The top 25 is one of many goals 
Posted On: Jan 28th 2020, 8:14 PM #393795

Its always great when a fan respects the HC, staff & players that did a great job for the team!
Back to the top

We shockingly got 5 votes in the AP poll today. We got none in the coaches. That’s nice. Maybe if we win out we could make it. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

We shockingly got 5 votes in the AP poll today. We got none in the coaches. That’s nice. Maybe if we win out we could make it. 
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2020, 3:26 PM #398058

I saw this, the way it’s set up we are possibly ranked 32 by the AP.  Liberty lost and had 31 votes and are on the outside at a ranking of 27.  They are on the fringe and this says that we are as well.  The AP is more prestigious in my opinion.  If we can win out get blowouts with near shutouts we can sneak in but we need to win.  We
Would then have a winning streak with dominating defense performances that look good for voters.  Once again we need to beat MTSU, given our history I hate sorry teams like this stand in our way of keeping a winning streak or getting ranked.
Back to the top

This is the 4th straight season that we have received top 25 votes at some point. I think that if and when we get in we will be more of a team that people will like. 

G5 Teams that have recently been in the top 25  like Boise State and a Cincinnati and Liberty and Coastal Carolina don’t spark the imagination. They’re boring names in places people don’t want to be, even UCF. But if we make the top 25 and people see Florida Atlantic, they’ll be more drawn to it as we have a great name. One great year and when people are talking about us as a premier G5 team in a place that people want to be. We can position ourselves to be the premier G5 team. Location matters a lot more than some people might think.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

This is the 4th straight season that we have received top 25 votes at some point. I think that if and when we get in we will be more of a team that people will like. 

G5 Teams that have recently been in the top 25  like Boise State and a Cincinnati and Liberty and Coastal Carolina don’t spark the imagination. They’re boring names in places people don’t want to be, even UCF. But if we make the top 25 and people see Florida Atlantic, they’ll be more drawn to it as we have a great name. One great year and when people are talking about us as a premier G5 team in a place that people want to be. We can position ourselves to be the premier G5 team. Location matters a lot more than some people might think.
Posted On: Nov 25th 2020, 4:09 PM #398110

Not sure I agree with this. Boise State has a long history of being ranked and pulled off a Fiesta Bowl win against Oklahoma. They are a known commodity with a big name. Coastal Carolina seems to be this year's darling. They have been a TV a ton and didn't just crack the top 25, but are pushing the top 15 (I think they were ranked #15 at one point). Look at basketball and the Sweet 16. There is often a Cinderella team and it doesn't much matter where they are located. People tune in and root for the underdog; especially if the underdog has a good story.

Sure location matters for attracting students, but fans who might never go to a game will still jump on the bandwagon from all across the country based on wanting to affiliate with an up and comer (see above mention of Sweet 16). I don't know that Florida Atlantic as a name has any more allure to the casual fan than UCF, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, etc. However, it would be nice for FAU to get some visibility and have a broader fan base that extends well beyond FAU territory.

All this in mind, FAU doesn't have a signature win this season. I wish we had played Minnesota. A win against them and we would be in the top 25 based solely on where Minnesota was at the beginning of the season. Obviously they are now nowhere near where people expected them to be, but an early season win against a BIGTEN team would matter.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Nov 25th 2020, 4:09 PM #398110

Not sure I agree with this. Boise State has a long history of being ranked and pulled off a Fiesta Bowl win against Oklahoma. They are a known commodity with a big name. Coastal Carolina seems to be this year's darling. They have been a TV a ton and didn't just crack the top 25, but are pushing the top 15 (I think they were ranked #15 at one point). Look at basketball and the Sweet 16. There is often a Cinderella team and it doesn't much matter where they are located. People tune in and root for the underdog; especially if the underdog has a good story.

Sure location matters for attracting students, but fans who might never go to a game will still jump on the bandwagon from all across the country based on wanting to affiliate with an up and comer (see above mention of Sweet 16). I don't know that Florida Atlantic as a name has any more allure to the casual fan than UCF, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, etc. However, it would be nice for FAU to get some visibility and have a broader fan base that extends well beyond FAU territory.

All this in mind, FAU doesn't have a signature win this season. I wish we had played Minnesota. A win against them and we would be in the top 25 based solely on where Minnesota was at the beginning of the season. Obviously they are now nowhere near where people expected them to be, but an early season win against a BIGTEN team would matter.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 25th 2020, 9:46 PM #398121

Yup location only matters with students and recruiting.

FAU needs fans and TV money.

Cinniatti's athletic budget is almost twice as ours.

Liberty has over 100k students between online and on-campus and like Notre Dame and BYU they have become the face of an entire religion.

Coastal is a very similar school to us and recently won a baseball national title!

When bigger conferences see our location they think about fickle South Florida fans.

They see under 10k showing up to see an 11-3 team in a championship game after having a huge name coach for three seasons.

FAU has hired a couple of new faces in marketing and in public outreach, which will hopefully help.

Back to the top
Control functions: