Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Band

It’s not just one thing that is the issue…just like our attendance issues, game day experience concerns, ect. don't just have 1 solution. 

Yes more funding helps. That could be in the form of: new uniforms, new/more instruments, more money for scholarships, more chances to travel to away games, more graduate assistant positions, more staffing, ect. 

So does having an athletic department that gives the band opportunities to play/perform more. Not playing radio music over top of them and not cutting halftime time because of specialty groups/awards/marketing stunts. An athletic department that helps the band with practice space (especially lighted space during late fall when the time changes). **from what I’ve seen and heard, the athletic department has drastically improved in the more recent years regarding these issues, but they were issues for many years prior. 

A college (arts and letters) that supports the athletic bands. Not just looking at the marching and pep bands as the step child. Having staff who are making recruitment a priority (this was a major hiring point when they recently got a new athletic band director).

Having students that care…that stay in band past freshman/sophomore years. I mean retention is one of the biggest issues with our band. There’s always new students joining but it won’t grow if older students quit. Older students quit for many reasons, but the above things definitely take a toll. Feeling like the band isn’t improving or that no one likes or cares about your performances is another issue. Advisors recommending against taking courses that aren’t in you major is something to note (had it happen to me). Cost of paying for credit hours to participate in band (all the bands are technically classes and finances could affect a student being able to stick with it year after year). And why stay in a group that is always being put down (by other students, fans, ect.). 

I’ve always said more needs to be done with the local high school bands. Band day shouldn’t just be seniors. Band day at big band schools like FSU and Troy are usually inviting the area’s entire band to come and perform on the field. They literally cover the entire field with high schoolers. This would also be a lot of butts in seats (although would be free-ish tickets). But still…

More performances at high school marching competitions need to be done. But this takes money and time. That’s more practices, more days that the band members have to give up to perform, more travel expenses, ect. Maybe even hosting a marching competition. But again that would take a lot of man hours, planning, and money. 

Having winter color guard and winter drum line ensembles bring in high caliber players/performers. That’s why FIU’s guard and drumline are huge. Because people want to earn spots to do the winter season. 

Not cutting the twirlers for “budget reasons” at the last minute, and now having to try and rebuild that group two years later. 

Having students and fans participate in the game day performances! Doing the cheers/chants and even singing the fight song! And better yet, having the football stay for the alma mater. 

Just making sure the band feels appreciated goes a long way for retention, which leads to growth. Coach S each year would come talk to us at practice during our pre season training (band camp) and even several times throughout the season. This goes a long way and I’m not sure the other coaches have done this. A lot of times you’ll see the big schools post videos of their head coaches pumping up their band before a big game. 

When the team makes it to a bowl game or championship game, actually sending them. In 2008 we had a decent sized band, but it was demoralizing to not be sent to the bowl game. That’s the fun stuff. Yes the band members love playing and performing, but they also love when the team wins and they get to travel somewhere. 

And of course winning helps. All those years of losing and mediocrity hurts recruitment too. Why perform if no ones coming to the games and we are just losing. 

So….I know I know I’m just rambling, but it’s not just one thing. It’s a lot. Yes money can help. Yes attention to recruitment can help. But complaining over and over doesn’t help.

AEA
Back to the top

All great stuff dmarkey! Thanks for sharing it and the contacts info especially!

But to me it all comes down to the leadership of Dr. Kelly, if he makes it a priority and tell Arts & letters to, it will happen.

And I don't know, maybe he already does. Being a band Dad from a GREAT HS Marching band in N. GA all you say resonates with me 100% - it IS up the school ADMIN to set the priority!
Back to the top

I hear that USF is going to try and out do your band at half time by bringing in a rock group that better represents the USF mentality than their marching band.  :Smug:

Back to the top
Control functions: