Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ LaTech - February 15, 2020

Add topic

FAU vs. LaTech in Final Contest Before Bonus Play

What: Florida Atlantic (14-12, 6-7) @ Louisiana Tech (18-7, 9-4)

When: Saturday, February 15th, 2020 @ 3:00 PM Eastern

Where: Thomas Assembly Center

Series: The Bulldogs own a 6-2 advantage over the Owls, including win two of three last season.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

LaTech Team Site: Here

LaTech at a Glance:

Offense - 73.9 PPG, 46% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense - 62.4 PPGA, 40% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.3 RPG Bulldogs, 34.2 RPG Opponents

Notables

Winners of five of their last seven, the Bulldogs enter Saturday's contest having clinched a position in C-USA's top pod for Bonus Play.

Last time out, LaTech upended FIU in a 60-58 defensive slugfest. Guard Amorie Archibald drained a team-high 17 points, hitting double digits for the 15th time this season, and including four of his last five games. That's good to make him the second highest scorer in the team at 11.4 PPG.

Senior guard DaQuan Bracey paces the team with 12.4 PPG. Unless these two teams meet in the C-USA Tournament, this will be the last time the Owls face Bracey. The prolific guard has been a thorn in FAU's side for years.

As a team, LaTech's 62.4 opponent's PPG tops the league and places the Bulldogs 25th in the nation defensively. This allows the "Dunkin' Dawgs," as they are called in Ruston, Louisiana, the only double-digit scoring margin in C-USA (11.5).

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 70.5 PPG, 43% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 68.3 PPGA, 44% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.8 RPG Owls, 35.0 RPG Opponents

Notables

Thanks to thee straight loses, including a heartbreaking 68-66 defeat to Southern Miss on Thursday, the Owls see themselves in a four-way tie for seventh place in the conference. That positioning has cemented FAU's place in the middle pod for C-USA Bonus Play.

Jailyn Ingram was the lone bright spot in Thursday's two point loss. His 21 points was a game high, while his 8 boards paced the team. His 21 points tied his season-high, set on December 22nd, 2019 when the Owls traveled to Ingram's home-state of Georgia to face Mercer.

Moreover, his 21 point showing was his first double-digit performance in three games. Before that slump, Ingram averaged 15.3 in a span of six straight double-digit scoring nights.

Grad transfer Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor still leads the team in scoring a 12.1 PPG. Ingram is not far behind at 10.9 PPG. Where Ingram is not behind in is in rebounding, where the strong forward's 4.9 RPG now tops the team.

As a team, the Owls are starting to slip offensively. Once in the upper half in the conference in shooting, FAU's lowly 42.5% FG shooting places the Owls second-to-last in the conference, tied with woeful Middle Tennessee.

As of Friday afternoon, the Owls' podmates are ODU, UAB, Marshall, and UTSA. Dusty May's Owls have gone 2-2 against those opponents this season with the wins over UTSA and Marshall, both coming at The Burrow.

Opening Line: FAU +11.5

Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Wow 😳 +11.5

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Line moved to FAU +11 just before tip.

Back to the top

I'm  not certain I would take fau with 11. Not playing well.
Back to the top

We're underway from the TAC in Ruston! Hopefully Ingram can give us another big outing.

Back to the top

Fire Dusty.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

HALFTIME. LaTech leads FAU 43-26.

Owls are shooting a woeful 25% in the first half. With our weakened offense, paired with LaTech's stout defense, we somewhat expected this. Yet, I don't think any of us thought it would be THIS poor.

Back to the top

We've had glimpses have some strong play, just haven't been able to continue that consistently. I just don't understand why we keep trying to shoot three pointers when we're 1-12 in the opening half.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

We've had glimpses have some strong play, just haven't been able to continue that consistently. I just don't understand why we keep trying to shoot three pointers when we're 1-12 in the opening half.
Posted On: Feb 15th 2020, 4:04 PM #394124

This is not the first or second time we’ve stuck shooting 3s when we are shooting less than 10%

Frustrating

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Seems to be a nation-wide pandemic.  Everybody thinks the 3 will bring them back, when normally if you are off it just digs the hole deeper. 
Back to the top
Control functions: