Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BREAKING: Ath Ja'Marquis Johnson commits to FAU Football Class of 2020

Add topic

The Owl's hot streak on the recruiting trail continued with a commitment from one of the highest-rated wide receiver prospects in school history.

Berrien high school's Ja'Marquis Johnson has chosen the Owls over a host of power five offers ranging from Georgia Tech to Mississippi State.

Like others who have recently committed to FAU's class of 2020, Johnson had a prior relationship with head football coach Willie Taggart and recruiting coordinator Raymond Woodie.

"I had gone down to FSU a couple of times when they (Taggart and Woodie) were there and build a relationship with them," Johnson told FAUOwlsnest via phone call.

The Nashville, Georgia native is also teammates with current FAU commit defensive line commit Jaden Wheeler.

"It's definitely a positive when you can go to the same school as a friend and teammate.''

Johnson's decision to become an Owl was also impacted by his recruitment host, current FAU standout safety Ahman Ross.

"Ross and some of the other guys told me what a great brotherhood they have here and I could definitely feel it.''

Johnson played quarterback, running back, and receiver for the power running Berrien high school, leading the team in passing and rushing categories.

While Johnson definitely has an impressive athletic frame of 6-4'' 205 lbs it might surprise some fans that the duel sport athlete has taken a liking to soccer over more common sports such as track, basketball, or baseball.

The three-year varsity starter who plays defense and as an attacking forward has credited soccer to making him a better football player.  

"Soccer has definitely made me a better player from footwork to stamina and overall athleticism.''

Johnson becomes the second wide receiver commit to FAU football class of 2020.
Back to the top

This is a massive get for FAU at a much-needed position.

Also, it should be noted for all the soccer fans out there as well, his favorite team in Barcelona.
Back to the top

I just signed in relief. This was what we needed. And the 6'4" is so important today.  Chris Robison should be happy . Now we need to rustle up a couple big time db's for the future. Way to go coaches.
Back to the top

I read  he might not play offense.          ????
Back to the top

HUGE HUGE HUUUUUUGE get for us.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I've followed JaMarquis since he was in middle school. I am photographer for local newspaper, The Berrien Press. The first time I saw him was on soccer field, where he just ran past everyone to make a goal. The next time that I saw him was on the Berrien Middle School basketball court, where no one could even think about stopping him. Then, he got to high school, and, continued to play basketball, but, found that football was probably best suited for him. He went from a pretty wirey 6 foot, under 200 lb receiver, to a 6-3 to 6-4, 215 or so, strong young man.

In my opinion, anyone would be a fool to not use him as a receiver. Send him across the middle, hit him, and, he has a very good chance to end up in the end zone, as I've seen him do. Or, do an ally-oop pass to him in the end zone, which I've also seen. Berrien didn't really have the QB to show all his skills. In fact, he played as QB quite a bit his senior year, but, his strength is getting a few steps to get up to full speed, catch the ball, because he will out jump the defender, and, gallop for a big gain. He is also good as defender, particularly intercepting passes, but, only a fool would find that as his best asset.

P.S. the photo at the top of this thread was taken by me. :)
Back to the top

wendagbailey said

I've followed JaMarquis since he was in middle school. I am photographer for local newspaper, The Berrien Press. The first time I saw him was on soccer field, where he just ran past everyone to make a goal. The next time that I saw him was on the Berrien Middle School basketball court, where no one could even think about stopping him. Then, he got to high school, and, continued to play basketball, but, found that football was probably best suited for him. He went from a pretty wirey 6 foot, under 200 lb receiver, to a 6-3 to 6-4, 215 or so, strong young man.

In my opinion, anyone would be a fool to not use him as a receiver. Send him across the middle, hit him, and, he has a very good chance to end up in the end zone, as I've seen him do. Or, do an ally-oop pass to him in the end zone, which I've also seen. Berrien didn't really have the QB to show all his skills. In fact, he played as QB quite a bit his senior year, but, his strength is getting a few steps to get up to full speed, catch the ball, because he will out jump the defender, and, gallop for a big gain. He is also good as defender, particularly intercepting passes, but, only a fool would find that as his best asset.

P.S. the photo at the top of this thread was taken by me. :)
Posted On: Feb 18th 2020, 10:06 PM #394166

GREAT shot and proves your point about his ability. Any receiver or DB needs to get the ball at the high point, don't wait on it! We just had a GREAT TE from GA!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: