Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BONUS PLAY GAME THREAD: UAB @ FAU February 22, 2020

Add topic

FAU to open Bonus Play with rematch against UAB

What: UAB (16-11, 7-7 CUSA) vs Florida Atlantic (14-3, 6-8 CUSA)

When: Saturday, February 22nd, @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: Abessinio Court at FAU Arena

Series: FAU is 2-10 all time against UAB. In mid-January UAB defeated FAU 65-68.

TV: None

Stream: CUSA.tv

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

UAB Team Site: Here

UAB at a Glance:

Offense - 70.8 PPG, 42% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 75.4 PPGA, 46% FGA, 40% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36 RPG Blazers, 37 RPG Opponents

Notables

UAB enters Saturday`s match up as the winners of two straight games, both against Middle Tennessee State. This game will mark the beginning of Bonus Play for the Blazers who are playing in the middle pod. UAB had a strong start to the season and were 9-4 entering the new year, however the team struggled to find consistency in CUSA play. In non-conference action the Blazers almost upset Texas and Memphis, only losing by a combined 18 points.

UAB is led by the back court duo of G Jalen Benjamin (15 PPG) and G Tavin Lovan (15 PPG.) Benjamin, a true freshmen from Raleigh, North Carolina has nine 15+ point scoring performances this season. In the January contest, FAU limited Benjamin to 9 points on three of nine shooting from the field. One of the rising stars in CUSA this season is G Tavin Lovan. The sophomore scored a season high 25 points on February 12th against Middle Tennessee State.

In his 4th season at the helm is head coach Robert Ehsan. Last year, the former Virginia Tech and Maryland assistant led UAB to a post season trip to the College Basketball Invitational.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 70.4 PPG, 42% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 68.8 PPGA, 44 % FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37 RPG Owls, 35 RPG Opponents

Notables

Looking to put an end to their 4 game losing streak, the Owls will host UAB to begin Bonus Play in the middle pod. FAU is 12-3 in The Burrow this season.

Keep an eye on G D.J. Robertson, the true freshmen has received more playing time since G Everett Winchester suffered a season ending injury. Robertson scored a career high 8 points against Louisiana Tech last week and has a very bright future here in Boca Raton.

Standing out in the Owls recent loss to Louisiana Tech was F Karlis Silins, who scored 13 points with 4 rebounds. The former Ole Miss Rebel is shooting an impressive 42% from three point range. A key matchup will be Silins vs UAB F Mahktar Gueye (7 PPG, 5 RPG). Both are tenacious rebounders who help to spread the floor for each teams respective ball handlers.

Look for F Jailyn Ingram (11 PPG, 5 RPG) to continue to be aggressive in the paint. The team captain has two double-doubles this season.

Latest Line: FAU -2.5
Back to the top

It's almost time to play some basketball!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Wow. No Ingram tonight in FAU's Starting lineup.

Back to the top

Solid start thus far for FAU! Will surely take this considering how we've historically played against the Blazers.

Back to the top

Owls offense continues to shoot well as we near the end of the first period.

Back to the top

HALFTIME. UAB leads FAU 35-33.

Back to the top

We're in a dog fight here in the second half.

Back to the top

FAU has a 12-1 run to lead 61-57 with 1:07 remaining!!!

Back to the top

OWLS WIN! The streak is snapped!

Back to the top

Here's Dusty May following his Owls' first win over UAB in FIVE YEARS!

Back to the top
Control functions: